Manchester United Talk banner

Are you positive or negative about the appointment?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 4911 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like we will be getting him .
Personally i actually feel sick to my stomach,out of all the big managers in the world we are getting a guy that has never won a game at old trafford,emirates/highbury, stamford bridge or anfield .
Yes he hasn't spent much money but he has still won fuck all , says a lot when even birmingham and portsmouth have won more than everton recently and its not just about the lack of trophies.
I am actually worried that this is a strategic move by the board to get the little guy in that wont speak up much like fergie does so they can eff us in the backside financially..
What are your thoughts on this if we are going to appoint him

·
Registered
833 Posts
This it's how it should be.

He's a good manager. He has very similar attributes to Sir Alex Ferguson.
He will have money.
He's not necessarily going to play the same way as he did at Everton and may get the best out of some other players.
He does not have experience winning titles or champions league.

He has his ups and downs but we need to support him. With the right tools why can't he succeed?!

Would've loved Mourinho or Klopp though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that If we do get him we should get behind him and that is something i am prepared to do but it seriously seems like an awful appointment ...Im really worried

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The Pros:
Likely long term stability (IF he does well)
Similar football to what we've done, for seamless transition.
Knowledgeable of EPL sides
Not overly polarizing
Financially prudent

The Cons:
No star magnetism or charisma. No experience handling 'stars'. Possible difficulty retaining or acquiring top draw talent. Rookie when it comes to top level European competition. No 'winning habit'. Most of all boring same old slow paced cross into box football + MU endemic winger issues to continue stunting the team. Likely no major innovations. Kags and RVP may continue at less than full potential.

I'd like him if he's a two year stopgap for a future Klopp type hire. I'm not excited for any drastic improvement on what we have. He's more of a "stay-the-course and imitate Fergie best you can, in hopes you grow into something similar" choice.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Good manager but he i don't think he is the right person to replace someone like Fergie. If he is our next manager then i'll support him, but i think this could be disastrous for us if Moyes can't handle it.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The Pros:
Likely long term stability (IF he does well)
Similar football to what we've done, for seamless transition.
Knowledgeable of EPL sides
Not overly polarizing
Financially prudent

The Cons:
No star magnetism or charisma. No experience handling 'stars'. Possible difficulty retaining or acquiring top draw talent. Rookie when it comes to top level European competition. No 'winning habit'. Most of all boring same old slow paced cross into box football + MU endemic winger issues to continue stunting the team. Likely no major innovations. Kags and RVP may continue at less than full potential.

I'd like him if he's a two year stopgap for a future Klopp type hire. I'm not excited for any drastic improvement on what we have. He's more of a "stay-the-course and imitate Fergie best you can, in hopes you grow into something similar" choice.
for me the cons outweigh the pros

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Moyes ain't a bad manager to have on board ,if that be the choice . Everton play good football ,full of passion ,he has not won anything ,but lets be honest only 4 teams are in with a shout of the premiership title ,and the cups are somewhat confusing these days with most teams fielding weakened line ups. Mourinho would be my choice but within 3 years he will be gone somewhere else ,Moyes would be a long term manager if he got us success and probably be the wisest choice in the long run .

·
"You're Pretty Good"
15,946 Posts
Same stance I've had from the start.

He’s a very good manager who’s always overachieved with his budget/squad. Ruling him out already is ridiculous. He could thrive here and push us on and be the force of stability we’ll need after Fergie.

On the the other hand, he wasn’t my first choice. Because there’s a risk factor that comes with Moyes that doesn’t with Mourinho/Klopp. He’s completely unproven at the very top level, he’s never dealt with top players on a day to day basis, which can be very challenging, just look at what Chelsea have done to their managers. His tactics have never been pretty, but in his defence he’s never really had the players to do anything else. He got as good as there was out of what he had for the most part, can’t fault him for that. Besides, we’re hardly Barcelona, we’re not immune to direct football either.

I’m worried as to what’s going to happen if/when things unravel. We’ve had some dismal spells under Ferguson even in the last few seasons, the successive defeats around new years last season come to mind. If that were to happen under Moyes: 1) Question would be asked of HIM rather than the players and 2) The fans would turn on him. This would happen because 1) The media is ruthless and 2) Fans are stupid.

He will need a fast start, otherwise we could be in for a long season and Moyes could be in for a short spell. The idea of winning the league isn’t any more assured than being 10-15 points of Mancini’s City and Mourinho’s Chelsea come January. It could all fall apart AVB/Hodgson style or it could come together and last 15 years.

A real boom/bust appointment. I would have felt better with Mourinho or Klopp, but feel more reward could come with Moyes. I really don’t want to go through this too often. I don’t like it at all, Fergie spoiled us so much. We really have to avoid falling into the kneejerk traps of modern day football, which unfortunately I think is inevitable. Moyes is potentially the best option to avoid that.

·
The White Heskey
8,606 Posts
Moyes ain't a bad manager to have on board ,if that be the choice . Everton play good football ,full of passion ,he has not won anything ,but lets be honest only 4 teams are in with a shout of the premiership title ,and the cups are somewhat confusing these days with most teams fielding weakened line ups. Mourinho would be my choice but within 3 years he will be gone somewhere else ,Moyes would be a long term manager if he got us success and probably be the wisest choice in the long run .
Nail on head. With what he has had at his disposal he's done well. It may take him time to adjust but thats what pre-season will be for, he has all the necessary equipment to do well with the squad currently here. As I said in the other thread I just hope hes passionate about improving and doesnt take peanuts for money to strengthen.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
50/50 for me.

Give the guy a chance, before judging him. He's consistently finished in the top 8 bracket with close to zero resources. Besides, we'll have Fergie overseeing him as the director. He will be under proper guidance, and will become a top manager in United.

·
BORN RED DIE RED.
3,486 Posts
i am sure some of the old boys had the same feeling about fergie,i am not to convinced myself but if its what fergies wants then we owe him that.
one of the things that worries me is him trying to pull in world class names or up and coming world class players there is going to be alot of people who will be thinking who the fuck is moyes?.
if it is him then good luck to him i will give him his chance.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
The few times i've seen Everton play they've been dross. Also yes he could be here for the long term, but personally i'd have preferred we go for a big name stop gap and groom someone like Ole for the managers post.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
i am sure some of the old boys had the same feeling about fergie,i am not to convinced myself but if its what fergies wants then we owe him that.
one of the things that worries me is him trying to pull in world class names or up and coming world class players there is going to be alot of people who will be thinking who the f**k is moyes?.
if it is him then good luck to him i will give his chance.
Exactly! i'm sure Ronaldo is salivating at the thought of playing under David fucking Moyes!

1 - 20 of 4911 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.