Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought i would share this with people you may have already seen it u may not of but here goes...

Do we all remember a Portsmouth striker called Dario Silva? well if not he played for them in 2005-2006 making 15 appearances (Due to injury) and scoring 3 goals he was released by Portsmouth in February 2006 what you may not know is what happened next..

On September 23, 2006, Silva was seriously injured in a car accident in Montevideo. The accident occurred as Silva lost control of his pick-up truck and was thrown from the vehicle, colliding with a street light post. In the impact Silva fractured his skull, knocking him unconscious and suffering a compound fracture on his right leg. At the time of the accident Silva was traveling with two other ex-footballers, Elbio Papa and Dardo Pereira who were not seriously injured.[2]
On the day of the accident, a team of five made the decision to amputate his leg below the knee, and Silva underwent an operation which lasted for 3 and a half hours. He was put into a medically induced coma for the amputation.[3] After the operation, there were fears that the amputation would become infected,[4] however, his condition was declared stable a few days later as he recovered at Montevideo's La Española hospital. Staff at the hospital expected Silva to make a full recovery.[5] After difficulty with coming to terms with the accident,[6] Silva left the hospital on October 5 and returned to his home in Montevideo. He plans to receive a prosthetic leg in Italy to help him walk without the aid of crutches.[7][8]

The point im making is that Almost unbelievably Dario Silva took the pitch again on Jan 13 2009 after a 3 year absence, taking part in a charity match bewtween Uruguay XI and the Argentina XI for the “Fundación Niños con Alas†(Children with Wings Foundation). Showing he still has it he not only played but stepped up to score a penalty.

This i think you will agree is great for him and shows alot of bravery in a time were current footballers stay down for 5 minutes after just receiving a kick on the shin :eek:

(from Wikipedia)

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
You can see his penalty on youtube somewhere. Fairs dues to him though as reddave said he was a good striker and sadly lost his leg.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
yeah, we have a place in malaga, and go to watch them sometimes. he used to be their star striker, a good player too in spanish football. i remember having a soft spot for him at portsmouth because i knew of him before most other people, and i remember telling my mum about the amputation. tragic but really inspiring that he managed to have the courage to get himself back!

fair play

·
Davey baby chips 'n' gravy
4,055 Posts
Great, now I feel all emotional. :)

I remember him, the coloured lad with blonde hair. I am sure he scored a screamer at the World Cup a few years back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts