Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to be next Argentina coach, says Diego Maradona
Argentina legend Diego Maradona says he wants to succeed Alfio Basile as the national team coach and take them to the 2010 World Cup finals.

However, Maradona is likely to lose out to Sergio Batista, who led Argentina to the Beijing Olympics gold medal, in the race to take over the reins from Basile who resigned in the aftermath of the 1-0 qualifying defeat to Chile on Wednesday.

"Perhaps I am behind in the betting but I am without doubt the No1 in the hearts of Argentinians," said the 47-year-old Maradona who skippered Argentina to 1986 World Cup victory.

"I couldn't ask for anything better. I would be in seventh heaven."

Batista said he was ready to take charge.

"I feel as if I am capable and I'm convinced that I could do the job," he said.

Other candidates are believed to be Miguel Angel Russo, currently in charge of Argentine club side San Lorenzo, and former international midfielder Diego Simeone, the coach of River Plate

A spokesman for the Argentine Football Association said that the new coach will be named on Oct 27.

Basile, 64, had been under fire since his team's lacklustre showing in the World Cup qualifer against Chile, a defeat which left them third in the group.

It was Chile's first ever qualifying success over the albiceleste and first of any description since 1973.

Argentina's poor form stretches back over seven games, however, with only one win notched up in that time - a 2-1 victory over Uruguay last week.

Basile signed up in his latest stint as Argentina coach in July 2006 from Boca Juniors. He had previously been national coach from 1991 through to the 1994 World Cup in the United States.

Basile took over from Jose Pekerman, who quit following Argentina's quarter-final elimination at the hands of hosts Germany on penalties in the World Cup.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
i don't think he can be a good manager

and am afraid he would be biased by playing Messi cuz Leo is his successor and Kun Aguero cuz hes the boyfriend of his daughter :p

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why cant he do a professional job as a manager?

I dont say he would be a successful manager but I cant see why he's not going to be professional as an Argentine manager.
As a manager for a national team it requires different skills then to be a club manager. I dont think the life Maradona lives would be suitable for a club manager but why not at international stage. His personality would definitly take off the pressure from the players in WC 2010...even Messi would have to be the 2nd choice in media attention.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Cocaine for everybody!!! Seriously though, Maradona is the best player of all time, sans Best, in my opinion. That doesn't necessarily lead to managerial success though. Bryan Robson, Graeme Souness are good examples, as is Kevin Keegan. One thing is for sure, the man knows football, and undoubtedly has the respect and admiration of the Argentinean player and person alike.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah success on the pitch doesnt mean success on the touch line. The point with Maradona was as you said Piazza his status in Argentina. He's not an icon, he's lager then football. For some even larger then life. And that could lead to problem too but I think the attitude the players seems to have to Maradona he could be a good thing for them. This reqires good leaders within the team though. Guys like Zanetti could lead the forces.
But for club manager I dont think Maradona would have what it takes to get success.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
spellbound said:
why cant he do a professional job as a manager?

I dont say he would be a successful manager but I cant see why he's not going to be professional as an Argentine manager.
As a manager for a national team it requires different skills then to be a club manager. I dont think the life Maradona lives would be suitable for a club manager but why not at international stage. His personality would definitly take off the pressure from the players in WC 2010...even Messi would have to be the 2nd choice in media attention.
Good call Spelly. I think it could be possible and it could inspire the players to
play like God's :D Maradona is THE greatest player ever and Id love to see him
back in the game as a manager. Think of the football he will have them play :p
It would be the beautiful game!

Red Devil said:
He knows nothing, a has been washed out junkie whose main claim to fame is his right hand!
We know you are still bitter cos he knocked you out of the '86 World Cup :p
but your claims are wrong. You cant be that dismissive of the best player to
ever grace the game. He did some Coke when he played in Italy but it was
hardly performance enhancing.:rolleyes: (Im not advocating drugs here, they are bad mmkay)

He did things to excess and made many mistakes. He could have been an even
greater player had he looked after himself. You cant say he knows nothing, cos
he has done it all on the football pitch including practically winning a World Cup
on his own. He has been there, done that and has an insight into the game
that not many people have. He could do a job imo.
Players like this need to be celebrated, not mocked and slaughtered.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
We know you are still bitter cos he knocked you out of the '86 World Cup :p
but your claims are wrong. You cant be that dismissive of the best player to
ever grace the game. He did some Coke when he played in Italy but it was
hardly performance enhancing.:rolleyes: (Im not advocating drugs here, they are bad mmkay)
He was introduced to drugs while he was in Barca, i saw a TV program and they claimed that Diego did drugs in a night party in Braca

and hes not the greatest player ever George Best is better ;)

Kick Drug Dealers Out Of The Game :D

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Diego needs an extra income...
Vittorio Carlomango, an Italian tax ....sth...claim Mr Maradona owes 36 million euros in unpaid taxes.:D

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I've read this on another forum, apparently its tue.

If he was to get it then it would be a case of the heart ruling over the head, similar to some people wanting Cantona to take over at UTD.

Saying that it would be nice to see arguably the best ever player back in football. Great for Tevez aswell as he is close to Diego.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
TheManc said:
I've read this on another forum, apparently its tue.

If he was to get it then it would be a case of the heart ruling over the head, similar to some people wanting Cantona to take over at UTD.

Saying that it would be nice to see arguably the best ever player back in football. Great for Tevez aswell as he is close to Diego.

Great point but so is Aguero.... Aguero knocked up Maradona's daughter :D
and will be part of the family now lol.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Great point but so is Aguero.... Aguero knocked up Maradona's daughter :D and will be part of the family now lol.
Boy do I feel sorry for the child if its a boy. Think of the pressure :eek:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well as Manc said, its true. Some chairman of the Argentine football fed....Julio Grondona have said they reached an agreement and Diego Armando Maradona is the new Argentine manager.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
This could be a brilliant appointment - the best Argentinian player of all-time guiding his country to untold glory - or a complete disaster - Maradona the cokehead blamed for failure of national team.

The man is a legend in Argentina and across the World but he has very little coaching experience. I believe his last job was over 10 years ago. However, he is passionate about Argentina and will certainly give his all to make them World champions again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts