Manchester United Talk banner

Are you positive or negative about the appointment?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 4911 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
if he comes, i'll get behind him as it's still our great club. However I don't recall seeing Everton ever playing a nice passing game that the media would have you believe that Moyes strives for.

I think Mourinho will be the only one who can follow SAF and not be daunted by having players like Giggs, Ferdinand, Rooney, and Carrick (who have been the backbone of Utd over the past 10 years), still at the club.

Klopp is interesting and I like how he unearths gems and gets them to play like world beaters.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The few times i've seen Everton play they've been dross. Also yes he could be here for the long term, but personally i'd have preferred we go for a big name stop gap and groom someone like Ole for the managers post.
To be fair, Moyes experience trumps a hastily groomed 'United bred' manager at the moment. It would be disastrous if the likes of Ole, Scholes, or Giggs were to take the job and prove unworthy. You could say that Moyes will face a lot of pressure, having to fill Fergie's boots. That is undoubtedly true, however the pressure would actually be much bigger I think, for someone like Jose or Klopp, who would be expected to match if not surpass Fergie. The pressure would be even bigger for someone who served us under Fergie. In a sense, as an outsider from a lesser club, Moyes is a guy that can afford to fail, because nobody actually expects him to match Fergie. A few games dropped, a few poor performances, it would be within expectation. If he could put up a passing performance for a few seasons, using the pieces he's got? The old guard will begin to retire, and he'd start putting together his own team. That's where the real litmus test comes. If he's comfortable enough by then, he could become a Fergie 2.0 with the brand value and bank that United has. That remains to be seen.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think we also need to ask ourselves what are the motives for getting moyes as well.
Is it a power thing ? The board will get a little man who they can bully in a way that they can't with the big managers .
Is it a money issue like the appointment of hodgson for england instead of arry ?
Or is it generally a good appointment ?

·
First team regular
8,204 Posts
I'm not sure about David Moyes, if he is the next manager I will back, and support him. After all, whoever get's the job has a huge task.

·
Registered
937 Posts
People do realise its not like FM, right? He'll have a huge backroom staff (something Everton probably lack) to help him out and it'll more than likely be the same people Fergie had. If we bring someone like Jose he'll most likely take a lot of staff with him which means a lot of knowledge about the club will be lost in the process. Plus, Moyes will have Fergie to lean on for the first couple of years, most likely.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
if he comes, i'll get behind him as it's still our great club. However I don't recall seeing Everton ever playing a nice passing game that the media would have you believe that Moyes strives for.

I think Mourinho will be the only one who can follow SAF and not be daunted by having players like Giggs, Ferdinand, Rooney, and Carrick (who have been the backbone of Utd over the past 10 years), still at the club.

Klopp is interesting and I like how he unearths gems and gets them to play like world beaters.
This i agree with .
From what ive seen its more of a "howard to jagielka", "jagielka to baines","HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF to fellainis chest"

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
To be fair, Moyes experience trumps a hastily groomed 'United bred' manager at the moment. It would be disastrous if the likes of Ole, Scholes, or Giggs were to take the job and prove unworthy. You could say that Moyes will face a lot of pressure, having to fill Fergie's boots. That is undoubtedly true, however the pressure would actually be much bigger I think, for someone like Jose or Klopp, who would be expected to match if not surpass Fergie. The pressure would be even bigger for someone who served us under Fergie. In a sense, as an outsider from a lesser club, Moyes is a guy that can afford to fail, because nobody actually expects him to match Fergie. A few games dropped, a few poor performances, it would be within expectation. If he could put up a passing performance for a few seasons, using the pieces he's got? The old guard will begin to retire, and he'd start putting together his own team. That's where the real litmus test comes. If he's comfortable enough by then, he could become a Fergie 2.0 with the brand value and bank that United has. That remains to be seen.
I think appointing Mourinho or Klopp would be a much safer option as both are miles head better managers than Moyes. Also are we as fans prepared for a few barren seasons where we win no trophies and fight for the 4th place trophy? we aren't Arsenal ffs and i think the fact that Moyes is proven to do well with a limited budget worries me.

·
2,132 Posts
I don't mind not having one of the big names, I just have a few question marks over Moyes. As has been said, European experience is non existent, also I am not a fan of their style of football and the defensive minded ness he goes with into big games. I don't think we should get someone who will try emulate SAF, cos that will never be achieved - I believe we should start moving on, at least while he's still here to oversee it. Possibly the most off putting factor is the non attraction of top players or players with potential who would rather work under the likes of Mourinho.

For example, The Swans play extremely attractive football, with no star names. Now that is exciting and a welcome change. Anyway, whatever decision is made I'm sure SAF knows what he's doing as he has done now for 26 years, so I will give Moyes a chance.

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts
OK, let's get a slight reality check first. There is only one Sir Alex. We will never have a manager like him again and there never will be a manager like him again. Moyes would not come in and stick around for 20 years himself. That's not what the modern game is like and you cannot force it.

What we need is a manager who can come in, take the outstanding foundations we have and take us forward. Is Moyes the man to do this? No. For me he is someone who thrives on underdog status. He's second best in his city, got a cushy job where not too much is expected of him. Is he a winner? Not for me. I fear he'd end up a Yes man, somebody who'd end up with trying to be like Sir Alex and looking up to the stands for help. His lack of experience at the top is very concerning.

It's not an easy job to fill, and this decision is huge, however there are two standout candidates.

One is the safe option. Mourinho. You know what you're getting with him. Firstly he is the ONLY manager with the confidence, arrogance and mentality to take this job and not be overawed. He guarantees success and oozes class. If he stays for 3/4 years that is not necessarily a bad thing. Some successful stability is perfect for us right now, to try and let some of the Fergie aura die down and let the fans get used to life after Fergie and for the younger players to become the core group of first team players.

The second is a risky option. Klopp. He is a visionary and a tactical genius. Old Trafford will take a while to pick up with the air of uncertainty around him but his attitude and enthusiasm could lift everyone up. What he has done at Dortmund is nothing short of miraculous, and is doing it the right way. There's a question mark around him whether he can live with the pressure of being in control of this global brand but he could shape the team in his own mould.

So that's it. 2 stand out candidates. Klopp and Mourinho. Both would be excellent choices. I feel Moyes would be a come down or a "Fergie-lite". If we want to progress and not hit transition then we need to move on to a different era.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I think appointing Mourinho or Klopp would be a much safer option as both are miles head better managers than Moyes. Also are we as fans prepared for a few barren seasons where we win no trophies and fight for the 4th place trophy? we aren't Arsenal ffs and i think the fact that Moyes is proven to do well with a limited budget worries me.
This also might sound a bit shallow but the club of our stature needs a man not only with experience but a certain swagger, a huge personality and know how to talk to the media

·
Hi
7,245 Posts
Fergie saw potential in Ole and Ole went onto win the league. Fergie saw potential in Ronaldo and found the King. There may be better candidates, but people are getting silly in thinking Moyes would be terrible. I can see a transitional phase where SAF gives Moyes advise and he eventually learns the tricks of the trade.

People are talking absolute shit about European experience and the fact he hasn't won against some teams. Who really cares? Mourinho will come and then fuck off after 3 years and we are back to square one. Who do we sign then? Kloop would have moved on, Pep will be settled at Bayern...

If it takes Moyes a few years to settle, then so be it. But this over-reaction is getting absurd. Lets not forget his team has beaten City at Eastlands and Fergie did have that terrible record against Mourinho for a long time...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9286038.stm

I really don't understand this over the top reaction. Moyes could be fantastic, add stability to the club and be here for the next 20 years, with Fergie behind the scenes giving advice whenever it is necessary. Moyes has also helped develop some amazing players and they all moved on. He improved players too.We haven't seen Mourinho develop successive teams yet.

Moyes may not be the best candidate in the short term, but in the long term, I think he is. Given the only other option is Mourinho (because Kloop has already committed for another year), I don't see why we can't help develop Moyes into a better manager. That is what United is all about.

·
Veritas vos liberabit
10,006 Posts
The few times i've seen Everton play they've been dross. Also yes he could be here for the long term, but personally i'd have preferred we go for a big name stop gap and groom someone like Ole for the managers post.
You keep naming Ole.. but currently he's sitting at the rock bottom of the Tippleague with 0 wins, 2 draws and 5 loses.
He's not even close to being ready.

·
I can't be arsed
4,680 Posts
Fergie saw potential in Ole and Ole went onto win the league. Fergie saw potential in Ronaldo and found the King. There may be better candidates, but people are getting silly in thinking Moyes would be terrible. I can see a transitional phase where SAF gives Moyes advise and he eventually learns the tricks of the trade.

People are talking absolute shit about European experience and the fact he hasn't won against some teams. Who really cares? Mourinho will come and then f**k off after 3 years and we are back to square one. Who do we sign then? Kloop would have moved on, Pep will be settled at Bayern...

If it takes Moyes a few years to settle, then so be it. But this over-reaction is getting absurd. Lets not forget his team has beaten City at Eastlands and Fergie did have that terrible record against Mourinho for a long time...

I really don't understand this over the top reaction. Moyes could be fantastic, add stability to the club and be here for the next 20 years, with Fergie behind the scenes giving advice whenever it is necessary. Moyes has also helped develop some amazing players and they all moved on. He improved players too.We haven't seen Mourinho develop successive teams yet.

Moyes may not be the best candidate in the short term, but in the long term, I think he is. Given the only other option is Mourinho (because Kloop has already committed for another year), I don't see why we can't help develop Moyes into a better manager. That is what United is all about.
Klopp is committed until 2016.
So 3 years of Mourinho then Klopp would work out pretty well....
Just saying.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Well, look at the options. Klopp for a decade is just fantastic. He's young, has all the characteristics you'd want for a manager, is tried and proven in a tough enough league, and is a fantastic spotter/developer of young talent. But we already know he isn't available, at least for another two seasons.

Now, you bring in someone like Ole or Giggs, who the fans love. If they fail, It damages their standing within the club and community, and it damages the prospects of any future homegrown managers. And they are likelier to fail than Moyes, on account of lack of experience, and insurmountable pressure. Filling in Fergie's shoes is too big a task for an inexperienced person.

But what if you throw Moyes in? He's got a few characteristics that indicate he may become a good manager if he can survive the growing pains. The team has stable enough standing in terms of contracts and owned talent, to maintain a minimum level of success, given a decent manager. Even if he failed, we'd likely still secure CL berths. He's a pretty 'safe' choice, just not at all exciting. And if he disappoints for two-three seasons straight, his exit will coincide with Klopp's potential departure from Dortmund. The likes of Jose and Pep's contracts will be up for review with their new clubs as well. Plus, if Moyes fails, his shoes will be a lot easier than Fergie's, for someone like Ole to fill.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Yeah, SAF and SBC are completely ok with seeing what they've built go right down the tubes. :rolleyes:

I don't know how this is going to work out - nobody does. The big issue I have with Moyes is his record against the dippers. it is absolutely woeful. That tells me he doesn't perform well under pressure and neither do his teams.

Whatever happens though it's a sad day. A very sad day.

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts

People are talking absolute shit about European experience and the fact he hasn't won against some teams. Who really cares? Mourinho will come and then f**k off after 3 years and we are back to square one. Who do we sign then? Kloop would have moved on, Pep will be settled at Bayern...

Moyes is 50 years old and the third most long term manager in the league. It's disrespectful to him to suggest he needs to learn the tricks of the trade. Management is not new to him.

Also it's completely unrealistic to believe he'll be here for 20 years. The game has moved on, plus Moyes and SAF are two different types of people.

SAF has retired for a reason, not to hold the next manager's hand through his reign. If Moyes hasn't got the ability or the experience, he shouldn't be appointed.

21 - 40 of 4911 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.