Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but it actually not to ManUtd....
Atletico Madrid striker Diego Forlan would be open to returning to English football.

The Uruguayan hitman played for Manchester United for two-and-a-half seasons after joining in January 2002 from Independiente.

However, he struggled for goals and form in the Premier League, netting just 10 goals from 23 starts and 40 substitute appearances.

His form in Spain has been sensational though, with a host of goals for Villarreal before last summer's switch to the Vicente Calderon.

Forlan believes he did not get a fair crack of the whip in England and would been keen to return if the right offer was on the table.

"I didn't get much of a chance in England, but if there is a chance to come back and the offer is really good, I'd think about it," he told the Daily Star Sunday.

"I enjoyed living and playing in England, so it's still an option."

Aston Villa and Tottenham have both been linked with the South American this week.

this is from sportinglife.com

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Not sure i'd like him back, i'd rather get a better quality player, Eto for instance.

It would be nice to see him somewhere like Villa but i'd rather not have him at a rival club and especially not score against us.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I really liked him actually.

He may not have been a fantastic goal-scorer, but his overall play was excellent.

However, I have a strong belief in not going back. So, I wouldn't really like him back because of that. It would be nice for him to come back and be a success in England though, for a club like Spurs. As long as the club wasn't Loserpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or Man City I'd be pretty happy.

And I wouldn't mind him scoring against us, as long as we won. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I dont think he ever had a fair crack at United. yeah ok it took him ages to get off the mark but too often he only came off the bench to play 20 minutes here and there. and then when he did manage to hit a bit of form at the beginning of his final season with us, Fergie stopped playing him altogether. Bit silly really.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I never thought he was that bad in the first place a decent player good strong forward.
I think if we got him back no United fans would be annoyed.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
It just never worked out for him. Cheers for the goals against the Scousers
but there would be no point having him back, even if it were true.
Why would it work this time, when it didnt the last time?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I could see him maybe playing for someone like Spurs, Villa or Portsmouth. I don't think United would really be interested in having him back though

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
he said that the sir the fans and united will always stay in his heart and he will not retire without playing for us again he said that he refused to join liverpool last summer because he is united fan
and also refused to join city in this january

·
Registered
216 Posts
coming back to do what? he was there and he didnt cut it then what makes people think he will now, im really pesimistic about recycled products

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I'd like Forlan back as our 4th choice striker. Get rid of Saha, he is good but he cannot be relyed on due to his injurys, which is a shame. Bring in someone like Bertbatov, Eto etc

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Forlán Tempted By England Return

Diego Forlán has admitted that he would like to have a second attempt to prove himself in England after showing his true colours with Villareal and Atlético de Madrid.

The Uruguayan forward spent two-and-a-half years at Manchester United, but could only manage ten goals in 63 matches for the Old Trafford giants before being off-loaded.

After scoring regularly for Independiente in Agentina, Forlán resumed his exploits with Villarreal where he helped guide them through one of the most successful periods in the club's history.

After netting 54 goals in 106 games for The Yellow Submarine, he was prised away last summer by Atlético de Madrid when Los Colchoneros paid a reported €21m for his services.

At 28, Forlán still harbours the ambition of proving that he could perform in the Premier League after previously being linked with Arsenal, Aston Villa and Liverpool

"I didn't get much of a chance in England, but if there is an opportunity to go back and the offer is really good, I'd think about it," he was quoted as saying by the Daily Star Sunday.

"I enjoyed living and playing in England, so it's still an option."
Relax guys, he isn't even linked to United in the first place.
Thus I don't really understand what do some of ue guys meant.
Look @ the title of the article properly.....it states :
''Forlán Tempted By England Return'', not ''Forlán Tempted By United Return''.
Next time, read before ue start posting away crap.
Secondly, I think he will be a great addition for teams like Everton & Portsmouth.
Imagine a strike-partnership combo of Forlan & Defoe or Yakubu!! :eek:
It will be sensational firepower for either Pompey or Toffees.
With that, they hve a great chance of breaking the 'Big 4' stanglehold
and if resilient, may break into the top 4 for a spot in the UCL.
Or possibly, Spurs may purchase him if Dimitar Berbatov leaves.
Under a great manager like Juande Ramos who possessed superb
man-mangement skills, I believe the partnership with Robbie Keane will
blossom into a world-class one. Personally, I hve no objection if he decides to
come back to the Premiership, as long as it's not to United.
We hve to go for the best. Players like Benzema, Torres & Berbatov are
impossible signings. Thus, the only realistic choices are: Fabio Quagliarella,
Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, David Villa & Samuel Eto'o. ;)

·
Statto
5,644 Posts
This cracked me up. I've dug up an old thread, and it pretty much says the same as the article I've just read today on Soccernet!!

Diego Forlan would be open to Premier League return - Europe - ESPN Soccernet

"Diego Forlan has revealed he would like to return to England in the future but says he would be happy to end his career with Atletico Madrid.

Forlan, 30, moved to Europe from South America in 2002 and spent his first two years in the continent with Manchester United, but he failed to score for over eight months after his arrival and was eventually sold to Villarreal.

Since moving to Spain, he has reignited his career and become one of the game's most sought-after strikers but, despite his disappointing spell in England, he says United are a "great club" and would relish the chance to play in the Premier League again.

"England, and the Premier League, gave me many things and I thank them for that," he told UEFA's official website. "If I have a chance to return, I would like to go."

However, Forlan does not feel he has to prove a point in England and feels that he is much the same player now as he was during his time at Old Trafford.

"I feel I have nothing to prove there," he said. "The only difference is that I am more experienced today."

Atletico are currently battling relegation and there are reports players may be sold, but Forlan says he would be happy to stay at Vicente Calderon if given the chance.

"I would like to end my career at Atlético, but it is not dependent only on me," he said.

Forlan recently signed a new deal to keep him at Atletico until 2013. "

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
He's done excellent in Spain but it would be too much of a risk. I know he didn't get much of a chance with us but he still failed to make a good enough impression.

·
Banned
2,027 Posts
I loved Diego and I was sad to see him go but at the time he wasn't consistent enough but he has shown everybody what he can do since he left us however I can't see Fergie taking him back especially if his studs aren't the right size :D a bit picky from Fergie I thought.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts