Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While banter and good fun are ok, please refrain from interrupting the flow of the debate once it's gotten started.

This is a second round contest.

The Topic: Should abortion be legal?

Red Devil Jeff is all for it being legal. RedForceRising says it should be against the law.

Red Devil Jeff will start the debate.

Both people will have 3 days to prepare their debate, with RDJ making his opening statements on or before Tuesday. RFR will then have 24 hours to post his opening. RDJ will make his rebuttal against RFR's opening within 2 days time. RFR's rebuttal to RDJ will come, again, within 24 hours. Closing remarks will be started by RDJ within the next 24 hours, followed by RFR's no later than another 24 hours.

Judges will then give their winner shortly after

·
23,699 Posts
What a controversial and difficult topic indeed. :)

Come on, guys, it is high time to satisfy much pent-up demand. So..... all eyes on a close tussle II. :p

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
haha oh dear...poor abo...everytime someone writes abo i think of our natives here in Australia.....

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
versa said:
RDJ, where ra u?! :confused:
Sorry guys. I'm afraid i won't be able to make the deadline as i have my hands full with my internal exams. I request RFR to make the opening statement if possible. Hopefully, i would be able to post my opening with the extra time.

·
23,699 Posts
red devil jeff said:
Sorry guys. I'm afraid i won't be able to make the deadline as i have my hands full with my internal exams. I request RFR to make the opening statement if possible. Hopefully, i would be able to post my opening with the extra time.
Fair enough if you are in the midst of your examinations. And thanks for not throwing in the towel.

RFR, you may like to proceed first?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
red devil jeff said:
Yea, no worries mate. Giving us a heads up is definitely better than disappearing like some did... :rolleyes:

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
PrinceZane said:
Btw, when are exams over?
My external exams (University exams) which occur at the end of each of the 8 semesters (6 months) lasts about a month. Luckily i'm having internal exams now. These exams are carried out by the college twice in a semester. They only last for a week. My current exams will be over in tuesday 7th oct.

Four subjects are down only two more to go :D

·
23,699 Posts
red devil jeff said:
My external exams (University exams) which occur at the end of each of the 8 semesters (6 months) lasts about a month. Luckily i'm having internal exams now. These exams are carried out by the college twice in a semester. They only last for a week. My current exams will be over in tuesday 7th oct.

Four subjects are down only two more to go :D
RDJ, how did your examinations go? :)

You ready for this?

versa said:
Fair enough if you are in the midst of your examinations. And thanks for not throwing in the towel.

RFR, you may like to proceed first?
RFR? Been busy? :p

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I'll wait for RDJ to open.

Not much point going first and then he might or might not have time to write.
Exams are over mate. I'll post the opening as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been kind of busy myself, forgot today was Tuesday :)

Look forward to seeing this debate get underway in the next day or so *cough hint*

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Should Abortion be legalized?

Posted by: red devil jeff

I believe that abortions should be legalized. And i provide the following points to support my stance.

Rights of the woman/mother>> The women has a right to control what happens in their body. The fetus has no right over the women's body and therefore the women has a right to do what she thinks is best for her body and her future.

What about teenage mothers? Should parenthood be forced to a teenage child who in no way or form is emotionally or physically ready to accept the huge responsibility?

A popular argument is that the person knew what she was doing and the woman shouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place. But the world isn't prefect, people are not perfect, people make mistakes. Should we say “you knew what you were doing and now you must suffer the consequences�

A woman carries the fetus for ten long months, and suffers intense pain during child birth. No one else does it for her. The moral police won't do this for her. Pregnancy and child birth are important events in the life of a woman. Hence she should have the right to decide whether she should give birth or not.

Living conditions of the child>> It is better to seek abortion than to neglect a born child. If the mother/parents is in no financial, emotional, physical state to raise the baby and if she do not wish to give birth (at that particular occasion), then there is no point in forcing them to give birth. Such children are often underfed, unloved and are considered as an unwanted burden. These children become a problem for the society as the probability of such children being attracted to crimes and illicit activities are high. Such conditions can be avoided if the mother is allowed to give birth when she is ready to raise the child responsibly and not forced upon her.

Rape>> What about women who have been rape victims? Should the additional pain and burden of giving birth to the product of an unwanted ordeal be forced upon them? Such a situation is unfair to both the woman and the child. What about child rape? Is it fair to thrust the unwanted responsibility of being a mother on a child who is unready both mentally and physically? Isn't abortion a solution to prevent rape victims from being mothers against their will?

Illegal abortions>> If abortions banned, it will give rise to illegal abortions. Situations in which abortions are done in secret by unqualified people arise. This is harmful for both the mother and the fetus.

Apologies for being late with my opening. I thank your for your time and effort in reading my post.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Why abortion should not be legalized
By RedForceRising.

The question of the subject matter is whether the act of aborting a child should be deemed legal, in other words acceptable in the eyes of the law that govern a society.

Against all arguments for it and so-called conventional wisdom, my answer is a resounding NO.

The fact is that as soon as the baby is conceived, it is already a life form. Aborting this life form at any stage is akin to murder. Whether the life form was conceived out of love or rape is of little consequence. It is already a life form and aborting it is murdering a life.

The assertion that a teenage girl is not physically or emotionally ready to be a parent is laughable.

Mother nature has created women to be able to bear the physical and emotional burdens of motherhood. I have two friends, who became mothers when they were teenagers and both are doing fine.

It is imperative that we must recognize that society must play it's part to form support systems for single mothers, but that does not mean that the lack of such systems warrant the murder of life.

Europeans enjoy a relaxed view of single parent hood and offer a better support structure for single mothers than say Americans or Asians, but that does not mean that because a woman is going to have a hard time, she has the right to murder the life that she carries.

She has no divine right to do so.

If mother nature intended for her to have this right, women would be able to abort without intruding into the body. If mother nature wanted the women to have the right to control her body in such a manner, then women would probably just be able to think about it and it would be done.

But this is not the case and that is why women do NOT have this right in the eyes of nature to abort the life they carry.

On the point of illegal abortions, the problem would be avoided if society created support structures AND worldviews that will allow women to seek help.
We should not change our laws to legalize murder. We should - as a society - give women hope and help.

Women seek illegal abortions out of hopelessness and helplessness. They fear being shunned by and the burden of rearing the child, so society should change it stance. It should be OK for a woman to be unmarried and pregnant. Society should not chastise these women, but help them.

Even if a woman becomes pregnant through rape, if the support structures are there, she can bear the child and later give it up for adoption.

That a woman should conceive through an act of violence is highly regrettable, but does that condone another act of violence by terminating the unborn life in the woman?

I think not.

In addition, we have no way of knowing what potential resides within this child and how he or she will fit into the greater schemes of life.

Good or bad, the child is a life that has the potential to contribute to society and history. We have no right to interfere in the natural course of life.

How many brilliant minds have been incinerated in furnaces?

At a time when many countries are experiencing birth deficits, surely willing and able foster parents can be found to take care of any unwanted children.

The solution is not to change laws to legalize murder.
Say what you will, but abortion is the elimination of life, otherwise known as murder, and should therefor not be legal.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts