times that United have
greater squad strength than
ever before -

..... but do they?

Tell us what you think ... ;)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I think we got enough cover. Pique, Brown, Silvestre, O'Shea can all play cb if needed and they can do a good job like O'Shea did in Rome and with Rio in such great form we should be able to manage for 2-3 weeks imo. At least we are all set for the 2nd leg not like last season when we had to win inorder to progress. The only game we should be worried about a little is the Arsenal game but Brown always plays good against them and Silvestre as well and O'Shea did score that cheeky goal against them at Highbury :p

·
Registered
590 Posts
It has often been said, you can tell a truely great side by looking to their subs bench. In most areas of the team we have strength in depth and could cope with injuries.

I think we could cope with the loss of any midfielder, excluding Ronaldo, and in defence we could cope with the loss of anyone, apart from possibly Rio.

If VDS were to gety injured, I would be happy with Foster playing out the remainder of League games, but in Europe I would worry about Kuszuzcak playing at the Nou Camp etc. (Foster is not registered to play in Europe.)

Up front is where I feel we would struggle the most. It has been proven that we struggle without Rooney and this is when we generally lose matches, e.g. City home and away, West Ham, Bolton etc. Tevez seems to have the ability to come up with vital goals and that could be priceless in the run in. He has already saved our bacon in games like Spurs away, Lyon away, as well as crucially breaking the deadlock against Chelsea at OT.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
jd_united said:
It has often been said, you can tell a truely great side by looking to their subs bench. In most areas of the team we have strength in depth and could cope with injuries.

I think we could cope with the loss of any midfielder, excluding Ronaldo, and in defence we could cope with the loss of anyone, apart from possibly Rio.

If VDS were to gety injured, I would be happy with Foster playing out the remainder of League games, but in Europe I would worry about Kuszuzcak playing at the Nou Camp etc. (Foster is not registered to play in Europe.)

Up front is where I feel we would struggle the most. It has been proven that we struggle without Rooney and this is when we generally lose matches, e.g. City home and away, West Ham, Bolton etc. Tevez seems to have the ability to come up with vital goals and that could be priceless in the run in. He has already saved our bacon in games like Spurs away, Lyon away, as well as crucially breaking the deadlock against Chelsea at OT.
could not agree more. the triple threat of rooney ronaldo and tevez will be required to unlock defences, especially the r&r connection, they will be needed against the very top teams, the likes of barca and chelsea.

·
Registered
488 Posts
No doubt we have a strong looking bench... In the case for the title in EPL... We are still up to it... SAF have already been using them throughout the season... But what I'm afraid most is that in CL, the bench looks rather new to it... other then Hargreaves who play for BM, the rest of the might not be up to it...

Several United trophy quests in recent years have been derailed by key players getting injured at this critical time of the season.

Let's just hope that SAF technical knowledge will come in handy...

He's with the lads most of the time, if he think they are up to it I support him all the way.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
imo i think it depends on the position, like an injury to either tevez or rooney would hurt more than one to carrick, anderson, or scholes. as far as to nemanja i think we have adecuate cover we can play oshea, pique etc, but its going to be a test since the rio-vida partnership has been unstopable.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
defence and midfield wise. we should be able to cope. its our strike force. once rooney and tevez are both out, we do not have any recognised strikers in the squad. yes, ronaldo may be able to play up front like what he did against rooney, but what if he gets injured too? who do we depend on? saha? this would be like playing with any strikers.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
this is the strongest utd squad for many a year ,the only weakness being we are 2 strikers short at present ,although vidic is our best defender in my opinion i believe we can cover him short term,i just hope he is fit for the semi's {we will progress}or the very least the final if we could get there , it would be heartbreaking to see such a vital player miss the big one {just like 99} i hope it does'nt work out that way.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Depends on who the injury was to. As long as we avoid injuries to Rio, Ronaldo and Rooney then I think we have good enough cover in the squad to cope.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
reddwarf said:
Depends on who the injury was to. As long as we avoid injuries to Rio, Ronaldo and Rooney then I think we have good enough cover in the squad to cope.
Agree with most of the posts here....we do have a very strong squad. We could survive a few injuries, but one to any of the above three would be very troubling.

redwarf is such a smart poster, I seem to use rd quotes often! :D

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
moondog said:
redwarf is such a smart poster, I seem to use rd quotes often! :D
Why thank ya very much moondog :eek:

It would be fantastic if we had a fully fit squad to choose from at this stage of the season but that is always unlikely.

We've got Foster, Park, Silvestre and possibly G Neville all back from long-term injuries but Fletcher, Saha and Vidic are currently unavailable. Positives and negatives that the manager just has to deal with.

We're in a much stronger position than last season when we were down to the bare bones defensively and I'm confident that the squad we have will win at least one trophy this season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts