Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Del Piero is a class act and you could tell he was appreciated by the
United fans cos of the ovation he got. It was like the time we clapped
Brazilian Ronaldo.
Del Piero is Juve's top appearence maker and goal scorer and was golden
boot in Italy last season. Great player and he showed he was still up for it
with his performance tonight. He showed some great touches.
He is my favourite Juve player since the great Roberto Baggio.

He said this to the United fans:
"Personally, I'm very happy about the way I'm playing right now.
And on my exit from Old Trafford, the applause from the fans moved me
and gave me a big emotion, for this I thank them," he concluded.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=809526

Thoughts about this great player? He should go down as one of the best imo.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
yeah technically very sound, i never thought he scored so many goals though, so thats surprised me quite a lot.

Put it this way, i certainly wouldnt mind having him in our squad at the moment with all our problems !
And he's a loyal lad aswell stuck with Juve through thick and thin, fair play to him and he deserved the aplause he got last night from all of us.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Quality player. IMO if it wasn't for injuries he and Ronaldo (fat) would be up there with the best of all time.

The applause he got when he came off vs Juve was class, and fully deserved aswell.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
from alessandrodelpiero.com:

The final draw 0-0 against the actual European Champions brings to the end our English "transfer".

This period gave us an opportunity to play against the teams on the international level and to prepare better for the upcoming preliminary matches of the Championship, exremely important event of our season.

Personally, I'm quite satisfied with my achivements during this positive for me period. Leaving the pitch of Old Trafford, being awarded with applauses of all the supporters, deeply touched me and made me happy and I would like to thank again all the fans for this beautiful feeling.

Next official appointment is Juventus against Artmedia Bratislava on the 13th of August, Wednesday, at 20.45, Olympic stadium, Turin.

See you soon,

Alessandro

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Yeah, was great to see and hear. Didn't think I could think more highly of the guy after sticking with Juve when they were relegated, but they way he was interacting with the fans signing autographs after he came off made me think of him as such a good guy that is down to earth. It was very refreshing to see.

·
Registered
734 Posts
nice1 Jazz i think Del Piero is a brilliant player hes an unbelievable finisher he just curls the ball into the top corner for fun, always great to watch players like him, 1 of the greats

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Juventus supporter from Italy here:

well, Del Piero........... yes, you're right: he's a classy player and a good guy also outside the field.

But, I ensure you: he could have done more in his career if he had played in a more civilized country.......... Playing for Juventus in Italy made him subject of several attacks from the media and anti-JUVE supporters present in Italy:
accusations being about both playing and facts outside playing...... all faulse

If one day a stupid and secondary journalist woke up saying bad things on him, milions of Italy didn't wait anything else to be glad, whether or not it was something true or not.

That put him in a difficult rapport with Italy team: in all his career, he's played only 20 whole matches....... in the other 67, he either entered during second half or was replaced..... And he has never - I said never - had a place in the starting squad of Italy in all big tournaments (Euro or World Cup): every year he had to fight against this or that meteor player............... Despite that, he scored 27 goals for Italy, being the 4th all time top scorer, and that as a second forward

He suffered more than others the kneel injury in 1998: 9 months stopped.....when he came back, he was not more the same: not so reactive, not so coordinated...... Physical re-education was wrong, based more on a muscle strengthening than agility....... It took two mediocre seasons (1999-00 and 2000-2001) to come back again at the top (2001-02: 16 goals in 34 matches in Italy, and Juve got the title)

He's got some fault him too, of course: sometimes, he could pretend more from himself............ Not to be only a good player, but a great one ..... "the" greatest of the world..... He could have deserved a Golden Ball and more Champions L. wins for Juve

If he had had a top competitive spirit, he would be now in the football all time élite.....because his tecnical value is second to almost nobody

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I remember a story from espnsoccernet where del piero was quoted on how he turned MUFC down to stick with his club when they accepted a bid for him.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ejuventus said:
Juventus supporter from Italy here:

well, Del Piero........... yes, you're right: he's a classy player and a good guy also outside the field.

But, I ensure you: he could have done more in his career if he had played in a more civilized country.......... Playing for Juventus in Italy made him subject of several attacks from the media and anti-JUVE supporters present in Italy:
accusations being about both playing and facts outside playing...... all faulse

If one day a stupid and secondary journalist woke up saying bad things on him, milions of Italy didn't wait anything else to be glad, whether or not it was something true or not.

That put him in a difficult rapport with Italy team: in all his career, he's played only 20 whole matches....... in the other 67, he either entered during second half or was replaced..... And he has never - I said never - had a place in the starting squad of Italy in all big tournaments (Euro or World Cup): every year he had to fight against this or that meteor player............... Despite that, he scored 27 goals for Italy, being the 4th all time top scorer, and that as a second forward

He suffered more than others the kneel injury in 1998: 9 months stopped.....when he came back, he was not more the same: not so reactive, not so coordinated...... Physical re-education was wrong, based more on a muscle strengthening than agility....... It took two mediocre seasons (1999-00 and 2000-2001) to come back again at the top (2001-02: 16 goals in 34 matches in Italy, and Juve got the title)

He's got some fault him too, of course: sometimes, he could pretend more from himself............ Not to be only a good player, but a great one ..... "the" greatest of the world..... He could have deserved a Golden Ball and more Champions L. wins for Juve

If he had had a top competitive spirit, he would be now in the football all time élite.....because his tecnical value is second to almost anyone

Nice post and cheers for the info. I made the thread because I felt he deserved
the mention. Its great to have these kind of guys playing at Old Trafford,
and they need to be acknowledged. He has been a great servant for Juve and
Italy. Juve have always been the Italian team I follow for many years.
My fave player is Baggio though...he was amazing.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I made the thread because I felt he deserved
the mention. .....

.......Its great to have these kind of guys playing at Old Trafford,.........

..........Juve have always been the Italian team I follow for many years.
My fave player is Baggio though...he was amazing.

Yes, he did deserve a mention: specially after two years of unbelieveble and unjust troubles for all juventinians, both players and supporters

It's a honour to hear such things from the stadium of the european champions, and I thank you for that

Yes, question about who's better between Del Piero and Baggio is hard fought between Juventus supporters:........ generally, Alex is preferred by far; but in that it's important the loyalty to the team, while Baggio went to play for AC Milan and Inter too............ I actually think the contrary: BAGGIO had got a bit of class more than Alex, what took him to the highest level in some occasions (Golden Ball in 1993 and fantastic World Cup in 1994)........... True is that Del Piero has never been given the chance to play one all tournament with Italy as point of referement for the team

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
In 1993, he transferred to Juventus F.C., and has been there ever since. Del Piero made his Serie A debut against Foggia in September 1993, scored his first goal in his next game against Reggiana after appearing as a substitute, and then grabbed a hat-trick against Parma on his first start. Juventus claimed their first Scudetto in eight years in his first season and success continued to follow. With the Turin club, he won the Serie A championship seven times (1995, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2006[18]), the Champions League (1996), and the Intercontinental Cup (1996). His best season was in 1997-98, when he scored 21 goals in Serie A and finished top scorer in the Champions League with 10 goals, which included a peach of a freekick against Monaco in the semi finals.

Del Piero struggled for form at the beginning of the 1998-99 season, whilst doping allegations were aimed at Juventus (they were later found innocent). In October he picked up a serious knee injury in the 2-2 draw with Udinese Calcio. This kept him out of action for the remainder of the season. Juventus struggled without him and limped home to a lowly 6th place in the league.

His nickname is Pinturicchio, in reference to a joke by Gianni Agnelli when he compared the emerging Del Piero to Baggio in a parallel between the student Pinturicchio from Perugia and the teacher Perugino. He's also been nicknamed by the fans "Il Fenomeno Vero"[19] meaning "The Real Phenomenon".

One of Del Piero's greatest strengths as a footballer is his versatility, which allows him to play in a variety of attacking positions. While he started his club career playing as a full-fledged striker, he settled into a deeper role as a support-striker. Because of his great technical ability, accurate passing skills and impressive vision, he has also been positioned as a playmaker in the central slot behind the forwards. In any zone surrounding the penalty area, his prowess as a creator of goals came to the fore. Under Marcello Lippi's reign as Juventus coach, Del Piero's creative abilities were on display whatever the coach's formation was. Del Piero showed his class in the lethal "trident-attack" formation along with veterans Gianluca Vialli and Fabrizio Ravanelli. After that, he took a leading role in a creative combination with Zinedine Zidane behind Filippo Inzaghi. As Juve's playing style changed in Lippi's second stint with Juventus starting 2001, Del Piero was still vital as his partnerships with Pavel Nedvěd in midfield and David Trezeguet upfront has contributed enormously to Juve's continued success in Italy and Europe.

Del Piero is currently the all-time top scorer for Juventus scoring 241 goals, in all competitions he has also made over 557 appearances in official matches for the club breaking the record of Gaetano Scirea who has 552 appearances for Juventus. Alessandro is still Juventus' main strike force with Trezeguet and newly bought from Udinese in the summer Vincenzo Iaquinta.

On May 17th, 2008, against Sampdoria in the final round of the season, Del Piero at last clinched his first Serie A golden boot by scoring his 20th and 21st.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Del Piero was one of my favourites when i first heard of the term football and learned a bit of it....Euro 2000 was a competition where he shined along with his teammates...unfortunately...they didn't win it that time
But Alex del Piero is one of the best players football has given to this world and i'm very glad that i could see him play...Let's hope he'll keep playing..for 1-2 more years.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I remember Del Piero from way back in the mid to late 90's playing for Juventus. He's a real class act and a legend. A player i've always liked.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Del Piero Is One Of My All Time Top Fav. Players
Great Player Out And In The Field
And A Loyal Very Player

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
to be 34 and top scorer in Serie A is quite an achievement.

Glad the United crowd gave him the respect he truly deserved on Wed.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Zense_United said:
In 1993, he transferred to Juventus F.C., and has been there ever since. Del Piero made his Serie A debut against Foggia in September 1993, scored his first goal in his next game against Reggiana after appearing as a substitute, and then grabbed a hat-trick against Parma on his first start. Juventus claimed their first Scudetto in eight years in his first season and success continued to follow. With the Turin club, he won the Serie A championship seven times (1995, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2006[18]), the Champions League (1996), and the Intercontinental Cup (1996). His best season was in 1997-98, when he scored 21 goals in Serie A and finished top scorer in the Champions League with 10 goals, which included a peach of a freekick against Monaco in the semi finals.

Del Piero struggled for form at the beginning of the 1998-99 season, whilst doping allegations were aimed at Juventus (they were later found innocent). In October he picked up a serious knee injury in the 2-2 draw with Udinese Calcio. This kept him out of action for the remainder of the season. Juventus struggled without him and limped home to a lowly 6th place in the league.

His nickname is Pinturicchio, in reference to a joke by Gianni Agnelli when he compared the emerging Del Piero to Baggio in a parallel between the student Pinturicchio from Perugia and the teacher Perugino. He's also been nicknamed by the fans "Il Fenomeno Vero"[19] meaning "The Real Phenomenon".

One of Del Piero's greatest strengths as a footballer is his versatility, which allows him to play in a variety of attacking positions. While he started his club career playing as a full-fledged striker, he settled into a deeper role as a support-striker. Because of his great technical ability, accurate passing skills and impressive vision, he has also been positioned as a playmaker in the central slot behind the forwards. In any zone surrounding the penalty area, his prowess as a creator of goals came to the fore. Under Marcello Lippi's reign as Juventus coach, Del Piero's creative abilities were on display whatever the coach's formation was. Del Piero showed his class in the lethal "trident-attack" formation along with veterans Gianluca Vialli and Fabrizio Ravanelli. After that, he took a leading role in a creative combination with Zinedine Zidane behind Filippo Inzaghi. As Juve's playing style changed in Lippi's second stint with Juventus starting 2001, Del Piero was still vital as his partnerships with Pavel Nedvìd in midfield and David Trezeguet upfront has contributed enormously to Juve's continued success in Italy and Europe.

Del Piero is currently the all-time top scorer for Juventus scoring 241 goals, in all competitions he has also made over 557 appearances in official matches for the club breaking the record of Gaetano Scirea who has 552 appearances for Juventus. Alessandro is still Juventus' main strike force with Trezeguet and newly bought from Udinese in the summer Vincenzo Iaquinta.

On May 17th, 2008, against Sampdoria in the final round of the season, Del Piero at last clinched his first Serie A golden boot by scoring his 20th and 21st.
Complimets Zense.....good summary

·
Registered
566 Posts
wow if only ronaldo was like him.
imagine him staying if us in the championship. practically impossible! (impossible also because united nv break the rules to win)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts