Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one minute they are fantastic, future world players of the year-the next we are slagging them off to another extreme.

isnt it about time we steeped back and all took an objective long term view and stopped either over hyping them or criticising them in ways they dont deserve. they are young guys still learning the englisg game and still learning the united way-many of them have actually come from abroad which means they also have a new culture,lifestyle and language to learn- try putting yourself in the same position when you were that age......doing those things would be hard enough without the pressure of trying to make it as a professional footballer aswell.

over praising them means often we are unrealistically raising expectations to a level that is unsustainable for players so early in their careers and at the opposite end of the spectrum-make a mistake or two and some people are willing to damn you.

rafael comes to mind.....after his early peformances some people were praising him to ridiculous extremes, yet when he made a few defensive lapses-which he was ALWAYS going to do coming from brasil and being an attacking player he started getting the other extreme of abuse and critcism.

lets take a step back after yesterday,look at each player objectively with along term view and not be so over eager to heap unrealistic expectations upon them,yet also not over ctiticize them when they still have so much to learn.

sometimes we need to give ourselves thinking time before we jump in with comments and we need to give them time and breathing space to learn the game.......only in the long term will we see if they are the real deal:police:

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
The problem most young players have is that they are inconsistent. Their form can be very patchy and it can be frustrating watching a player with tremendous potential playing badly, especially if it lasts for a few games.

Young players need games as part of their development but at big clubs they often find themselves only playing in Carling Cup matches or 'easy' league games so the bulk of their playing time comes in the reserves.

Anyone who has watched reserve team football will tell you that quality and pace-wise it is far removed from the Premier League. To make the step up from reserve team football to Premier League football is difficult and takes time. It is important to be patient with young players. The United coaching staff watch them in training every day and I trust their judgement so if they believe in the player then I do too.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I think in a way we do expect too much from our young players..!
Like you said Scott, we have over - hyped some of them at times, so that when they make a minor mistake it leaves them open to criticism.. It takes time for these young players to develop and that's what they need Time and Support.. they are probably at the best club for that aswell.. SAF knows exactly how to handle these young players, he knows when to give them their chance and yesterday he put a lot of trust into the younger lads who did well, but in the end were defeated.. I know we didn't win but there were positives to take out of the game, how our young players played against a top PL club at Wembley..
I think some fans forgot how tough it was for some of the younger players yesterday to play on such a big stage.. Anyway these players just neeed some games to develop their talents further and next season they can push on for 1st team places if they are good enough..
As for your point on Rafael, I don't think he was criticised or abused by anyone for his few defensive errors.. that was expected from a young brazilian full back.. I think everyone was excited by him and only had praise for the lad.. As for Fabio also, he looks a top player even though he was forced off through injury again..
In the end we have some very talented youngsters at this club that will make our squad for next season even stonger and we will go onto greater success while developing these young players..

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
I find it funny when guys on the forum instantly judge players based on a 5 minute spell in a match..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts