Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking after everyone complaining. Do you know how good we have it.

Everyone is complaining about the result and giving out about Fergie and Berbatov but spare a thought for the people who followed United through the Barren Years.

Hell, the Barren Years for me and many other supporters was when we went 4 years without a title.
I think it is shambolic what people are saying. WE have the best manger in the world. The World Player of the Year. The best centre half in the World. The best left back in the World and the best squad in the world.

During the 70's and 80's we were having a shocking time of it and people were just accepting it and still loved the club and wouldnt say a bad word about it. But these days every little defeat or poor performance is an embarrassment and the players should be ashamed. Someone on this forum criticised Berba for not celebrating enough. The Fulham game wasnt just a bad performance. Apparently Fergie ****ed it up and we are bottling it. Some people would have you believe that Liverpool are in the driving seat for the league title.

We are the Champions of England!!
We are the Champions of Europe!!
We are the Champions of the World!!!!!

But apparently that isnt enough

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
It is not enough because United are never happy, that`s why we are so succesful .. Our hunger for titles has no limits.

But you`re right .. Let`s appreciate what we`ve got, some other teams :)rolleyes:), they dream of having just a quarter of the number of titles we have got.
And if that`s not enough .. We have got the best bunch of players, & the best manager we could have been gifted with .. :happy

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hell, the Barren Years for me and many other supporters was when we went 4 years without a title.
I think it is shambolic what people are saying. WE have the best manger in the world. The World Player of the Year. The best centre half in the World. The best left back in the World and the best squad in the world.
I'll reply quickly before this thread is closed.

I supported United through the truly barren years, the 70's and 80's, and I mean supported as in turned up at Old Trafford every week.

Yes we had a truly outstanding season last year, but that was then and this is now.

Today's team selection was a joke. Fletcher out wide? Seriously? Giggs in midfield? He's signed his new contract now so we're back to the constant coughing up of possession. Player of the year my f***ing arse.

So we go a goal down and a man down after 18 minutes. What does the manager do? Nothing. Absolutely nothing whatsoever. We somehow get to half time only a single goal down despite having been battered, and the manager brings on Rooney for the ineffective Berbatov. For the next 20 minutes Fulham can't get out of their own half, an equaliser is inevitable . . . but the manager brings Tevez on and pushes Rooney out onto the wing, end of game for us.

The arrogance at leaving players like Rooney and Carrick on the bench for a must win away game has cost us a hard fought lead at the top of the League, and the ineptitude of the tactics used to try and pull the points out of the fire is there for all to see.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
the ref today was a total tosser - can he not talk to ronaldo from 3 yards ? come to me you naughty imp --- yellow . great keeping display by fulhams keeper . rooney should lose two weeks wages he behaved like a spoilt brat .

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
well my grandads uncle was a regular when newton heath were in their infancy and my great nan once noshed sandy turnball up a ginnel just for a bag of broken biscuits so i must be top red :D

S

·
0 Posts
well my grandads uncle was a regular when newton heath were in their infancy and my great nan once noshed sandy turnball up a ginnel just for a bag of broken biscuits so i must be top red :D
250 TRPs to you hags. :thumbsup:

My grandads uncles sister made newton heaths shirts out of old sheets and
their dad drew the lines around the pitch with a chalkstone. :p

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Finally a thread not moaning about the result or a rush of panic or whatever.

As United fans, we start every season with the utter belief that we are going to be either lifting the trophy come May, or else coming 2 nd and at the very worst 3rd. Why? Why should we, and Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool too for that matter, think they have the divine right to win it or finish so high. I hate to see what would happen to some fans on here if we finished 4th! Its all down to the incredible success we've had here down through the years, and the lesser success of those clubs around us. We're the icon of English football to most fans around the world and the only reason is because of the success. I gaurentee you that if you asked what team United beat in the '68 Cup Final to some fans, they'd look at you and say Liverpool or something.

Theres 20 teams who start the Barclays Premier League season and before a ball is kicked, EVERY club has a chance of winning it. Aston Villa are a testament to the League. How long ago was it when they were finishing in the bottom half and now they're puching very well for a 4th place spot and their fans are loving it. Imagine us in their position!

How many games do we loose a season, not a whole lot to be fair, and that has become a regular scene. That simply can't stay the case forever. We will have bad years, bad days, bad results and the likes, but the highs will come too. By the looks of it, we will go on and win the League this season, but thats not seasled yet by any means, but should we go on and lift the trophy in May, to some it'll just be another figure in the list so its longer then other teams lists. I'm of the belief I'll see a United team someday who won't be winning it every yaer or two, and one which will weed out the "fans" who are simply glory hunters, who will slowly slip off to support who is winning it all.

Does no one remember the feelings of winning the title 2 years ago, getting it back from Mourinho, then even more, winning in Moscow only LAST YEAR! Now its all doom and gloom. If its doom and gloom for us, what the hell is it for Liverpool? So many people on here don't realise how close United were to loosing Fergie. Sir Alex went 7 years here without a trophy, and although it was probably very tough for fans back then, I would love to experience it now. That sort of feeling where you go along to games being the under dog and then winning and moving up, and if you got beat the week after, it was all ok if the team gave it their all. Thats not the case nowadays.

