Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to talk about the gaps/opportunities in midfield where we could add to give us a whole specturm of midfield pl;ayers. [n.b. mods, the primary objective of this thread is to talk about midfield, should persons (i..e me and others) talk about targets, so long as it's intertwined with analysis it shouldn stay in the chat room. Otherwise should it go into a tangent of midfield trasfer targets then feel free to move it into the transfer room).

In light of recent transfer notes we've been linked iwth Veloso, Mouthinio, Valencia and the other hondouran lad from Wigan. It makes me think where do we need to recruit? Where could our options be better futureproof? Orrr do you think, our midfield is complete?

My personal view is we could do with another winger, it'd take the pressure off Nani to perform well and hopefully relieve him (no pun intended!) while allowing him the time and space to improve his shooting!. nan has great shots, but they're not bloody accurate!!

Attacking midfieler as well, Anderson-son-son is a wee bit young to take the full mantle of being our focal attacking midfielder; Scholes surely can't have many more years left in him, and we'll be stuffed without him. So, an attacking midfielder to soften the blow of a retired Scholes. So this is my logic for the link with Mouthinio, Alexis Sanchez and this new south american kid we've been linked with in the past couple of days.

Me thinks we could do with a solid defensive midfielder as well. veloso comes to mind,m we were linked with him last year as well. At the moment we don't have a outright primary defensive midfielder; hargreaves is a tenacious all action hassler and hustler midfielder who'll run his legs 10miles a game,, Fletcher is an all action can defend and attack, but not a sitter, back4 protector and blocker. This type of player could come in very useful for us, the makalele role for example.

So, mupteeerrs.. have your say :p

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
scholes, carrick, anderson, fletcher, hargreaves, ronaldo, nani, giggs, park, oshea(?)

if we are to buy, we have got to sell. and i dun think any of the above players mentioned will leave, at least for next season

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
We don't need another midfielder. We need a right-back and/or a striker, the latter more importantly.

We have: Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves, Anderson, Fletcher, Giggs, Ronaldo, O'Shea, Park, Nani; Rooney and Tevez can notably used as an attack-mided midfielder when needed (see Barca away). Then we have Possebon, Sean Evans and Eagles who are from the reserves. Danny Wellbeck can play down the wings.

WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER MIDFIELDER.

Scholes is not near the end. Plenty of years left in him.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with the sentiments above.

With Hargreaves, Scholes, Carrick, Ronny, Nani, Anderson, O'Shea, Fletcher, Giggs and Park, we have the best midfield in the world.

The last thing we need is to recruit more midfielders, we're more in need of another striker, goalkeeper and possibly a right back.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
RememberTheName said:
I agree with the sentiments above.

With Hargreaves, Scholes, Carrick, Ronny, Nani, Anderson, O'Shea, Fletcher, Giggs and Park, we have the best midfield in the world.

The last thing we need is to recruit more midfielders, we're more in need of another striker, goalkeeper and possibly a right back.
Goalkeeper?

:s

·
23,699 Posts
Our current midfielders are not just full to the brim but overflowing. Ten in total?! Unless there is another midfielder somewhere that can add a different dimension to our game and also provided we sell, I can't see any more space for a new player or anybody would be crazy enough to join us at all.

Although Carrick is slightly off track in the last 2 games, I still believe he would come good as the best defensive midfielder for us. And he would be a classy one as well, not by brute force but by intelligence, clever positioning and timely intervention in winning back the ball, and spraying the necessary killer passes. His composure these days and the ability to find that wee bit of space and time with the ball are signs of his class and growing stature in our engine room.

Likewise for Nani, my faith in him as an accomplished attacking winger in due time remains steadfast. Let me remind you gently that no other United player has scored as much as him from outside the box and his number of assists still ranks pretty high up among the assist list. He is still raw and immatured of course but with enough experiences, games under his belt and with the proper guidance from Fergie, I think he would be another gem discovered. He already has the necessary ball skills closest to Ronaldo's and just has to work on his game and more notably, his footballing decisions with the ball. Well, Ronaldo wasn't better in the first 2 seasons with us....

What about Hargreaves? I think he is just a marvellous acquistion, being so capable of playing in different positions and the closest one we have to bend it like Beckham in freekicks. I am very tempted to leave him as our RB if I have my way as he has the fitness and speed to run the flanks and his crosses must be the best we currently have. Contrast Brown's. Lol.

Anderson, as we all know, is a swash-buckling type of powerful midfielder we have. Direct running, strong on the ball and absolutely fearless. Think his duel with the seasoned Steven G and the some-say-best-midfielder-in-the-world Fabregas. Lol. Except like I said elsewhere, he has yet to develop his attacking instincts properly, which when he does, will be an awesome attacking midfielder in our ranks.

And Park, the tireless workhorse, recently seems to have won some favours from Fergie and richly deserves it for his industry. Could do better if he has more cutting edge to his offence play though.

Nothing much to talk about Giggs and Scholes after all these years, except maybe Giggs can do a thing or two as a fresh reserve when legs are tired towards the end of the game and that Scholes still manages to find some reserves in his tank.

Skip Player of the Year, Ronaldo, who has a thick thread dedicated to him already.

Fletcher and O Shea will always be squad players, I am afraid.

So maybe what we need is just a striker, not another fox in the hole or linkup man like Tevez and Rooney please. Either a proven goal scorer like Huntelaar or some powerful target man. Manucho? I actually can't wait to see him in action for us after what a stunning display in the recent African Cup. And I am not a bit worried that he will be cowed by the speed and robustness of the English game at all as African teams these days are no longer slow and weak but just as quick and aggressive.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
While getting a few young midfielders is a good idea, our primary concern should be signing a striker and a right back. Those are the positions that needs to be strengthened before we go out to buy a midfielder.

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think people are forgetting about future proofing ourselves. Giggs won't be around here for many more years, neither will Scholes. I think this but i see on pitch that Scholes has adapted his game to peak effectiveness; no longer running to and fro all the time, but sits, tackles and starts attacks spreads passes. I think judging by his form and class now, i think he can stay on till the end of next season at least. Then after 1 season at a time, how he feels and all that lot. But he won't be around in 3 or 4 years time like wise for Giggs.

This may sound funny but Veloso could be a bit like the current paul scholes doing the job of sitting in front of the back4, tackling, defending and Orchestrating the attacking play.

our current tteam. O'Shea should never be used in either a 4 or 5 msn midfield. He's a much better defensive left back who can play Rb and Cb. He's a versatilie defender that's what he is; a midfield player he is not (maybe for 10-15mins at the very most but 100% not starting).

When Scholes and Giggs retire, we'll be 2 midfielders short, i was talking about getting replacements for them. "fuiture proof"; Wingers -1 = 3. I don't think Chris Eagles is going to make the grade here now. SO another Winger would be natrual.. :)

centre midfield - scholes = Carrick, Anderson, Fletcher, Hargreaves. These are the only good enough central midfielders (post-scholes). What about a defensive midfielder, someone to do the makalele role for us and an attacking midfielder totake the pressure off from Anderson to be creative.

we don't have anyone in central midfield who can create chances other than Carrick and Anderson [Fletcher 50/50]. So i really do think we could do with a couple of midfield boys to fill these potential gaps. Also note that Giggs isn't really as effective on the wings for 70% of the season.. No longer can we see Giggs running down the wing whiile we hear United sing... ANother winger in my opinion is critical, Park doesn't score as many goals as i'd like him to while, Valencia yesterday got a couple of goals that were well taken. he seems to have good composure in the box 'e does.

Mouthinio, Valencia, Veloso, (Hargreaves could be our wing back, Wesley Brown could be our defensive Rb, Gary Neville our 1st Rb (Simmo and Da Silva can also play n the right of defence...). So Whether we should pursue a R wing-back is questionnable. Asd it stands Hargreaves can be well utilised in defence or in midfield.

A striker is critical, though Campell Welbeck and Manucho have yet to coem in to prove what they can do. If Manucho can have the Adebeyor effect, i'll love it. I'm sure Welbeck or Campell could fight it out for the final striker spot, or maybe they#ll both be our strikers (#4 and 5). ANd soo, i question whether Ferguson will go for a striker.. I know one thing = Saha is most certianly going to be shed away from Old trafford (and go on to score buckets of goals for Lyon)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Stephen said:
We don't need another midfielder. We need a right-back and/or a striker, the latter more importantly.

We have: Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves, Anderson, Fletcher, Giggs, Ronaldo, O'Shea, Park, Nani; Rooney and Tevez can notably used as an attack-mided midfielder when needed (see Barca away). Then we have Possebon, Sean Evans and Eagles who are from the reserves. Danny Wellbeck can play down the wings.

WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER MIDFIELDER.

Scholes is not near the end. Plenty of years left in him.
I can't really argue with that logic. We definatly need another striker in my opinion, as well as a young promising right-back that will rise to superstardom :D

As for arguments placed saying we need another attacking midfielder, my argument to that would be if we bought another striker this would no longer be an issue. With a big target man in the mould of RvN, Rooney and/or Tevez would be free to drop deeper and set attacks up from there.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
midfield is one area i think dont need strengthening

carrick hargreaves park giggs scholes anderson nani fletcher just to name a few.

strength in depth and good mix of experience and youth

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
versa said:
Our current midfielders are not just full to the brim but overflowing. Ten in total?! Unless there is another midfielder somewhere that can add a different dimension to our game and also provided we sell, I can't see any more space for a new player or anybody would be crazy enough to join us at all.
I have nothing more to add to this post. This thread can be closed.
Versa has said it all.

No need to baby Nani, he needs to grow up, and i agree he can become what we hope will. He was my dream siging along with Torres. He needs to mature A OT.
So all the more he needs to play. When he gets injured, Park is there. I don't wanna hear anything about him being in the squad to sell shirts. The guy plays like his life depends on him and I looooooooooove him.

Midfield is complete!

Buy a striker. Don;t even need a right back. Neville+Brown+Simpson+Hargreaves = Covered.

Depending on Foster's fitness maybe a goalkeeper, because Kuszczak gives me nightmares.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i personally feel that the mdfield at present time is perfect an does not require the dominanting figure being expressed by some due to the phisophy of football presently at united.yes we dont have a gerrard but with such a type of player you can not fot a player of rooney or tevez's style of play your require deep lying player makers such as carrick and scholes of course they arent as entertaining as or as tireless as gerrard but if you compare watchin the 2 teams as a whole you would have to say united are better on the eye.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Im going to run off a list of midfielders I think we could sign thats could so no kaka , messi player like that because we cant sign them can we . Ok so these are players I would add if we could get them daniel di rossi , ashley young , gareth barry , frank ribery , basten schweinstiger and gattuso

Id go for gattuso for the reason Ive always wanted to see him play for united

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
fazman said:
Im going to run off a list of midfielders I think we could sign thats could so no kaka , messi player like that because we cant sign them can we . Ok so these are players I would add if we could get them daniel di rossi , ashley young , gareth barry , frank ribery , basten schweinstiger and gattuso

Id go for gattuso for the reason Ive always wanted to see him play for united
They are great players you mention but as stated by EVERYONE else above you:
we DONT need any midfielders..........
actually.......(Ill come back to this later, I have an 80's night to get to :eek: :cool: )

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Why do we need another midfielder?

We have the widest selection of central-midfielders in England, possibly even Europe in Scholes, Carrick, Fletcher, Hargreaves and Anderson. 4 of the 5 (excluding Scholes obviously) and young, younger (Fletcher) and very young (Anderson.)

And thats just our central midfielders. Ronaldo, Nani, Giggs and Park are battling it our for 2 wide positions. Obviously Giggs will need to be replaced in a year or too, but not at the moment.

Then of course you throw in the likes of Welbeck, Possebon etc, and, a player who everyone seems to be forgetting Manucho (he can play on the left wing) who can all play out wide.

What we need is a striker and possibly Lahm if we can get him. We've got plenty of cover elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Nani was bought to replace Giggs and to be a 2nd option for the wing after Giggs and Anderson was the same thing just for Scholes but once they both retire (Giggs and Scholes) we will need a 2nd player in both positions to keep up the squad depth and for backups and stuff hence in the long run we need a AMC/MC and a LM or winger for those two...its ideal to have 2 players in one position and that is what we have at Man United at the moment and once Scholes and Giggs retires we need to keep that up and sign two players in those positions…

To me we need that strong bull-dog type of midfielder in the dmc role like Keane was or Davids, Viera, Mascherano and so on...we still lack that and for me Hargreaves is one of the best dmc's in the game and should be our first choice next to an attacking midfielder (Scholes, Anderson) and Carrick is a good passer and a good attack breaker and counter attack initiater but for me lacks that strong physical prescence which imtimidates players...hargreaves does give it but he is versitile and if we play him say in another role like he did vs roma as a rm or as rb vs barca and west ham we would need another physical player like him in midfield....at the moment both Carrick and Hargreaves are doing an excellent job as the defensive midfielder BUT I think we should invest in another one like Gattuso or Pirlo...as well as a winger (left winger would be good) and an attacking midfielder...I also think Fletcher should be sold to make room for these players and also because he should play first team football and is not doing so at OT and should move to like say Portsmouth or Aston Villa or Blackburn or back to Scotland with Rangers or Celtic where he could hold down a first team starting place because he deserves to imo...then again there is that kid possebon in our reserves who could be that player so yeah...

Basically I think we need to invest in a left winger for the post giggs era and an attacking midfielder centre for a post Scholes era and maybe Fletcher should go out and play first team football for another club as he deserves and we should invest in a tough dmc like Gattuso or Pirlo or even maybe Veloso…the Giggs and Scholes replacements can happen when they retire because for now we got cover but the fletcher issue would be best this summer imo

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
We're top heavy on midfielders at the moment, Nani, Fletcher and Carrick aren't top level quality so we may need to buy one more as Scholes ticks away

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow.. that must be th first intelligent and critcal post from an Aussie chap.. :eek:. Are there more like you down under? lol, im joking. incisive and critical post though, absloutley spot on. Future proofing ourself is important. being an oxymoron though, the 'replacement' for scholes may have to wait for a while. Scholes looks vintage these days, like he's 23 not 32(3), and really could play for another 3 years easilly. BUt sooner or later he will retire, and when he does i think it will be the saddest day in the Ferguson era.

Maybe, if Scholes and Anderson(Fletch as backup) can keep on going for a few years we won't need another back-up. To be fair I think we can get away without getting a Scholes replacement until he does indeed retire from playing to go into a managerial role. Scholes the next man Utd amanger? What about Scholes, Giggs and Keano with Quieroz as head coach as a dream team managerial team?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts