Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=3963087&page=1

United chief executive David Gill has saluted the club's talent scouts for the part they played in helping the Reds retain the title.

The four new players signed last summer – Nani, Anderson, Owen Hargreaves and Carlos Tevez – made more than 100 league appearances between them. Quite a feat when you consider that Anderson and Nani were new to English football, and Hargreaves had also never played in the Premier League before, despite playing for the national team.

“We’ve worked very hard over the last few years to make sure the signings are right,” said David Gill on MUTV.

“That’s testament to Sir Alex Ferguson, Carlos Queiroz, (chief scout) Jim Lawlor, the scouting system and our ability to identify players who are going to make a difference.

“The team last year (2006/07) won the title fantastically, so the challenge was how do you improve on that? But that’s what we’ve tried to do, to make sure we don’t stand still but progress. Sir Alex will never let us rest on our laurels and if we can improve the squad this summer, we will certainly be in a position to do so.”

The chief exec was also full of praise for the spirit at the club following the Reds’ tenth Premier League title. Although he acknowledges that the success is largely down to the players, he also credits the staff and the fans for the vital support they give to the team.

“We believe we have a good atmosphere at United, and this works positively for everyone," he said.

“Winning the league is the culmination of ten long months of hard work by everyone at the club. It’s brilliant and it sets us up for the cup final in Moscow next week.”

- -hmmmmm...... I'm not sure the clubs scouts are in lline to be praised quite yet. I think Ajax, Barcelona, Arsenal and Milan have much better scouts. It's one thing to spot a talent when it's already bleeding obvious that he's going to be great, but it's another to spot talent at 14 or 15. AC Milan were alerted to Kaka and Pato by chief Brazilian scout Leonardo when they were very young. In Pato's case when he was 15. Because of Messi's medical condition, he was recommended to Barcelona at the age of 14 and they knew they were looking at someone special.

In addition, there have been some horror signings that were recommended by our scouts like the Djemba twins, Tailbi and Bellion. I think we've had more luck in the transfer market recently, but we're still behind the clubs lsited above in terms of scouting.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I would agree actually.

And with Nani, Anderson and Manucho for example, of course depending on whether Manucho turns out to be fantastic for us, it was Carlos Queiroz who spotted them.

But I would agree our scouts aren't really as good as others. If the Silva twins and Possebon turn out to be fabulous players, then I guess they've done very well. But otherwise, I think we are slightly behind.

I think part of the problem may be that we don't seem to have as many foreign scouts, so we lack a great knowledge of a specific country or continent.

But I would agree with your post.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
utds scouts have done a fine job for the last 15 years ,and if the club had acted on their information they could have saved a lot of money {we could have signed nistlerooy for 4 million 2 years before we paid 19 million }.
and there are numerous players utd didn't sign who turned into world class players because the scouts information was not acted upon,i would say about 70% of foreign players that utd sign are a success so in my opinion the scouts are doing a fine job.

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
fergie stated recently that he tells his scouts to look for players attitude when things are going badly . he has a blueprint for a "utd" player and attitude has as much to do with it as skill . his own brother is strongly involved and knows what the boss wants in a player .arjen robben was watched for ages before he went to chelsea but doubt was cast on his temperament so fergie didnt act . the main problem for us at moment is if word gets out we are strongly interested chelsea nick in .mikel was a case in point

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I do agree that the scouts do well in some cases.

But its disappointing that Arsenal, for example, sign a player when hes 17, for example. They seem to find more players than us, and we only find out about them when their in their early 20's for example, when mostly everybody knows how good they are.

·
Registered
488 Posts
No matter what, I believed they all did it for the best of the club interest... We can't actually say that they did not do a good job for a few black apples. They have all served long for United. It will not be fair to justified them on these picks. Let's look at it this way, spotting a talent is not going to be easy, they are no prophets of the soccer world... You have to put a little bit of faith in believing that they will turnout well. In time we will see if the young talents that they have been brought in by them will or will not become a World Class player. At the moment, Carlos have done us a great job on all these signings we have got in recent season.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
If Manucho succeeds then we can praise our/Queiroz's scouts. That was one well spotted considering we bought him BEFORE his African Cup exploits.

I don't no whether Evra counts as a scouting success. We bought him on his Champions League run to the final.

That said, in a sense he's a scouting success because nobody expected him to become arguably the best left back in Europe.

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
They are obviously doing a good job, look where we are in world football and look at all our youngsters over the years!! Arsenal just have a load of foreign lads

·
Registered
55 Posts
To be honest they blow hot and cold, but the last 2-3 season spot on

Kleberson!? - Anderson

Djemba x 2!? - Evra

Miller - Vidic

Bellion...haha still makes me laugh - Ronaldo

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
manutd004 said:
I would agree actually.

And with Nani, Anderson and Manucho for example, of course depending on whether Manucho turns out to be fantastic for us, it was Carlos Queiroz who spotted them.

But I would agree our scouts aren't really as good as others. If the Silva twins and Possebon turn out to be fabulous players, then I guess they've done very well. But otherwise, I think we are slightly behind.

I think part of the problem may be that we don't seem to have as many foreign scouts, so we lack a great knowledge of a specific country or continent.

But I would agree with your post.

LOL ...... you agreed three times! That's a lot of agreement! :)

I hear what others are saying, so I wrote that we should not praise them quite yet. Anderson, whom I had only heard of once in my life, has been cracking, but you know who noticed him first?

Sir Alex! He then asked his brother to go watch him.

So, if Manucho does turn out to be good there will be cause for celebration, but i'm still waiting for us to find A Cristiano Ronaldo at 15 and nurture him through the ranks.

I have watched a fair bit of reserves matches this season and i really like the looks of Wellbeck, Possebon and Hewson. Of the three I actually think the Posseborn has a really good chance to be a very, very good well-rounded midfielder and I have to curb my enthusiasm, because i want to avoid being disappointed like with Rossi, but he has a great chance.

Let me qualify that, I'm not saying Rossi didn't make it, but he wasn't given enough chances and he wanted to be playing regularly. It just didn't work out, but till today he is still the est reserves player i have seen.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian of Nazareth said:
To be honest they blow hot and cold, but the last 2-3 season spot on

Kleberson!? - Anderson

Djemba x 2!? - Evra

Miller - Vidic

Bellion...haha still makes me laugh - Ronaldo

how about Massimo Tailbi ? - is a shiver running down your spine too? :)

By the way, welcome aboard and I love John, dislike Yoko!

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
RedForceRising said:
http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=3963087&page=1

United chief executive David Gill has saluted the club's talent scouts for the part they played in helping the Reds retain the title.

The four new players signed last summer – Nani, Anderson, Owen Hargreaves and Carlos Tevez – made more than 100 league appearances between them. Quite a feat when you consider that Anderson and Nani were new to English football, and Hargreaves had also never played in the Premier League before, despite playing for the national team.

“We’ve worked very hard over the last few years to make sure the signings are right,” said David Gill on MUTV.

“That’s testament to Sir Alex Ferguson, Carlos Queiroz, (chief scout) Jim Lawlor, the scouting system and our ability to identify players who are going to make a difference.

“The team last year (2006/07) won the title fantastically, so the challenge was how do you improve on that? But that’s what we’ve tried to do, to make sure we don’t stand still but progress. Sir Alex will never let us rest on our laurels and if we can improve the squad this summer, we will certainly be in a position to do so.”

The chief exec was also full of praise for the spirit at the club following the Reds’ tenth Premier League title. Although he acknowledges that the success is largely down to the players, he also credits the staff and the fans for the vital support they give to the team.

“We believe we have a good atmosphere at United, and this works positively for everyone," he said.

“Winning the league is the culmination of ten long months of hard work by everyone at the club. It’s brilliant and it sets us up for the cup final in Moscow next week.”

- -hmmmmm...... I'm not sure the clubs scouts are in lline to be praised quite yet. I think Ajax, Barcelona, Arsenal and Milan have much better scouts. It's one thing to spot a talent when it's already bleeding obvious that he's going to be great, but it's another to spot talent at 14 or 15. AC Milan were alerted to Kaka and Pato by chief Brazilian scout Leonardo when they were very young. In Pato's case when he was 15. Because of Messi's medical condition, he was recommended to Barcelona at the age of 14 and they knew they were looking at someone special.

In addition, there have been some horror signings that were recommended by our scouts like the Djemba twins, Tailbi and Bellion. I think we've had more luck in the transfer market recently, but we're still behind the clubs lsited above in terms of scouting.
you're right there rfr... if anything they should be criticised for not spotting the young talents since , i don't know, giggsy ... we have an ordinary to say the best scouting network... i mean - imagine if we had taken carrick while playing for west ham...sure - we bought ronaldo, but hardly their work is it...if we hadn't played sporting none of this would have happened

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
you're right there rfr... if anything they should be criticised for not spotting the young talents since , i don't know, giggsy ... we have an ordinary to say the best scouting network... i mean - imagine if we had taken carrick while playing for west ham...sure - we bought ronaldo, but hardly their work is it...if we hadn't played sporting none of this would have happened

Yep..... the club needs to work at spotting class talent at a younger age. then again, some might make a case that a player has to be of a certain standard so that the club can be sure he is actually going to add to it, BUT other clubs seem to be able to do it.

Milan knew that about Pato, Wenger about Clichy, Barca about dos Santos. From what I have been reading, it would seem that we don't have a big network of scouts and Fergie prefers to let his brother Martin follow up on initial reports.

I think we should adopt a system where we have a main scout in the main hot spots or at least in the South America and Africa.

As it stand, Martin Ferguson is flying around the world to run the rule over all the recommendations. I'm not sure how Jim Lawlor fits in, but you can read this interview.

http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-utd-chat/9843-interview-chief-european-scout-martin-ferguson.html?highlight=martin+ferguson

·
Registered
55 Posts
RedForceRising said:
how about Massimo Tailbi ? - is a shiver running down your spine too? :)

By the way, welcome aboard and I love John, dislike Yoko!

Thanks!

I tried not to remind anyone of Tailbi........ as if they could forget!! :p

You have good music taste then! John Lennon = GOD!! i met Yoko, she was very nice in person, i like the women, no one could make John do what he didn't want to

1 - 15 of 15 Posts