Manchester United Talk banner

Disappointed in Ronaldo

3K views 53 replies 37 participants last post by  United_OG 
#1 ·
What has gone wrong with Ronaldo ? is it all these awards he has been getting that makes him think he does not have to bother.
his free kicks have been abysmal, he does not try and beat a player the way Giggs did at West Ham, he keeps getting the ball taken of him,personally I think he is very overated,you very rarely see him go down the wing and centre the ball.
I think he needs a good talking to and perhaps a spell on the bench.
who agrees ?

#28 ·
I think this season was always going to be a hangover from last season, because the unbelievable brilliance of last season was so hyped, it will be hard for him to lvie it down. The future he will return to his dominating self.

What disappoints me though, is that in the last two years, he has forgotten how to dribble like he used to. He tries to be so direct that its like rugby and thats not how you beat players. I wish he could refind that ability to beat 3-4 men regularly, because that mixed with the goals would be unstoppable. I feat we will not see that Ronaldo again though.

He is still a wonderful player and his goal scoring is STILL remarkable.

#29 ·
PeeJay said:
Could it be possible that Ronaldo's not
playing at his best so as to make United
lower their transfer fee expectations?

Not alluding to anything but it surely
would explain his drop in quality/enthusiasm.

No I think that it is his showing off with all those silly stepovers and then the ball taken off him thats the problem,if he just played like the others he would bbe better off.

#30 ·
For **** sake..!!
Dont understand this Ronaldo slating, 15 goals and 5 assists so far after a serious ankle operation that kept him out for 2 months, not bad!!
I think Fergie has told Ronaldo to be more of a Winger this season..
His attitude is ok i guess but i do agree his free-kicks are *****!!

#31 ·
Just to clarify, he has 15 goals and 10 assists according to the goals and assists chart and im pretty sure he has more than 5 assists anyway because this season he has been a little too unselfish.

I agree with zuco and steven that he was at his dribbling best the season before last but he was still great at dribbling last year but was also alot more direct, hence the more goals and less assists.

I think the ankle injury hit him harder than he would have expected. I sometimes have more confidence in ronaldo shooting with his left foot at times than his right at the moment but before he would always hit the target pretty much all the time he had a shot!

He looks to be getting better and better each game though and is trying to beat players again!

All i would say to the guy that goes 'he should quit with the stepovers and be like everyone else' that type of statement is pure rubbish. Those stepovers and skills are what seperates ronaldo from anyone else and its his flair/showboating along with goals people go to matches to watch.

Ronaldo even not at his best IS without question, uniteds best player.

Not having the greatest of seasons but the stats speak for themselves. No preseason, came back from injury before schedule, missed 2 months of the season AND yet he still is our leading goal scorer with 15 goals and has 10 assists.

We miss him more than anyone in the team!

pz!

#33 ·
United_OG said:
Just to clarify, he has 15 goals and 10 assists according to the goals and assists chart and im pretty sure he has more than 5 assists anyway because this season he has been a little too unselfish.

I agree with zuco and steven that he was at his dribbling best the season before last but he was still great at dribbling last year but was also alot more direct, hence the more goals and less assists.

I think the ankle injury hit him harder than he would have expected. I sometimes have more confidence in ronaldo shooting with his left foot at times than his right at the moment but before he would always hit the target pretty much all the time he had a shot!

He looks to be getting better and better each game though and is trying to beat players again!

All i would say to the guy that goes 'he should quit with the stepovers and be like everyone else' that type of statement is pure rubbish. Those stepovers and skills are what seperates ronaldo from anyone else and its his flair/showboating along with goals people go to matches to watch.

Not having the greatest of seasons but the stats speak for themselves. No preseason, came back from injury before schedule, missed 2 months of the season AND yet he still is our leading goal scorer with 15 goals and has 10 assists.

pz!
top quailty post :)
do you ever have a bad one?:p you seriously need to post more man

i really cant say anything that you havent :rolleyes: next time send me a pm and give me alittle of what your going to write so it sounds like i actully know abit :eek: ;)

#34 ·
charles said:
I am not comparing what he did last season,I am sayng THIS season he has been a shadow of himself,he at his age and the talent he has should be terrorising the other sides not keep runing into trouble and shooting over the bar,and let someone else take a freekick if he can't score.
Wow.

You need to have a word with yourself, seriously. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but..wow.

#35 ·
he carries the name Ronaldo....ppl are bound to be critical, but i have no major complaints with his recent attitude and peformance. ppl got to realise not only berbatov takes time to gel with the new team, ronaldo, rooney and tevez all have to adjust(not sure what word to use here) a bit accomodate berbatov. we are getting into form, and our players are clicking and will just keep getting better.

#36 ·
It is obvious people will compare Ronaldo's performances this season to the last one but it is rather unfair to think he'll have a season like last years.

Last season whatever he did worked for him but this year he has had a lot of problems first of all coming from injury without any preseason training. His role this season has been more of a winger than like last years when he used to roam around anywhere on the pitch. Currently he is contributing more to the team with his passes and crosses unlike last season when he used to shoot whenever he had the ball at his feet.

He is our top goal scorer so far this season and there is fair amount of games left for him to reach 25-30 goals which is excellent for a winger in any league never mind the best league in the world.

Although I'm defending him for the above reasons he has been a little poor in his passing with a loss of concentration in a lot of games.

#37 ·
versa said:
I feel a need to defend Mr Cristiano Ronaldo. :eek: :p

In a nutshell:

* 15 goals and 5 assists despite out for 2 months.
* Our top goal scorer and second in the league as a winger.
* Unreal to compare with last season's extraordinary exploit nobody expects to be repeated.
* Attitude has improved vastly in United colours and the sour look has disappeared.
* He is now more direct, willing and attempts more incisive passes sooner than his selfish and self-glorifying former self. Many clever flicks and lay-ons are first class that create opportunities for his team mates.
* He has cut down his antics like diving and hardly screws his face these days.
* Appears to run into trouble often because there are closer attention from 2 to 3 players whenever he has the ball since he becomes the World Player of the Year.
* Still a big threat for us whenever he surges forward and runs at opposition, again creating holes for his team mates to exploit.
* Free kicks and long shots suck though.
* And have to agree too that his taste in women is indeed fast deteriorating, going by the rumoured latest squeeze.
good post!

And can I just add that I appreciate Ronaldo a little more after watching him play live'

Yes, sometimes he can be frustrating, but the guy tries to beat players and is one of the few that get people excited in the stands. He is a joy to watch and what I would fault are his free kicks and hesitancy to pass to team mates when he hasn't scored yet and the team is leading - he doesn't maximize the chances we have on goal that way.

#38 ·
United_OG said:

pz!
Absolutely agree except that I think Rooney is our best player

#39 ·
United_OG said:

pz!
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=22774&cc=5739

it's six assists

#40 ·
United_OG said:

pz!
Good Post

#44 ·
#45 ·
The guy who sits next to me in the Stretty is always claiming Ronaldo 'can't be arsed' and 'doesn't want to be here'.

The way I see it if he wasn't bothered he wouldn't keep stepping up to take the free kicks. I have to admit I'd like to see a few taken by someone else though, he has lost his sense of direction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.