Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cristiano Ronaldo hailed his return to his homeland as "the perfect night" after firing United to victory against his former club.

The Portuguese international headed home Wes Brown's cross just after the hour to give United a priceless victory and set them on their way in Group F.

Ronaldo was pleased with the result, but admitted that he felt a tad guilty about netting against the club he calls his second home.

"It's a perfect night for me. I scored and the team won. So it's been a great night for me and United," he told Sky Sports at the final whistle.

"It's always important to win away from home. Both teams played well, but I think the result is a fair one because we did better.

"Red is my colour and I want to win for United. I said before the game that Sporting Lisbon is my second home and I feel a little bit sad [that they lost], but the most important thing is United. They are my team and I'm very happy with the victory."

Some sections of the home fans rose to applaud Ronaldo's goal, before the whole stadium gave him a standing ovation when he was substituted in the final few minutes. It was a gesture which delighted the 22-year-old winger.

"The people here are very important to me," he insisted. "They helped me a lot when I played here.

"When I scored I didn't want to do too much because I don't think it's fair. But I'm very happy with the three points."

Source: manutd.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well done Ronnie. It's good to see a footballer behave like this rather than someone rubbing it in to their old team. Also ties in with the way United fans treat their ex-players when they come back to OT

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
What a player! Even the sporting fans clapped him off last night. You don't see that much anymore! :)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Number11isRalphieMilne said:
Well done Ronnie. It's good to see a footballer behave like this rather than someone rubbing it in to their old team. Also ties in with the way United fans treat their ex-players when they come back to OT
yea i agree, all ex united players get a great reception except ince :)

even ronaldo (fat one) got a standing ovation after his hat trick against us in the champs league (proper fans who know there shit)

i have to say the sporting fans were great last night giving ronaldo a standing ovation like that even tho he only played 27 games for them

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Just got to see the game. Good goal, but respectable in his celebrating with just a bow. Truly wonderful sportsmanship. Just another example of how he's trying to change his old ways. Hopefully some of the refs around the league can spot that also

·
Registered
178 Posts
he just showed some of the ex-players in footballing world how to celebrate infront of your ex-supporters. reminds a bit of viduka's gestures vs boro..

·
Registered
14 Posts
andycole9 said:
yea i agree, all ex united players get a great reception except ince :)

even ronaldo (fat one) got a standing ovation after his hat trick against us in the champs league (proper fans who know there shit)

i have to say the sporting fans were great last night giving ronaldo a standing ovation like that even tho he only played 27 games for them
I also remember Gary Lineker getting a standing ovation for Spurs in his last game in English football before he went to Japan. The stretford end even sung his name

1 - 9 of 9 Posts