Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The World Club Championships are in Japan and United will be there from the 11th of December to the 21st.

Thats 10 long days in the busy festive period. Jet lag, tiredness and injuries
could also be a major factor and Im worried we could lose momentum in the league and fall way behind Chelsea.

We are already a game behind when we played Zenit so will this put us
even further behind? It could be a serious fixture pile-up like Rangers had last season.

A few questions for you guys:

1)Do you think it could disrupt our season?
2)How much do you care about winning this trophy? Is it worth us even being there?

3)Look at the teams below. Are these just Mickey Mouse teams that we could put out our reserves and still win?

Further info on the championships:
It will take place in the Japanese cities of Tokyo, Toyota and Yokohama.
The competition will feature Pachuca of Mexico (CONCACAF Champions' Cup winners),
LDU Quito of Ecuador (CONMEBOL Copa Libertadores winners),
Waitakere United of New Zealand (OFC O-League winners),
Manchester United of England (UEFA Champions League winners) as well as the winners of this year's AFC Champions League,
CAF Champions League and a club from Japan's J.League
representing the host nation.
Pachuca and Waitakere United will be taking part in the competition for the second consecutive year.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Constructive post Marty ;)

1)Do you think it could disrupt our season? Yes I think it can, its proven to in the past, I can't remember the last team that won their league the season they took part in the WCC, Milan/Liverpool (no chance of winning Prem anyway :p)/Barca have all struggled. But I believe the depth is there, shopuld be a decent spectacle as I hope all the youthy's are given a go (Welbeck/Rafael/Possebon)
2)How much do you care about winning this trophy? Is it worth us even being there? It looks good on the honours list and it would be rather embarassing not to beat some of the teams that get in this trophy, but overall its no that important.
3)Look at the teams below. Are these just Mickey Mouse teams that we could put out our reserves and still win? I'm not saying they are bad and definitely not saying they are good, but they have got into the WCC somehow or other so they must be half decent. Usually the ones to worry about are the ones who win the Copa Liberatados one? I'm sure Sau Paulo are in that, but the ones above ^^^ I have heard little of. And judging from my experience on footy manager :p this shouldn't the most daunting of tasks!

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I don't think it will mess up our season. We have a strong sqyad so we can cope with the few extra games it will bring.

To me its more of an opportunity to see some of the younger players. I really wantto see more of Possebon, Rafael, Fabio, Wellbeck ect.

Aslong as its on tv then I'm glad we're going. I wouldn't hurt to be called "world champions" either :D

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Didnt the players say when United went to Brazil to play during the winter season it was great to see the sun, warm weather and good practise away from the media and pressure?

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Its a lot like the Super Cup for me...honour to play in it, but a complete waste!

Why aren't these money matches played as aprt of a pre-season program? Work
around teams that play during the summer for example. And as said, above, send
a weak team/squad to the competition IMO. If we send squad of stars and we
get a serious injury, thats it...could screw our season!

Winning the Champions League is almost a punnishment as look what extra
fixtures are loaded into the calendar! :eek:

Oh yeah. Injuries, virus', fatigue, loosing games there maybe
resulting in confidence drop etc... Its a big risk!

2)How much do you care about winning this trophy? Is it worth us even being
there?

I wouldn't be too fussed if it was announced that we wouldn't
be participating in it...

3)Look at the teams below. Are these just Mickey Mouse teams that we could
put out our reserves and still win?

No. I don't think we can underestimate the teams opposing us.
Do that and we'll be drilled intot the ground for sure! Just take each game as it
comes and play to our strengths!

Quick thought....

Wouldn't it be nice if we re-signed Becks on loan and played him in the
competition? Would be a nice touch IMO, and would keep him playing football for
Engalnd, but thats a different story! :eek:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
No, we have many young players and this will be a chance for them to play. The season will be long so it is good to have all young players in-form.

2)How much do you care about winning this trophy? Is it worth us even being
there?
I don't care.

3)Look at the teams below. Are these just Mickey Mouse teams that we could
put out our reserves and still win?

I think we must respect every team. Yes, they are not on our level , but don't forget that they are the best teams in their continents.

·
Registered
293 Posts
1) i do think it could disrupt our season because 1 we will miss at least 2 premier league matches which will put us 3 behind meaning that it will look daunting when teams like Chelski and Arsenal are 10 or 11 points in front. 2 it could be costly in terms of injuries
2) it might be worth going because if we win it will look good and be a moral booster and we might see some new talent and it is just before the jan transfer window so who knows we could see the next 'it playing
3) you can't underestimate teams especially if you've never seen them play.

·
Registered
934 Posts
1)Do you think it could disrupt our season? not if we don play our first team...maybe just in the final
2)How much do you care about winning this trophy? Is it worth us even being there? it would be nice...another trophy...is there a cash prize?
3)Look at the teams below. Are these just Mickey Mouse teams that we could put out our reserves and still win? yes and no, the aussie team in the final of the afc i think our reserves could be beat so.....

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
i think the fixture build up and all the negative atention it is bound to bring could have an unsettling influence. but to be honest if we can't cope with it then we don't deserve to win the title. think we are too good a squad and have SAF to ensure players minds and bodies aren't unduly affected so should be fine.

i do think the whole tournament is a joke though, it's another absurd marketing and promotion campaign from those who run the world game

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Contrary to what all all you people have posted , I am looking forwad to the competition. Yeah , sure we will have injuries and fatigue , but we only get to play in such a Cup when we win the Champions League.

Also we have already fallen behind to Chel$ki . No point in worrying about that now. Its the Club World Championships and I'm looking forward to that. And I disagree with Keano , that it is a complete waste.

AC Milan Won it last year. The competition is a big one and far bigger than the Super Cup Imo.

Yes they could have played it as a part of the pre-season program , but we can't have evrything.

We do have a big squad and this is what we spend the milliions for.

GO OUT THERE AND WIN

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
No no no :(

it will kill our team fatigue injures etc..

no fergei drop your team and sent the academy to play in the evil tournament

as it will have a negative factor on the team :mad:

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I think we'll put out a fairly weak team in the semi, still reach the final and play a strong team in that. Tbh, it should almost be like a holiday for the players. It could even do them good.

Obviously, we'll have some fixture congestion later in the season but it's only the Fulham (Super Cup) and Wigan (World Club Championship) games that have been effected.

I'm sure we'll cope.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Eh?
Should we fly the reserves and a few of the first team players who havent got a start in a while to play the semi and then fly over the first team squad if they reach the final? It doesnt sounds like a good idea to me.
Give the guys a holiday and let the team Fergie think he need to win a chance and win the tournament. If we dont want to win it we shouldnt be there at all.

The players can take the extra games and we have squad enough to cope with the tight schedule when we have to play the games in hand.

·
Registered
469 Posts
At one time this was caled the Toyota Cup and was just one game - the Champions of Europe against the champions of S. America. We were the first English team to win it, courteousy of a Roy Keane goal.

Now though, they have stretched it out, which means jet lag will be harder to take, especially after coming back to the UK. I live in Tokyo and come back once a year, trust me, it takes a week to fully get over. So yes this will effect us. Not only that, it used to be played around Dec 8th, now it stretches right into the busy part of the league. This could cost us points, even with a big squad and rotating players. Need to rethink this competion.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts

Possibly. The jet lag and fatigue may be a problem. However, it might be good for the players to get away for a while, and maybe enjoy a bit of a holiday. We have a big squad, so should use as much of it as we can. If we get injuries to key players, that may present a problem as well.

However, I think we should be able to cope with any fixture congestion. I've just looked up the fixtures on manutd.com for those dates. It says we're meant to be playing Tottenham away on the 13th, so I guess we don't go out until after that. We've already missed Fulham (Super Cup) and we're going to be missing Wigan. The Wigan game will be hard, even though its at home, but we should be able to beat Fulham at home even if we rest some players.

2)How much do you care about winning this trophy? Is it worth us even being there?

I know other people seem to think its a complete waste of time, but I've gotta say I'm looking forward to it.

We don't play in it very often, so I think it'll be a great experience and I personally, want to win it. Of course, I won't cry myself to sleep if we don't :p, but it'd be nice to win it.

It's also a good opportunity to give players who haven't had as many games as they'd like, players low on confidence and young players (Welbeck, Possebon etc) the chance to play and to show what they can do.

If we do play some of our strongest players (Ronaldo, Rooney. Evra etc) I would hope we would split them up, and not play them in the same game.

3)Look at the teams below. Are these just Mickey Mouse teams that we could put out our reserves and still win?

Possibly, but I think we should go into the tournament open-minded. If we go into it thinking the opposition teams are poor. and that we'll walk it, we could end up with egg on our faces.

I'm pretty sure that a one or two of the teams will be quite good teams, and will be a tough test for us.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts