Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the consenses on Fletcher. In previous seasons, I have always admired Fletcher and thought he gave everything he had while wearing the shirt. This season (stoke game excluded) he has added a touch of finesse to his game. He is much comfortable switching play, dragging the ball back and looking up. Does everyone agree??

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Burkey said:
What is the consenses on Fletcher. In previous seasons, I have always admired Fletcher and thought he gave everything he had while wearing the shirt. This season (stoke game excluded) he has added a touch of finesse to his game. He is much comfortable switching play, dragging the ball back and looking up. Does everyone agree??

I have to agree with you Fletcher has been attacked for years at United . I was at the Barcelona champions league semi final at Old Trafford last year fergie brought Fletcher on in the last 20 minutes . And I couldnt believe my ears the fella two seats down went berserk we were 10 minutes from glory against Barca and all he could care about was Fletcher and Im stood there and I rate him .

Fair play to the lad but and I say but in my eyes Fletcher is a quality squad player that is it . He is the back bone and he should remain there for the rest of his career .

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
he's often got stick for pretty much anything, being too lightweight, poor on the ball, poor passing. but he's really turned himself into a united quality player. the sort of which people no longer sigh and worry when they see his name on the teamsheet.
he got our first two league goals this year, which would have done his confidence the world of good, and fergie has kept faith, and "darren fletcher-football genius", as red dave rightly said is good enough to stay at united for the rest of his career based on this form.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
personally i like fletcher , he is a very underrated player imo, this season he has been in the form of his life , not that i think he was doing much wrong in previous seasons, maturity has played a big part in fletchers recent success.

he will never be accepted by some fans, but only an idiot would be so blind as to not recognise the contribution fletcher makes to the squad.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
There is still fans who didnt accept Fletcher??Who, what, where? Then i guess theirs are personal grudges then :p

Surprisingly more often i look forward to him starting than anyone else in midfield.If there is any player in midfield than can almost play with all the other midfielders, it got to be him. To me he do wonders with Carrick in the middle.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I am a definite member of the Anti-Fletcher league.

He has always tried his best, but his best was often not enough and until this season always semed to play out of his skin against the top teams, before sinking back BELOW mediocrity.

I've had this debate with CROoney before. How many matches can you name from the past 4 or 5 season where Darren Fletcher was good?

This season he has improved somewhat and I now consider him to be decent cover and don't worry AS MUCH when I see him playing.

However, his passing is shocking and he gets dispossessed more easily than any other United player.

So for me, Darren Fletcher has gone from not good enough to good enough for United, but he is definitely a backup player in my eyes and I expect even the younger players like Gibson and Possebon to surpass him within the next two seasons.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I am a definite member of the Anti-Fletcher league.

He has always tried his best, but his best was often not enough and until this season always semed to play out of his skin against the top teams, before sinking back BELOW mediocrity.

I've had this debate with CROoney before. How many matches can you name from the past 4 or 5 season where Darren Fletcher was good?

This season he has improved somewhat and I now consider him to be decent cover and don't worry AS MUCH when I see him playing.

However, his passing is shocking and he gets dispossessed more easily than any other United player.

So for me, Darren Fletcher has gone from not good enough to good enough for United, but he is definitely a backup player in my eyes and I expect even the younger players like Gibson and Possebon to surpass him within the next two seasons.

I will have you a bet Fletcher see's out his career at United !

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Fletcher is a fantastic player imo (one of my favourite United players actually) becasue he's very hard working and npot only good in passing, but also useful to have in a more defensive role. Like O'Shea, he will always be an integral part of the team whatever the game, but never a regular starter.

Anwyay I would always prefer to have Fletch over Gerrard of Fat Lampard :p

·
Registered
601 Posts
i dont understand why a lot of fans dont rate him, he has been one of our best players this season. Does not argue, gets on with it and plays with united passion. I think there is only a little needed in his consistency. But this player can play against the other big three and perform, and fletecher has done that. If a player can perform against the top pl and europeon players he must own that red shirt.

Wen we look at united play, we start to recognise players of giving us the assurance that yeah we have someone who can be trusted to help and perform for the team. Flecher this season is a player before the team sheet is out we can imagine ok if carrick or scholes is out we still have Flecther. I think if fletch keeps geting games we could see a wrold class player in 2 more seasons.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
alwyas thought fletch was a great player to have at united like park sheasy etc.....good squad players who can step up to the plate when nescessary. whether he quite has what it takes to be a first team regular who can't be ignored is debatable, but like him nevertheless

·
Registered
605 Posts
he has been excellent this season really
he is really under-rated
i just dont understand y people dont give such players credit even if they perform but give the stars credit even if they dont perform

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I've always like Fletcher, and he's certainly a great player to have at United.

Sure, hes not good enough to be a regular starter. But he's here, works hard and is willing to wait for his chance which is great. You can't have a team full of Rooneys, Ronaldos, Berbatovs etc, so the Fletchers, Parks and O'Sheas are vital players to have at United, not only for on the pitch, but also off the pitch as they certainly add to the team spirit and the reputation of United in the way they behave and the way they represent the club off the pitch.

He's been on good form this season, and has scored 2 vital goals already this season (3 altogether?) He is still a United player, so should be supported (as some of the same supporters say about Ronaldo.) He may well move clubs when he gets older, but while he's here he should be appreciated and we should be glad to have him.

·
Registered
605 Posts
manutd004 said:

Sure, hes not good enough to be a regular starter. But he's here, works hard and is willing to wait for his chance which is great. You can't have a team full of Rooneys, Ronaldos, Berbatovs etc, so the Fletchers, Parks and O'Sheas are vital players to have at United, not only for on the pitch, but also off the pitch as they certainly add to the team spirit and the reputation of United in the way they behave and the way they represent the club off the pitch.

He's been on good form this season, and has scored 2 vital goals already this season (3 altogether?) He is still a United player, so should be supported (as some of the same supporters say about Ronaldo.) He may well move clubs when he gets older, but while he's here he should be appreciated and we should be glad to have him.
and also that he is the third choice after scholes and carrick.....and has soem competition from anderson

hez not that bad to have as a third choice
and he is in excellent form this season.......so there is no problem in the fletch-Department

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
manutd004 said:

nohing to do with the fact hes scotish ;)

ahh now but seriously this season hes come on leaps and bounds and hes starting to turn into a box to box midfilder somethingwe dont really hae ! he gets vital tackles in in our box then ggets onto the end of moves in the other!

hes probabbly the best squad player in the prem imo!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
cantos red army said:
nohing to do with the fact hes scotish ;)
;) :p

Well, perhaps, but only because I watch him in international football as well as club football so I've seen him pretty regularly.

But, we'd all have enough to say if we were like the Real "Galactico" team ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Since I'm Scottish I've always been a fan of Fletcher, but this season more so than ever.
The timing of this thread is perfect, as just yesterday I said to the guys I was watching the game with in the pub yesterday (they werent all united fans, and werent all scottish) that Darren Fletcher has been one of our most consistent players this season and he's totally underrated. So yea, I'll just re-iterate that in here! He may not be our best player technically but he works his socks off and usually delivers a solid enough performance. Dont know why anyone wouldnt want him on the team sheet.

EDIT - Just remembered I have a fletcher sig!! Ha! As you can see I'm definately pro-fletcher, and its no longer just cos im scottish.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts