Manchester United Talk banner
81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I agree, except about our squad being a bit more complete to win the treble.

the only reason we didn't win the treble was because the team didn't turn up in the FA cup at O.T. against Porstmouth. We had hammered them earlier at O.T. and just thought we cud turn up and win.

Whilst i'm on the subject of commitment. We lost in the FA cup final to Chelsea the year before because our players were on the beer (and illegals) all week leading up to the match after winning the league.

I recall Alan Hansen explaining Uniteds poor performance as tired legs at the end of a drooling hard season. What complete rubbish !

I know this for a fact because i was witness to it.

quote" Common sense would say Rooney and Tevez partnership is class and its effective as it won us the Double and could have won use the treble if our squad was a bit more complete like the 99's with plenty of classy back ups on the bench

Rooney and Tevez partnership broke up Aston Villa Boro Arsenal Liverpool Roma Dynamo Kyiv etc..... need i say more than the back heel from Wazza to Carlito ...

plus Rooney and Tevez partnership had 37 goal and 20 assist in between :rolleyes:

it is a partnership the tear the defence apart not like Berba and Rooney which just score easy goals for Berba and hard ones for Wazza[/QUOTE]

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Fergie put Berba straight into the team and dropped the form player!

What does that say to Tevez and the rest of the squad !

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

G

·
Salford Lad said:
the only reason we didn't win the treble was because the team didn't turn up in the FA cup at O.T. against Porstmouth.
The reason we lost that game was because of poor refereeing, nothing to do with the
team not turning up. Distin folued Ronaldo in the box but nothing was given. If the ref
had awarded the penalty we'd have gone on to win the game, of that I'm sure.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,812 Posts
again that pompey match...what if what if what if----as blade said it and i agree - had ref pointed to the spot we would have won it...but even without that penalty ( 2 penalties on that match if i'm not mistaken ) we had a lot of chances to win it...but...
yes there is but - but ,maybe then we wouldn't have had luck in , oh let's say, that blackburn match...or against liverpool away...or maybe we would have been stopped in the final by chelsea or even in Rome...maybe roma would have scored those 4-5 chances they had ( i don't know how on earth did panucci miss that point blank shot ), maybe Doni would have caught that ball after which rooney scored....

i'm just saying - we won a treble once - no team will repeat it again imo- cos it takes a tramendeous dose of luck and referees decisions(remember that schmeichel's sweaping of zamorano - a clear penalty) ,to go your way...
that's why i don't like people talking about the treble cos in my opinion it is unrealistic

·
Registered
662 Posts
I dont think Carlos deserved to be dropped because of the form he was showing early season. But with Wayne hitting top form, and him playing in just behind Berba who also looks to be finding his feet, I think it was a case of SAF didn't want to disrupt them.

I have no doubts that Carlos will get his chance again soon enough, and I expect him to grab it with both hands when it does come.

I think the positive point is that it looks like all three of the main strikers can play together in any combination. Rooney and Tevez proved it last season, playing some superb football along the way, and Rooney and Berba are showing it at the start of this season. Tevez and Berba I'm sure will be able to play together in a similar fashion to Rooney and Berba do, with Tevez being the one who just drops off the front and plays in the hole.

In '99 Cole and Yorke we're first choice strikers, but everyone remembers Sheringham and Solskjaer for being the hero's in the Champions League Final. I fully expect all three of our main men up front to play a big part in our season, even if Carlos is unfortunatly having limited opportunities at present.

·
Banned
15,754 Posts
Simply put, he didn't deserve to be dropped.

He was our best player early season before he was dropped, and Rooney was seriously off-form.

And talking about the Rooney-Berbatov pairing has little to do with the question in hand. They are playing well now, so it would be a bit hard to drop either one of them. But Tevez was dropped before they were playing well, not because they were playing well.

Another point is that I don't think we can say whether Rooney-Tevez, Tevez-Berbatov or Rooney-Berbatov is the best partnership.

The different partnerships are the best depening on which game we play and the tactics we choose to employ. Though Berbatov has to improve his all-round performances, especially in away games like the Everton game on Saturday.

I am questioning though, why Tevez has went from being a vitally important player to 3rd choice substitution.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,812 Posts
manutd004 said:
Simply put, he didn't deserve to be dropped.

He was our best player early season before he was dropped, and Rooney was seriously off-form.

And talking about the Rooney-Berbatov pairing has little to do with the question in hand. They are playing well now, so it would be a bit hard to drop either one of them. But Tevez was dropped before they were playing well, not because they were playing well.
Another point is that I don't think we can say whether Rooney-Tevez, Tevez-Berbatov or Rooney-Berbatov is the best partnership.

The different partnerships are the best depening on which game we play and the tactics we choose to employ. Though Berbatov has to improve his all-round performances, especially in away games like the Everton game on Saturday.

I am questioning though, why Tevez has went from being a vitally important player to 3rd choice substitution.
thank you - that was my point all along

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Salford Lad said:
Fergie put Berba straight into the team and dropped the form player!

What does that say to Tevez and the rest of the squad !

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
Fergie already knows what tevez can do , but he needed to bed berbatov in quickly .
Tevez will play his fair share of games along with the rest of the squad , its going to be long season.
What it says to tevez is just be patient you will have a big part to play this season, there is no way all of our strikers will stay fully fit all season

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
It's a long season, Tevez will get loads of games! he hasn't been dropped berb is just getting games because he is knew AND to be honest they are scoring loads anyway. Tevez still will play many games and score important goals i promise you

·
Registered
743 Posts
rooney probably wouldnt be on such good form now if it wasnt for berba, rooney is better with the big man to play off and he cant do that with tevez. i really like berba his touch and all round control of a ball is amazing, besides tevez would make more of an impact off the bench than berba so i think fergie is correct.

·
Banned
15,754 Posts
zoran_zlatanov said:
Simply,
Sir Alex WON"T pay 30m. This is his last season at Man Utd.
Thats got nothing to do with my point in fairness.

Whether this is his last season or not, hes still our player for this season so we should use him just the same way we have been using him. We wouldn't throw someone down the pecking order because its his last season.

And £30m for Tevez is a better price than £30.75m for Berbatov, but thats another story.

Boomhauer50 said:
besides tevez would make more of an impact off the bench than berba so i think fergie is correct.
Whether you think Fergie is correct or not is fine with me, thats your opinion.

But that reason isn't right imo. You set up your team to win the game, so if Fergie thought we had more chance of winning the game with Tevez starting, then thats what he would do.

Yes, its good to have options to come off the bench. But you don't set up your team to NEED to use your substitutes for sure. Their just there incase you need them.

(Hope that makes sense. Makes sense to me anyway :p)

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,812 Posts
zoran_zlatanov said:
Simply,
Sir Alex WON"T pay 30m. This is his last season at Man Utd.
you seem to be a very good mind reader - first you say that SAF thinks that berba and rooney are the best strikers in the world , and now that this is his last season at man utd...
but let's suppose that this is true - wouldn't that be a step backwards , considering that we would be hanging on only 2 top strikers...every team has at least 3, and we bought berba to have 3 top strikers not to sell tevez

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,812 Posts
as for rooney-berba partnership - i agree with abo - it's hardly a partnership...
i mean berba's two gals against aalborg had nothing to do with rooney...rooney's goal against bolton had nothing to do with berba...
rooney's goal against celtic was assisted by tevez....
berba's goals against celtic had nothing to do with the presence of rooney etc etc...
unlike last season when tevez and rooney were assisting eachother like mad men...

as for roo-berba partnership - we can talk about fletcher-rooney partnership in the same way - they banged 8 goals together - does that mean that roo-fletcher are better than roo-tev

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
CROoney said:
you seem to be a very good mind reader - first you say that SAF thinks that berba and rooney are the best strikers in the world , and now that this is his last season at man utd...
but let's suppose that this is true - wouldn't that be a step backwards , considering that we would be hanging on only 2 top strikers...every team has at least 3, and we bought berba to have 3 top strikers not to sell tevez
No, I can't read minds. It is obvious. You don't need to have extraordinary skills to see what is happening ...........
Lets wait till the end of this season and will argue again ....

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,812 Posts
zoran_zlatanov said:
No, I can't read minds. It is obvious. You don't need to have extraordinary skills to see what is happening ...........
Lets wait till the end of this season and will argue again ....
lol - we're not arguing - we're just discussing ;)
i don't think tevez will be sold...but if that happens i would be really sorry to him leave - cos he is amazing player...his presence just lifts the entire team

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
i wonder if outside issues have cost tevez some playing time of late ?
yesterday tevez was pictured in the press playing away from home with a young lady and it was not his wife , "if this story is true " it also states this supposedly happy family man has got a track record of deserting his partners and having affairs.
obviously i don't know if there is any truth in the story but if there is fergie will have been the first to have known and i don't believe he would like that sort of behaviour and the player would pay a penalty somehow. it got me thinking because tevez has been out of favour this last month ,he could easily have been used more from the bench but other players have been used more than him and this story might do some explaining to us detectives

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
CROoney said:
lol - we're not arguing - we're just discussing ;)
i don't think tevez will be sold...but if that happens i would be really sorry to him leave - cos he is amazing player...his presence just lifts the entire team
Yes :) I agree he is a good player and his presence lifts the team. But I think Sir Alex will try to sign another striker for 30M. So we will again have 3 top strikers. But I could be wrong. Who knows......

·
Banned
15,754 Posts
sweet fa said:
i wonder if outside issues have cost tevez some playing time of late ?
yesterday tevez was pictured in the press playing away from home with a young lady and it was not his wife , "if this story is true " it also states this supposedly happy family man has got a track record of deserting his partners and having affairs.
obviously i don't know if there is any truth in the story but if there is fergie will have been the first to have known and i don't believe he would like that sort of behaviour and the player would pay a penalty somehow. it got me thinking because tevez has been out of favour this last month ,he could easily have been used more from the bench but other players have been used more than him and this story might do some explaining to us detectives
Tbh, I wouldn't think this had anything to do with it.

After all, there were newspaper stories that Ronaldo, Nani and Anderson were getting involved with hookers (I think it was) and nothing changed for them.

Sure, they weren't married but I wouldn't expect that to be the case.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.