Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Premier League move for a change of Champions League final venue.

The Premier League could write to Uefa to request that football's European governing body considers moving the venue for the Champions League final in advance of the prospect of an all-English showdown, The Times understands.

Manchester United will join Liverpool and Chelsea in the last four of the competition should they see off the challenge of AS Roma in their quarter-final, second leg at Old Trafford this evening.

There are fears that an all-English final, particularly one that thrusts together Liverpool and United in Moscow on May 21, could be marred by serious crowd violence.

It is an almost identical situation to last season when Liverpool and Chelsea were paired in one semi-final and United and AC Milan in the other. United's 3-2 defeat by Milan in the second leg at the San Siro averted the mouth-watering but daunting prospect of a final against Liverpool in Athens, but the Premier League are thought to be keen to guard against such a possibility arising this season.

Uefa dismissed as a non-starter the possibility of switching last season's final from Athens to Wembley in the event of Liverpool or Chelsea and United reaching the final, but that would not necessarily prevent the Premier League from making a similar request this time around.

It is believed that the Premier League could recommend the game be played at a neutral venue in England, with Wembley the obvious candidate, or at a stadium in Scotland, such as Hampden Park or Ibrox.

The Premier League are mindful that Moscow has been planning and preparing for the Champions League final for many months and that to change the venue at the eleventh hour - however unlikely - would cost the Russian capital millions in revenue and also set a dangerous precedent, but there are genuine fears that European football's showpiece occasion could be blighted by violence, especially if United and Liverpool, arguably English football's fiercest rivals, are paired together.

Uefa, nonetheless, are likely to give short shrift to such an idea, and point to the 2000 final between Real Madrid and Valencia, the Spanish clubs, in Paris and the all-Italian encounter between Milan and Juventus at Old Trafford, both of which passed off peacefully, as evidence that trouble is far from guaranteed and that Moscow could successfully welcome 100,000 English supporters.

Uefa would almost certainly seek talks with British police to deal with the anticipated logistical nightmare should the final be an all-English affair.

There was widespread relief among the police forces of Merseyside and Greater Manchester Police (GMP) that a United-Liverpool final was avoided last season and they will undoubtedly like to see such a scenario averted again this term.

One senior police figure at GMP told The Times that a United-Liverpool final would represent “the worst scenario imaginable†and both forces would almost certainly welcome a venue change.

Aside from the obvious threat of trouble in Moscow, there would be concerns about flight arrangements to and from the Russian capital, with fans of both clubs just as liable to travel from Manchester and Liverpool airports.

The potential problem of masses of rival fans descending on Moscow en masse, feasibly on unsegregated planes, would just be one of several other issues to resolve.

Although relations between United and Liverpool at a boardroom level were strained over the Gabriel Heinze transfer saga last summer, Rick Parry, the Liverpool chief executive, and David Gill, his United counterpart, are on good terms and, like the police, would doubtless back any attempts by the Premier League to have the venue switched.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article3713680.ece

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Wow thats interesting. Doubt it would ever happen but its a good idea in all
fairness. A final at Wembley would be awesome.
If it is Pool/United in the final in Moscow I feel there will be trouble and
violence. Its inevitable really, isnt it?

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
They wont change the venue - and why should they ... ?

Moscow is going to make so much money from this it will be impossible to
compensate the city for losses, which I imagine they would ask for.

If it is United 'v' The Dippers not only do we have a scenario where these guys
hate each other - but there is the added threat of Russian hooligans wanting to
join in too ... :eek:

All in all it is a big headache for GMP, Scouse police and Russian police !!!

Unlucky Mr Policeman ... as they say in Russia ... Paashol v'chorte, perestan'bit
dabayobom, past' zakroi !! :mad:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Interesting read! But I doubt there will be a change like the article already said. I also was thinking about the all Spanish final and the all Italian final which were not changed and were peaceful so UEFA really won't go through all that hassle to change it and plus it would be very very rude to the Russians who have been preparing the natural grass all winter for the final because the game will not be played on artificial grass. I am so happy with the semi-finals and cannot wait till we play against Barca. Even if we lose, all I want to see is a good football match like the 3-2 win over AC Milan last season in the Semis! Of corse I think we will go to the final but even if we don't I will be satisfied if we play good football unlike the 3-0 loss at Milan ehh..In the final I would like revenge over last season's FA Cup loss to Drogba and co BUT I would also love to shut those scousers mouths about how they are the kings of Europe by embarassing them!!!!

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Really selfish idea. What about all the people who are traveling in from far overseas? They've been saving for ages, it could be their first ever final and they've spent months booking their hotel's, flights etc. Then at the last minute they have a few weeks to completely rearrange their travel plans and search for accommodation that'll probably be booked up anyway. It would screw up plenty of people's plans and anyway English fans aren't the worst out there. If it was Italian fans maybe I'd understand but a Liverpool Man United final wouldn't descend into a blood bath.
I think. ;)

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
dlan4327 said:
Really selfish idea. What about all the people who are traveling in from far overseas? They've been saving for ages, it could be their first ever final and they've spent months booking their hotel's, flights etc. Then at the last minute they have a few weeks to completely rearrange their travel plans and search for accommodation that'll probably be booked up anyway. It would screw up plenty of people's plans and anyway English fans aren't the worst out there. If it was Italian fans maybe I'd understand but a Liverpool Man United final wouldn't descend into a blood bath.
I think. ;)
You make some good points here that no one else has mentioned so far ... the problems with travel and accomodation would be a joke too !!

The more I think about re-locating this final - the more stupid it seems ... :rolleyes:

Just the kind of thing Russia is good at ... :D ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dlan4327 said:
I think. ;)
In realality...i cannot see it happening.

Sorry dlan for picking your post as the one to quote..
But it highlights all that is wrong in the way some supporters
view the game today.

Supporters overseas saving for ages, first final ( probably first ever game) having their plans disrupted ? Oh dear we wouldn't want that would we ?
How about the thousands of fans who go week in week out for the last 20, 30, 40, 50 years that live in England and Manchester ?
Yep , you got it right, a cup final now isn't about the real supporters, it's about the one off corperate glory hunters with the most money.

There wont be serious trouble between United/looserpool supporters ?
You've obviously not been to OT and anfailed when we play then.
Travelling on the same trains, flying on the same planes, 50-100,000 Mancs and scousers in the same place, Russia ( that most of the English hate), Vodka by the gallon for 10p ???

I've got my £5,000 and my picnic basket ready. :D ;)

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
milan vs juventus at old trafford wasnt moved neither was madrid vs valencia so if we get there they wont change where the final is

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
There is no way UEFA would agree to changing the venue for the Champions League Final. It would be unfair on Moscow and giving a month's notice is totally unacceptable.

There may well be trouble if it's a United v Liverpool final but who's to say either team will get there? I can't see there being any trouble if it's United v Chelsea.

·
Registered
293 Posts
im sure there will be a lot of security in Russia. otherwise UEFA wouldn't have allowed it to be hosted their. besides it's unfair to Moscrow, they were rewarded hosting the final and then it would be stripped off them because two English teams got to the final.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
dont think it will happen.....especially after russia tried so hard in to prepare for the champions league final.....i am not a supporter of that idea...but what is my support gonna do!!! but i dont think it will happen...

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Didn't we have all this last year when we were at this stage?

Lets not count our chickens yet!

Also, no......I certinaly don't think it can or should be changed

Why it wont be changed? UEFA has given the privilage to a city which has been
gearing up to it for a long time.....tear it away from them this late???

Why shouldn't it be changed? This just underlins the fact the the FA can't trust
the fans abroad. It'll give England a bad name and everyone will e saying things
like, "Remember when you's had to get the Champions League Final venue
changed because you thought the fans would embarass you! *laughs*"

But if there is a United, 'Pile final, no........I don't think it'll be changed...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was sitting next to a Chelsea fan on Tuesday at the pub watching the Chelsea-Arsenal game. I told him I wanted Liverpool in the CL final because beating them in the final would be the best feeling ever. The chelsea fan replied "no you dont, Liverpool are too tough at this stage". This made me chuckle for a few reasons:

-in america, anytime you meet a chelsea fan they cannot have possibly been a fan for more than a year or so, so his knowitall answer was a bit funny.
-a chelsea fan implied that I shouldnt want to face liverpool because they are too tough, when the only other option is chelsea, obviously implying their team isn't tough.

I really would like to go to Moscow, but it would be too expensive. I could probably afford to go to Wembley if it were there, but tempting me would be a bad thing! Moving the final would be a logistical nightmare.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is a UEFA competition and they play the Europe card, in that it's an ever widening continant thus there should be an ever widening audience, and yeah, say the Russians want to go...fair enough, say the Thai's want to jet over, or the Chinese or Japanese, their perogative. It won't be deemed an English exclusive event, even if two English clubs are in on it. Plus think of the trade benefits for the region, and the fact it would result in a might bomb of shit being dropped PR and politically if UEFA pulled it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts