Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As United prepare to commence battle against their neighbours across the M62, we thought we'd ask you one of the toughest questions in football - could you welcome a Liverpool player to Old Trafford?

For every United fan, there's only one answer, a firm no or should that be 'no mate.'

Since Leeds United's fall from grace, the Scousers have stolen the white rose's mantle as our fiercest rivals.
We hate them and they hate us. How do we know that?

All you have to remember is two years ago in the FA Cup tie at Anfield. Alan Smith suffered a potentially career threatening injury that was applauded by the home fans.

Not content with that, a small gaggle of fans then prevented the ambulance from leaving the stadium, hurtling bottles and missiles at the ambulance.

This forum is not naïve enough to think this is endemic of all Liverpool fans, but it's a very real reminder of the hatred that exists.

Over the years there's been a couple of examples where former United players have contemplated joining the dark side.
Gabriel Heinze famously briefed his agent to secure a move to Rafa's Spanish armada.

Within the space of the 10 seconds that it took for those words to leave the Argentines lips, United fan's love affair with the player was over.

To use the metaphor of a relationship, that was it. There was no marriage guidance or time apart to discuss what both parties wanted.
No remorse or memories of the good times. He was out. Bags packed, ticket purchased, out of sight and out of mind.

His time at United will forever be remembered for that one sentence. Then we come to Paul Ince. The self-proclaimed governor of Old Trafford.

Once Sir Alex had decided that Ince no longer had anything to offer United as a midfield force, Incey was packed off to Inter Milan.

Every fan knew he would return to England, Italy wasn't a disaster for him nor was it a resounding success.

On his return to England, Ince committed the ultimate sin. He joined Liverpool.
You'd have thought his experiences on leaving West Ham would have at least taught him something. Sadly not.

65 appearances for Liverpool erased the 206 times Ince played for United.
After saluting the Kop, we forgot how Ince helped Sir Alex end United's quest for the league title in 1993.

We forgot how he helped nurture Ryan Giggs into one our of most successful players ever.
Anyway, would you ever openly embrace a Liverpool player within the bosom of the United faithful?

Could we ever accept a Stevie Gerrard or Fernando Torres into the home dressing room at Old Trafford?

Of course it's very unlikely that a player such as Gerrard or Carragher would ever join United. Imagine Gary Neville going the other way?

But, what about a Michael Owen or Nicolas Anelka? We almost signed Anelka?

What do you think? Do you agree or disagree? Speak your mind or forever hold your silence.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
It would take a while for me to welcome a Scouser into the team tbh.

And with my bro being a Liverpool supporter it would be hard.

But really, are any Liverpool players good enough for United? :p

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
manutd004 said:
It would take a while for me to welcome a Scouser into the team tbh.

And with my bro being a Liverpool supporter it would be hard.

But really, are any Liverpool players good enough for United? :p
Wayne Rooney :rolleyes:

Not a legend no, but Torres would get into our team. Would of loved to have got him in the summer. Ah well.

Prefer any of our team over those murderers anyway.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Wayne Rooney is here and hes a great guy so why not ? As long as they dont support Liverpool, i dont mind Everton play some decent stuff unlike Bindippers.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Never in my life would i welcome a red scouse (blue scouse is fine obv i.e rooney). i agree with the part about heinze. i liked him, but as soon as i red the paper "heinze wants to make his DREAM move to liverpool" he was out of my mind in a instant.

how anyone can dream of a move from Manchester United ! - The best team ever seen in football - to LIVERPOOL is beyond belief. i was glad fergie blocked the move and sold him.

i truly hate scousers, only really on the football side of things, other then that there a right laff (i work with a couple). but me, i'm a true red, i'm a gary neville. red 4 LIFE ! for queen and country ? for fergie and manchester ! ;):)

Stephen said:
Wayne Rooney :rolleyes:

Not a legend no, but Torres would get into our team. Would of loved to have got him in the summer. Ah well.

Prefer any of our team over those murderers anyway.
wayne rooney didnt play for liverpool mate. and besides, he was a blue, not a red. :)

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I don't think there has ever been a direct transfer of a player from United to Liverpool or vice-versa.

I would have loved to get Torres, class act he is.

I don't think it will ever happen to be honest, Unless Liverpool get relegated ;)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Keano4taoiseach said:
I don't think there has ever been a direct transfer of a player from United to Liverpool or vice-versa.

I would have loved to get Torres, class act he is.

I don't think it will ever happen to be honest, Unless Liverpool get relegated ;)
i think there was one back in the 30's. or it mite have been to arsenal am not sure.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Forever_United said:
Never in my life would i welcome a red scouse (blue scouse is fine obv i.e rooney). i agree with the part about heinze. i liked him, but as soon as i red the paper "heinze wants to make his DREAM move to liverpool" he was out of my mind in a instant.

how anyone can dream of a move from Manchester United ! - The best team ever seen in football - to LIVERPOOL is beyond belief. i was glad fergie blocked the move and sold him.

i truly hate scousers, only really on the football side of things, other then that there a right laff (i work with a couple). but me, i'm a true red, i'm a gary neville. red 4 LIFE ! for queen and country ? for fergie and manchester ! ;):)

wayne rooney didnt play for liverpool mate. and besides, he was a blue, not a red. :)
I know that.

The title of this thread is scouser, and the guy who I quoted said it would be hard accepting a scouser in the team.

But Wayne Rooney is a scouser.

·
Banned
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah but who would have Wayne Rooney not play for United? What meant in general when i said "scousers", I actually meant Liverpool.

Also I think Phil Neville is doing well at Everton, I'm sure he gave us that goal at the end of the season ;) It didnt look like an own goal and seeing Fergie rub Phil's head after the game was priceless.

I know deep down Phil Neville thought, yesss....United are going to win the title thanks to me. :D But he had to hide it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
If he is class and can play good football and if that type of player cannot be found anywhere esle then why not? But atm there is no one like that at Liverpool. Okay I hear people saying Torres? Well his a clinical striker and I am sure if we spend good amount of cash we can find someone like him in the world, maybe Augero or Villa or Huntelaar or E'to and the list goes on with the people we could bring in instead of him or a red scouser.

Gerrard? Well like the article suggests he is like our Scholes and Carragher is like our Gary Neville so a move or swap would never occur so no point in thinking about it lol I personally would of wanted Torres or Mascherano to come to Man United but it didn't happen but Im not just set on these two like its them or no one else, like I said Im sure there are other players who do not play for liverpool with the same class/potential which we could bring in so basically we should avoid it because of our rivalry but if its nessecary then why not. Players who move around then eventually come like Ince did I see is OK because I wouldn't mind if Owen comes to us now but if it is like what Heinze is apparently going to do (just wait till next transfer window to move to liverpool) then I say NO and we should assissinate him somehow!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pfft if we got offered Gerrard or Torres i'd take them straight away.
Even Reina i'd snatch up, maybe even Mascherano/Babel.

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
the last player to transfer between the two was phil chisnell in 1964 he left united to play for the dippers . 44 years of zero transfers between clubs tells you all you need to know . the expectation levels would be through roof for any player mad enough and after any poor game the scouse link would come up

·
Registered
309 Posts
To be realistic its aint going to happen i my lifetime but if a Gerrard or Torres became available then why not if they are putting performances in every week and giving 100% effort to the cause. That said its hard to imagine local mickeys like carragher or Gerrard having the same commitment for united as they would for the pool.footballers though by nature are selfish given the short career life span and when you look at the likes of maurcie Johnston going from Celtic to rangers or figo going from Barcelona to Real madrid who's to say that this rivalry is immune to such treachery.it wll be a very long time though and only as sbdy's previous post said if the scousers get relegated cause we won't!!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts