Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Toffees boss feels the centre back is ready to be a starter for his country.

Everton manager David Moyes believes the time is right for Phil Jagielka to be given a chance at international level, and has urged England head coach Fabio Capello to select the defender for his upcoming friendly games.

The 26-year-old was given his first England call up by Capello last year in the 3-0 friendly win against Trinidad and Tobago, and the Everton boss is hoping he will give him another one in the near future.

The former Sheffield United centre back has been a prominent fixture in the Toffees' side this season, but is still to reach his full potential.

England's next game is a friendly against European champions Spain in Seville on February 11, and Moyes is hopeful that Capello will not overlook Jagielka for the game.

Speaking to the Everton official club website, Moyes said, "He was recognised last year, and his form this year is a good as it was last year. So I'm sure the England manager is keeping an eye on him.

"I'm happy for Phil Jagielka to just keep playing the way he is. I think he's been terrific and I think he's been consistent throughout the season."

Jagielka joined Everton from the Blades in 2007 in search of improving his career and chances of an England call up. He moved for a fee of £4 million, and has since been vital to the Everton squad, making a total of 55 Premier League appearances, scoring once.

Goal.com

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
he's an alright player. gritty and determined, but not certain that he is worthy of a call up. he would fill in well, but i don't see him as the sort of player that would fit in our side if we are planning an assault on a major trophy.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Been talking to my Everton mate about him, and he said he is easily their player
of the season so far, and I would tend to agree. He is even outshining Lescott,
who imo is also worthy of another call up, mainly due to his versatility.
The main problem Jagielka faces is the number of good centre halves in ahead of him.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Having a really good season, can defend and play some football too.
A call up is on the cards!!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yes, I completely agree, definitely deserves a call up, Lescott was there man last season but this season its Jagielka. Has had some top games for them, and is by far their best defender, Everton haven't exactly got the most watertight defence but without him they'd be screwed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts