Manchester United Talk banner

Daytripper United Fan Checklist

2K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  Brock 
#1 ·
New Away Shirt to prove how loyal I am - CHECK
Minimum of £100 spent in club shop on matchday - CHECK
Purchase of at least 5 matchday programmes (1 for me and 4 for ebay) - CHECK
Camera with 12 sets of batteries and enough space for 1 pic every 2 mins - CHECK
Ticket for expensive seats (expensive = The Best) - CHECK

Sing/Chant with other fans to add to Old Trafford atmosphere - Oh Damn!!! Cant be expected to remember everything

G
#2 ·
ROFLMAO Ant, like it, like it, like it. :D

Could have added.

Thunder sticks. Check
Inflatable Trophy. Check
Jesters Hat. Check
Sore throat from yapping to the Mrs. Check

Aching legs from standing up. Forget it, they have seats for a reason you know.

I see where you are coming from fella. ;)
Still hope you had a top day n all.

Now lets see what others add to the list.
Could be interesting this.

#4 ·
It would be funny if it didn't happen. :rolleyes:

I had to push my way through the people queuing to pay at the the Megawhore today.

There were loads of people queuing for programmes. If you've been before you know you can buy them inside the ground. Stop blocking my way!!!

Had a good laugh with a couple of lads who were taking the mickey out of a tourist in front of me in the queue at the food/drink counter in the stadium. Literally must have taken 10 minutes for them to complete their order of 2 hot dogs and 2 cokes. Why did it take so long? I have no idea!!!!!!

#5 ·
reddwarf said:
Had a good laugh with a couple of lads who were taking the mickey out of a tourist in front of me in the queue at the food/drink counter in the stadium. Literally must have taken 10 minutes for them to complete their order of 2 hot dogs and 2 cokes. Why did it take so long? I have no idea!!!!!!
They were training some new starters in the food bit where I was. No food available which was weird.

Saw sign advertising jobs serving food. Bro got excited til I told him he wouldnt see any United games if he did that job.

New crowds were flocking round the United Trinity Statue with their usual cameras in hand, taking every possible angle shot of it with them stood in the way.

Big bag of Fruit Pastilles from Snack shop - CHECK
Fake retro United shirt bought off ebay for £75 - CHECK
Urgency to leave their seats before final whistle to avoid traffic (LUHT - Love United Hate Traffic) - CHECK

#8 ·
Thats the reason i did not go to oles testamonial , it is full of daytrippers and there is no atmosphere at all , i have been to keanos and a few others usually when celtic come to ot because they bring massive support.
it all starts in earnest at wembley for me

#9 ·
reddwarf said:

I had to push my way through the people queuing to pay at the the Megawhore today.

There were loads of people queuing for programmes. If you've been before you know you can buy them inside the ground.
Stop blocking my way!!!

You ended up in the Norwegian queue. It was loads of Norwegian doing the trip just to pay tribute to their greatest footballer.

And maybe its funny to mock those who travels to see the games. I just have to say one thing, their money is as value as yours. Our precious owners must get a lot of money in to the club so the club can pay off their bank loans.

#12 ·
Stephen said:
Turn around and have a look of disgust at the illegal act of chanting at a football ground.

Grrr.

Prefer to be in League Two and about 10K going but all loyal singing fans, instead of the joke what we have now.
Tell me which one of the teams in League two who could sign a Ronaldo for £12M, Nemanja Vidic for £7M, Rio for£28-29M, Carrick for £14M and Rooney for what, £30M?
Dont forget players like Tevez, Nani, Anderson and Evra (edit: forgot Hargreaves) there you got another £75-80M!?

Accrington
Aldershot
Barnet
Bournemouth
Bradford
Brentford
Bury
Chester
Chesterfield
Dag & Red
Darlington
Exeter
Gillingham
Grimsby
Lincoln City
Luton
Macclesfield
Morecambe
Notts County
Port Vale
Rochdale
Rotherham
Shrewsbury
Wycombe

This is how the reality looks. No matter from what wallet the money comes from, the club needs it.

I would of course prefer the 68000 were singing for 90 minutes too. But instead of complaing, go there and sing your heart out and instead of mocking the first time visitor, help them and learn them to sing along.

Im so fed up with how we are at one moment the worlds biggest club and the next moment you look down on the visitors like you want it to be one exclusive club for you only.

#13 ·
I don't care if we sign world class players every year. Or what money we have to spend.

There are things more important than that, and people using Old Trafford and MUFC as a tourist venue, and not caring about United is a joke.

It's people's choice to sign, of course, and there are people at the ground who don't stand/sing but have been there since the Busby years - and they deserve to be there as much and more than I do.

But it's the JCL daytrippers who complain about you singing, look at you like you've just committed murder. Every time I've been in the South stand I don't get that. Because most in there hav been and seen it all - through the highs of the 50's, Munich, 60's, relegation, barron years, and the glory years.

Given the choice. An unsuccesful club, with passionate supporters who know and care about the club; or a massive superpower of a club winning trophy after trophy every year with ****s all around you?

I know which I'd prefer.

#14 ·
But why isnt there 68000 hardcore fans ever home game then? Maybe there arent enough to fill the stadium since there's so many temporary visitors, eh?

So winning every title in the world the same year is closer then to your 10K hardcore singing fans in league two.

So if you are looking for just that you say you prefer maybe you should change colours!?

#15 ·
spellbound said:
But why isnt there 68000 hardcore fans ever home game then? Maybe there arent enough to fill the stadium since there's so many temporary visitors, eh?

So winning every title in the world the same year is closer then to your 10K hardcore singing fans in league two.

So if you are looking for just that you say you prefer maybe you should change colours!?
Change colours? You can't just change your flippin team. Core blimey! No wonder Fergie said "**** off and support Chelsea" if this is the way fans think!
United's in my blood and I wouldn't change anything about it for the world.

You seen (or maybe you never, I don't know) at the Barcelona game. THe best atmosphere in years at Old Trafford, we can do it but why can't no-one be bothered? There's only a select few in Old Trafford that are willing to sing evey game.

There isn't that many "hardcore" at every home game because it's a rip-off. Nearly a grand for a season ticket? How can the local builder from Stretford afford that?

"So winning every title in the world the same year is closer then to your 10K hardcore singing fans in league two. "

I didn't really understand this but I'll answer to what I can make out of it anyway.

I don't want United in league two, I want United to be successful. I want United to win everything they compete in.
My throwaway comment was about the support.
If we were less successful (maybe we will when Fergie leaves, and the debts take their toll) then the JCL glory-hunters won't go again. Well until we win the league again of course.

#16 ·
Stephen said:
Change colours? You can't just change your flippin team. Core blimey! No wonder Fergie said "**** off and support Chelsea" if this is the way fans think!
United's in my blood and I wouldn't change anything about it for the world.

You seen (or maybe you never, I don't know) at the Barcelona game. THe best atmosphere in years at Old Trafford, we can do it but why can't no-one be bothered? There's only a select few in Old Trafford that are willing to sing evey game.

There isn't that many "hardcore" at every home game because it's a rip-off. Nearly a grand for a season ticket? How can the local builder from Stretford afford that?

"So winning every title in the world the same year is closer then to your 10K hardcore singing fans in league two. "[/B]

I didn't really understand this but I'll answer to what I can make out of it anyway.

I don't want United in league two, I want United to be successful. I want United to win everything they compete in.
My throwaway comment was about the support.
If we were less successful (maybe we will when Fergie leaves, and the debts take their toll) then the JCL glory-hunters won't go again. Well until we win the league again of course.
I’m sorry Manchester United wasn’t in my blood. I only started to support them in 1982.

Stephen said:
I don't care if we sign world class players every year. Or what money we have to spend.

There are things more important than that, and people using Old Trafford and MUFC as a tourist venue, and not caring about United is a joke.
Stephen said:
Prefer to be in League Two and about 10K going but all loyal singing fans, instead of the joke what we have now.
Stephen said:
I want United to be successful. I want United to win everything they compete in.
I don’t know where to start with those three comments. So I let them talk for themselves.

And its funny you bring up Barcelona. But since you seem to know a lot about them there’s no need to remind you the club is one of those membership owed club where each member got one vote and not a one rich man’s toy like Manchester United or Chelsea.

Also Barcelona have a political and patriotic symbol in Eastern part of Spain, in the Catalan region. The slogan of the club is something like “mes que un club” – more then a football club.
And we don’t have to go through the history of Spain with the civil war, Franco and the big bad Madrid where the power have govern the region.
In Barcelona you also see how the president Laporta runs is *ss off to please the members with summer signings or else the white hanky will fly around Camp Nou. So there’s almost as many boo as cheering at Camp Nou.

But I fully agree the one attending United games could make more noise. This problem has been going on for a long time. We all remember Keano’s prawn sandwiches- statement.:D

Even clubs like Newcastle have a louder crowd.

And you ask how a local builder can afford to buy a season ticket for a grand. It’s a rip off for sure and that’s what comes with our American sugar daddy.

I can’t tell how the hard core builder can afford £1000 for a season ticket but I can tell that one of my old class mates who are a die hard fan of a team 1000km away from here fly’s every home game to see their home games. Maybe he or she has to give up a lot of things to be able to pay that £1000 for the season ticket.

#17 ·
lol you two sound like your arguing to see who the biggest united fan is now. in football in this generation if your going to be successful youv got to accept that your going to have glory hunters

them glory hunters go to home games and make little noise but they do increase profits to help the club stay successful. if you have a problem with those fans buy a season ticket and travel with united cause thats when you get the real fans

stop complaining about the glory hunters and start worrying about the next united match your gonna see

jeeeez

#18 ·
If I moved to Outer Mongolia tomorrow and didnt return to OT for 20 years. I would still keep up to date with the club wanting to know the latest chants, news, experience that atmosphere online and generally try to make the club as close to me as possible.

Why aren't the fanatical fans who come to the ground doing this. This applies to both the UK daytrippers and the more far afield fans. If they were in tune with the club they would realise how much of an issue with regulars it is and come to the ground looking less like the typical tourist.

Taking 15 minutes to get out your row after the game cos you have fans having pictures took with scarf aloft dont wash well with everyone else. You have as much time as you want before the game and half-time to take all your pictures so waiting til we all wanna go is gonna wind us up.

#19 ·
ill admit yesterday was my first time to old trafford i did the touristy thing and took photo's went to the megastore spent £2.99 and qued for a year but flirted with the nice girl behind the counter and got money off :D lol but i tell you one thing i still sung as loud as i could i was about the only person in the stand who did bar one lad further behind me, but infron i had a family all with ronaldo shirts on and a bunch of americans who kept desucsing whos, who and how its different to basketball which annoyed me but u have to feel if there bringing money to this club then i dont care if they sing all not ill do my bit get to help the club and sing and i know for sure when i go again ill sing again end of

#20 ·
spellbound said:
I'm sorry Manchester United wasn't in my blood. I only started to support them in 1982.

I never called you a glory hunter. I'm not taking points off you, I know many reds who are fantastic lads and have United in their blood which come from abroad like Ireland, Denmark and Norway.
I don't care if our support is made up of a load of different nationalities, but it's the home of MY team, the team I love with all my heart, being used as like it's Big Ben or some other tourist attraction. It isn't, it's a football ground built of passion, courage, youth and success.

---------
--------
I want United to be successful. I want United to win everything they compete in.

What's wrong with the above 3? :confused:

Comment 1: There are more important things than signing good players every year. Keeping up the foundations and style which Matt Busby pumped into our club, surely comes before getting all the top names? Look at the souless, passionless club which is Chelsea.
And people do use Old Trafford as a tourist venue, and they are a joke tbh. Not fans.

Comment 2: I meant about support. The League Two was to empathsise my point. Less successful and keep the passion of MUFC, or become souless like Chelsea?

Comment 3: Doesn't everyone want United to be succesful? WHat are you on about here?

I don't know where to start with those three comments. So I let them talk for themselves.

Above.

And its funny you bring up Barcelona. But since you seem to know a lot about them there's no need to remind you the club is one of those membership owed club where each member got one vote and not a one rich man's toy like Manchester United or Chelsea.

Also Barcelona have a political and patriotic symbol in Eastern part of Spain, in the Catalan region. The slogan of the club is something like “mes que un club†– more then a football club.
And we don't have to go through the history of Spain with the civil war, Franco and the big bad Madrid where the power have govern the region.
In Barcelona you also see how the president Laporta runs is *ss off to please the members with summer signings or else the white hanky will fly around Camp Nou. So there's almost as many boo as cheering at Camp Nou.

Barcelona? I don't care about Barcelona. We played them last season at Old Trafford, and it was the best support seen at Old Trafford for years (from United fans). Meaning we can do it when we want to. I don't get why your giving me a lecture on the history of Barcelona, when it has nothing to do with the discussion.

But I fully agree the one attending United games could make more noise. This problem has been going on for a long time. We all remember Keano's prawn sandwiches- statement.:D

Exactly. And everyone else picks up on the prawny brigade and tarnish every fan with the same brush. Some of these opposition "fans" need to put an ear to Stretford End 2 every game.

Even clubs like Newcastle have a louder crowd.

Yes, but our singers are spread out amongst the ground. Our stadium vocals are crap and all the noise goes out the ground (unless everyone sings). But that's for another discussion.

And you ask how a local builder can afford to buy a season ticket for a grand. It's a rip off for sure and that's what comes with our American sugar daddy.

I can't tell how the hard core builder can afford £1000 for a season ticket but I can tell that one of my old class mates who are a die hard fan of a team 1000km away from here fly's every home game to see their home games. Maybe he or she has to give up a lot of things to be able to pay that £1000 for the season ticket.
Yes, and fair play to your mate, but not everyone can do that. A lot of things come into account.

Answers in bold.

G
#21 ·
I'm all for hardcore supporters filling the stadium and singing their hearts out for 90
minutes, but the truth of the matter is we wouldn't be as successful if that was the case.

The 'day trippers' are the ones who spend the money in the megastore, buy all the
replica t shirts and other crap merchandise. Without these so called 'tourists', we
wouldn't have funds to but players like Tevez, Hargreaves, Nani, Anderson et al.

Basically, we need these 'day trippers' if we're going to continue to be such a
successful club and all the people slagging them off should stfu and focus on
being a good fan instead of criticizing the people who fund out great club.

#22 ·
-zuco- said:
I'm all for hardcore supporters filling the stadium and singing their hearts out for 90
minutes, but the truth of the matter is we wouldn't be as successful if that was the case.

The 'day trippers' are the ones who spend the money in the megastore, buy all the
replica t shirts and other crap merchandise. Without these so called 'tourists', we
wouldn't have funds to but players like Tevez, Hargreaves, Nani, Anderson et al.

ffs, it aint bout hardcore regulars singing, its bout the daytrippers knowing and singing even one United song and the constant camera crap.

I know we need these people to 'fund' the club but at what cost to the club's heritage of having excellent fan following

If you was in charge of the ticket ballot results, you would look at how much they spend as opposed to if they sing or not.

#24 ·
antdevil78 said:
ffs, it aint bout hardcore regulars singing, its bout the daytrippers knowing and singing even one United song and the constant camera crap.

I know we need these people to 'fund' the club but at what cost to the club's heritage of having excellent fan following

If you was in charge of the ticket ballot results, you would look at how much they spend as opposed to if they sing or not.

Not once was Ronaldos name sung at OT on Saturday.........

...I think it was "beginning" to suffice but never took off at all!

G
#25 ·
-zuco- said:

So by that, you would be quite happy to see OT filled with 76,000 daytripping
Mr and Mrs Johnston-Smythe with little Tarquin and Chantelle types sitting around you telling you to keep quiet and sit down, calling for the stewards to throw you out for swearing.
Mr and Mrs Johnston-Smythe discussing what new kitchen to buy, while little Tarquin is playing with his iPod and Chantelle takes photos of anything and spends all the game sending picture texts to her mates.

They are not there to see United or to support the team, they are there visiting a tourist attraction on a day out.

But........

Just as long as they all have Megawhore bags with a few hundred pounds worth of United merchandise that's what really counts.

Success at ANY price eh !!!!!

#26 ·
wasnt expecting it to but this aint bout ronaldo. its bout us allowing daytrippers to do what they want and what they dont want cos of the amount of cash they pipe into the club.

Well said Salford. People have short memories back to the Arsenal cup game and Barca Semi when the One Season Ticket holders had to apply as regular balloters due to 'competition requirements'.

Why couldnt they get reallocated and some of the tourists who would have been too busy switching camera's on to watch the game or buying an official Man Utd Coca-Cola would have had to miss out. Season Tickets holders, One Year or otherwise are priority.

I aint a season ticket holder by the way but feel they bring most revenue into club.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.