Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
thedude said:
1)Essien (depends if you consider him a CM or DMC)
2) De Rossi
3)Xavi
4)Hargreaves
5)Mascherano
Xavi a defensive Mid?? Not really!

Essien is the best, Hargreaves when he is fit, Mascherano does a good job, Diarra is ok... there's no real stand out one anymore.. the real good ones need to be v good ball players also, Roy Keane was probably the greatest in this mould!

Essien and Hargreaves are really the two best at the moment cos they're good players as well as engines! can both play in a number of positions also!

Whelan when he's in a green shirt aint a bad def mid!!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Essien is an awesome player, but where does he play these days?
Right back, right side, centre mid???
He is getting fannied about by Chelsea, well last season anyway.
Id have him as a box to box midfielder. he can score great goals too when
given the chance.

Im surprised no one has mentioned Marcos Senna. Spain won the Euro's mainly
cos of him. He gave the likes of Xavi, Inniesta, Torres and Villa the space and
freedom to shine, while he did all the dirty work at the back. Great player he is.
Makalele invented the role really. He was at his best for MAdrid and when
Chelsea won the 2 Prem's, and Keano of course was one of the best ever too
in later years when he didnt get forward as much.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Some people might say this is stupid but Mikel is playing some stuff for Chelsea at the moment, Essien is more a CM. Essien is a better player than Mikel but Mikel is better defensive mid. He plays it with ease.

·
Registered
286 Posts
1. Essien
2. Hargreaves
3. De Rossi
4. Raul Meireles (Definately underated and should be in England)
5. Senna

Essiaen definately stands out from the rest...

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
marty davidson said:
who you think is the best defensive midfielder in the world?
Esteban Cambiasso is the best one in the world. Silly Real to let him leave Spain.:D

But I do like Essien as well.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
tbh I wouldn't really call Essien* or Hargreaves a DM. A DM is someone whits and holds. Someone who will win the ball back, and give it to the more creative players.

Style wise Essien is very similar to a younger Keane - a box to box player.

Hargreaves is a 'ball winner'. He'll chase and harry the opposition into losing the ball. He plays with far too much energy to be considered a DM.

*I realise that Chelsea play him as a DM sometimes, but I think he's far too talented to be told to simply sit and defend.

For me the best DM's are players like Mascherano, Senna, Gatusso*, Cambiasso, De Rossi (most complete DM imo) ect.

* I know that Gattusso is like Hargreaves - a work horse who will chase everything down, but he's also capable of just staying back and defending, like he did vs us in the CL. He's also far more limited going forward than players of the same ilk like Hargreaves.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Hezzy said:
1. Essien
2. Hargreaves
3. De Rossi
4. Raul Meireles (Definately underated and should be in England)
5. Senna

Essiaen definately stands out from the rest...
How can you have Hargreaves as the second best defensive midfielder in the world, are you crazy??????? There are lots of defensive midfielders that are better than Hargreaves at the moment. Hargreaves could be in this list if he shakes off the injuries and finds some form but right now Hargreaves isn't the best defensive midfielder at Manchester United never mind the world. Raul Miereles is a good player but should not be anywhere near this list, Moutinho and Veloso are better than Miereles.

1. Michael Essien
2. Daniele De Rossi
3. Yaya Toure
4. Marcos Senna
5. Anatoliy Tymoschuk
6. Gattusso
7. Torsten Frings
8. Massimo Ambrosini
9. Esteban Cambiasso
10. Javier Mascherano

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
TheManc said:
tbh I wouldn't really call Essien* or Hargreaves a DM. A DM is someone whits and holds. Someone who will win the ball back, and give it to the more creative players.
Style wise Essien is very similar to a younger Keane - a box to box player.

This is Makelele...
More modern style of DM's have to know how to make passes as well.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Senna, who was the best player at the EUROs imo, is a class above everyone. He bossed every midfield he came up against, and he's deceptively quick as well. Not to mention he's an absolute tower of strength who's great in the air as well.

Daniele de Rossi is also an exceptional player, however from what I've seen he gets more forward then your typical defensive midfielder, never quite in the penalty area but often around the arc outside the box.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Is De Rossi a defensive midfielder? I think he falls into that mould of being a attacking mid who just happens to sit back like Pirlo.

I mean he plays deep and can get stuck in to a tackle but I don't know. Cambiasso & Sissoko deserve to be up on that list.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
would love to put hargo amongst the elite but until the guy is totally fit and playing week in week out i can't. if we can get him back 100% the guy is gonna be a legend in the keano mould

1 - 18 of 18 Posts