Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking if Rooney could convert into a deeper role as Scholes is retiring soon. And then we could have Tevez and Berbatov up front. What do you's think

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Out of rooney and tevez i would put tevez there but i think we will see roon and tevez sharing games, and berba too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Unless we're going to play a 4-4-2 diamond, I dont see it happening. Furthermore, as we've seen in the past, when Rooney is playing out of position, his game tends to go down the drain. With Anderson coming up, and the depth we have at the center of the park, there's no need to place Rooney there. The only convenience would be having 3 top strikers on the field, but there would be no balance in that lineup (specially if you consider having ronaldo on the pitch at the same time).

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think Wayne has the ability to play almost anywhere on the pitch. He is a team player and will do what's best for the team, rather than what is necessarily best for him.

I think he could be asked to play centre midfield, but I don't think that is his best position. He would have to do a lot of work tracking back and picking the ball off the defenders to start an attack, whe really he would be more deadly up the other wnd of the pitch in and around the opponents penalty area.

I'm sure SAF has considered playing Wayne in midfield, but it wouldn't be his best position in my opinion.

I remember a few seasons back when Roy Keane retired, Rio filled in a couple of times in centre midfield, v Wolves in the FA Cup and v Blackburn in the league both in January/February 2006. He did a job there but was never at his best there and I think the same situation would arise with Wayne.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
---------------Tevez-----Berbatov
---------------------Rooney

he's a supporting striker, why not support two people? Granted CT will be tracking all over the place, but Berbatov won't be, thus leaving Wayne all the options he could ever desire.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
--------------------------VDS------------------------
-Brown---------Rio-------------Vida--------Evra--
-------------------Ande-------Carrick----------------
--Ronaldo----------Tevez-----------------Rooney-
------------------------Berbatov----------------------

Why not this one?

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
In 10 years - maybe. Right now he doesn't have anywhere near enough disclipline.

Scholes is currently a ball retainer wheras Rooney is more of an all action player.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I think yes. Given time I could see him converting into a role just behind the strikers in the hole. I literally just posted a response about this in the other thread.

Of course he will have to work on his passing. Still I could see it happening. Incidentally does anyone else see Anderson more as a defensive mid than an attacking one?

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
16-Keano-16 said:
I was thinking if Rooney could convert into a deeper role as Scholes is retiring soon. And then we could have Tevez and Berbatov up front. What do you's think
i think you are 100 per cent spot on as for waynes true calling . wise beyond your years i would say

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
i have been thinking about it for quite some time already. will it work? rooney has the ability to play in every role on the pitch, and with his passing ability, creativity and vision, he will make a great attacking midfielder. but i still think he has a lot more to offer when he is deep in opponent's half

·
Registered
934 Posts
Rooney could play as an attacking mid.
But, his best position will always be striker.
He has that killer instinct and as yang said
he has more to offer as a striker than as
an attacking mid. We already have Carrick,
Hargo, Scholes, Ando, Possebon that can
play CM.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I would rather use Tevez as that one who can drop down deeper instead of Rooney...then again we do have Anderson =D

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
:rolleyes:
right now 4-3-3
when Slave is back here is it

Tevez and Rooney rotate for second striker roll

Berbatov and Manucho rotate for main striker roll

ROONEY IS A STRIKER IF HE DIDN'T SCORE IN THREE MATCHES THATS NO CRIME :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I think Anderson did well as a defensive midfielder against the likes of the dippers and arsenal last year . But I really believe his best position is playing behind 2 strikers , something we never saw till the Pompy game last week , when he was immense .... However I think the signing of Berba means less games for Anderson , as we will be plaing with two DM ' s in front of the back 4. Probably Carrick and Scholes . Answering your question , I think no , Anderson would be better off playing a more attacking role ....

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I think that depends of which version of Scholes you're referring to.

If you are talking to the Paul Sholes of yesteryear than my answer would be 'Yes'.
If you are referring to the current version of Paul Scholes, however, than my answer would be 'No, not yet'. :)

Currently it would be a bit of a waste of Rooney's pace and strength to play him any deeper behind the front line. He'd play there that's for sure. he'd play anywhere the boss asked him too, but with his first touch, body strength, ball skills and pace, he has to play as a striker, so I don't think he should be converted to the Paul Scholes position just yet, but as he loses his pace AND GAIN MATURITY, it would be a very wise thing to do.

Tevez gravitates naturally into very deep positions, so we might as well let him play deeper and use Wayne further upfield.

Roney - Berbatov

Tevez ------------- Ronaldo

Anderson - Carrick

Evra - Vidic - Ferdinand - Brown

VDS​

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
piazza said:
---------------Tevez-----Berbatov
---------------------Rooney

he's a supporting striker, why not support two people? Granted CT will be tracking all over the place, but Berbatov won't be, thus leaving Wayne all the options he could ever desire.
that would work put ronaldo into the frame as well and you have berbatov right up front , with lots of pace and movement around him , mouthwatering:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts