Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently watching the united- zenit game and ive come to realise somthing...
we dont have a outright corner taker.

for me corners are one of the most important things in the game and also one of the best chances to score.

but if you watched the game aginst pompy you mite of realised that we didnt take any proper corners they were all short.

have we got a out right corner taker or diliverer? lets look at our options

Carrick - hes alright at them dont think hes up to beckhams or giggs stardard.

Giggs - yeah he can take them but mainly now only from his favored side imo

nani - he ont play week in week out if we have a fit team and i also dont think his crossing is up to par yet

hargraves - i think hes perhaps our best taker but will he start most games?

we dont need new wingers but i do feel we dont score enough from corners id love to see the goals from corner ratio from last season to say 98/99,

fair enough i accept that we play different football from back then but is it down to our dilivery or lack of hight upfront?

i think we need more thret from corners imo

your views?:confused:

23 mins into the zenit match so you watch, well score from a corner

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
We don't have much height so it's difficult either way, excluding Ferdinand and Vidic obviously. I think Carrick can take 'em as can Giggs, just not Nani ffs!

Perhaps we need to practise working something clever from corners rather than a cross in the box. Like Zenit did today, and we did last season at Anfield.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
NOT NANI FFS....Its ridiculous, he just cant take a corner. Id do a better job ffs :rolleyes:

It has to be Hargreaves and Giggs. One on either side so the ball curls towards goal. That is all.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because I'm DC said:
We don't have much height so it's difficult either way, excluding Ferdinand and Vidic obviously. I think Carrick can take 'em as can Giggs, just not Nani ffs!

Perhaps we need to practise working something clever from corners rather than a cross in the box. Like Zenit did today, and we did last season at Anfield.
yeah fair point i know carrick and giggs can but i just dont see us scoring enough from them

i find it annoying and feels like missed chances

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Nani's a great corner taker when he gets them right.

But he always takes far too long in a game to get it right, and thats only if he gets them right at all in the game :rolleyes:

I think Carrick should be in the box, as he adds height. But he is a good taker.

I think Giggs corners are getting worse. They seem to hit the first man a lot and aren't good enough imo.

Hargreaves is probably the best, but he doesn't play that regularly to take a lot of corners and give us enough.

Corners certainly worry me, but also defending corners worries me as well. :eek: We always seem to concede quite a few more goals from set-pieces than some other teams. And getting all 10 players back into the box doesn't seem to help either.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Hargreaves and Carrick from the left, Giggs or Evra from the right. In-swingers are seem to be the most effective.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
manutd004 said:
Nani's a great corner taker when he gets them right.

But he always takes far too long in a game to get it right, and thats only if he gets them right at all in the game :rolleyes:

I think Carrick should be in the box, as he adds height. But he is a good taker.

I think Giggs corners are getting worse. They seem to hit the first man a lot and aren't good enough imo.

Hargreaves is probably the best, but he doesn't play that regularly to take a lot of corners and give us enough.

Corners certainly worry me, but also defending corners worries me as well. :eek: We always seem to concede quite a few more goals from set-pieces than some other teams. And getting all 10 players back into the box doesn't seem to help either.
im very glad some one has worrys about corners also

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
piazza said:
Yeah he's lost it a bit. Playing here will do that to you.
he lost his freekick at real mate cause he was behind in the pecking order,

with united. scored loads of free kicks for england

after united, has scored one for england

says it all really

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
andersons_left_foot said:
he lost his freekick at real mate cause he was behind in the pecking order,

with united. scored loads of free kicks for england

after united, has scored one for england

says it all really
He still sets up goals for England from free kicks. He also scored some good ones at Real too but, like you said he always had to contend with guys like Roberto Carlos and the other Galácticos.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
piazza said:
He still sets up goals for England from free kicks. He also scored some good ones at Real too but, like you said he always had to contend with guys like Roberto Carlos and the other Galácticos.
yeah thats true but hes not so much of a goal thret but still was an amazing corner.

taker were would we be in 99 if we didnt have him taking the corners?

which brings me to my next point wheres are corner taker with the presence of beckham ??

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
andersons_left_foot said:
yeah thats true but hes not so much of a goal thret but still was an amazing corner.

taker were would we be in 99 if we didnt have him taking the corners?

which brings me to my next point wheres are corner taker with the presence of beckham ??
99 also would've been a completely different story if Keane and Scholes weren't suspended, we wouldn't really have needed to score in stoppage time IMO.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
piazza said:
99 also would've been a completely different story if Keane and Scholes weren't suspended, we wouldn't really have needed to score in stoppage time IMO.
well never know lol i still feel were in need of a fantastic corner taker

1 - 20 of 29 Posts