European competition is another luxury we have. Every single season we're there in the bowl for the group draw, and every single year we expect to qualify. Remember those paper headlines after Benfica finished us off in Portugal only a few seasons ago? Time for Fergie to go, United have blown it, not the team they were, massive changes needed etc etc... That was a dip, but we we went up again, and we will go down again and the biggest thing is how we can respond. At Old Trafford, you don't get that incredible atmosphere as much any more and fans seem to be leaving earlier then usual. "Oh, we're 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go. We can't loose this. I'll nip off..." Does it kill to stay to the end and applaud the team off the pitch? If you want to moan when you feel they've done badly, then at least have the respect to praise them when doing well.

The talk of 5 trophies this season is incredible. It would be amazing, I'd love it of course, but you simply have to wonder where the hunger for next season will come with all those titles on you back. It probably sounds so stupid, but it makes sense in my head, that we should go a season where we don't win the league, or a cup. Someone else will get their names on it and then the hunger can be instilled for the season after to go and get it back. The attitude is woeful at times. Teams are in battles to just stay in the League and you'd think we'd be pushing on to do the best we can. There are teams that will never win the Champions League, win the Premier League, win the FA Cup, play at the Nou Camp, Bernabau, Old Trafford, Celtic Park, the San Siro etc.. on a Champions League night in front of thousands. We take it for granted.

I'm intrigued to see what happens when Ferguson calls time on his stay at the Theatre Of Dreams. Will fans all be expecting instant success? I certinaly hope not. I can see all the threadds being started;

Ferguson Would Have Started Him
Would Fergie Make That Switch?
Sir Alex Did That So Much Better

etc... The next manager will be a new man completly with a new playing style, and new tactical frame of mind with a new mindset for success. I'm guessing most will be going mad after a few games, and won't give him time. Again, we take it for granted that all it takes is a man with a credible track record to make a few astute signings, select a team and watch from the dugout and that the success should continue to roll on.

A few things I think should be considered by fans would be;

Would you support United if they weren;t in European competition?
Would you support United if they were classed as a mid table team?
Would you support United if they dropped a division?

Anyone can hit reply and say "Yes, Yes, Yes" but they can't post honesty and their true feelings all the time and theres a portion of fans here and all around the world who I think would decide to go elsewhere and forget about United.

Poeple say every game for us is a must win for us, just look at the bottom of the table when they're fighting for survival! Personally I think being in a teams shoes who are in that position would be somewhat more exciting. Every week your looking at about 5/6 other teams results, the next set of fixtures, if you could spring a surprise result against one of the big boys etc... And yet we're up the top, 4 points clear, possible 7 in we win a game in hand and results go our way but no matter what, we have it it in our hands and its ours to loose. Yet that isn't enough for some! Would you rather be in Chelseas position? Liverpools? No, because they aren't top, they are banking on a United slip up.

I think next season will test a lot of fans nerves and true support. Time will tell...time will tell...and sure isn't that what its all about?

Football the beautiful game!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I have been following Manchester United since 2000, i havn't really seen them go to long without a title, the hardest parts were during 2003-2005 where Arsenal and Chelsea were the dominant teams, some people never see there teams win anything, that's pretty sad, us United fans see titles nearly every season.

What i am about to say has nothing to do with Soccer or Man U.
In Australia the AFL is the main sport, and winning trophies in that is really hard, people who support AFL teams sometimes have to wait upto 50 years without seeing there team with success, my dad had to wait 44 years until he saw Geelong win the trophy.

So we should be happy with Man United, they always win titles, they are after all the champions of europe, champions of england and the champions of the world.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
...Remember those paper headlines after Benfica finished us off in Portugal only a few seasons ago? Time for Fergie to go, United have blown it, not the team they were, massive changes needed etc etc...

A few things I think should be considered by fans would be;

Would you support United if they weren;t in European competition?
Would you support United if they were classed as a mid table team?
Would you support United if they dropped a division?

Football the beautiful game!
Well, regarding the 1st part, I agree. Losing to benfica is a disgrace. IF it wasn't for refs, they wouldn't even be in the european zone they are now, and have missed out on the CL a lot lately, because they're *****. They're the liverpoo of Portugal. ;)

2nd bit, I'll say yes to all 3, but, since United, while dear and special to me, isn't my major love, I can say that without much thought. I'd say the same for Sporting, too.

As for the 3rd bit, it's THE MOST beatiful game. Nothing comes close.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
I must say that a lot of supporters on this
site talk about possible buys and results and
the like. It's a bit strange to me as supporting
was never like that when I was growing up in
Manchester (or when I was in Italy following
Lazio). Personally, I think the duty of every
supporter is to support their team and not
talk about losses and trophies and the like.

I guess that's just me, though.

·
Gary Neville's love child
4,035 Posts
The fact of the matter is, as chelsea didn't win this result is bad but not disasterous, i really am not scared of liverpool so don't care what happens tomorrow. As for the fans that'd disappear if we went down or went through another barren spell its true, but that's cos loads of glory supporters follow us, tbh i know in my heart i am a loyal and committed supporter and so i know i will always be with Man Utd, i may get some stick for this but i found it really hard to not question the loyalty of FC United fans, i mean i know they left for a good reason and most still turn out for man utd, but i personally believe you stand through thick and thin so I could never support another team.

This is the time to get be getting behind the team and not panicing (not that what we do probably matters that much lol), personally i feel we haven't played good attacking football all season (couple of exceptions), whereas defensively until now we had been class, and yet we're still on for our most successful season, so chins up and believe.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
My hometown team Atlas of guadalajara (pictured on avatar) have not won a trophy in 58 years but no matter what happens I have invested so much in them emotionally that I just cant stop supporting them, thats probably the same with united.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was just thinking after everyone complaining. Do you know how good we have it.

Everyone is complaining about the result and giving out about Fergie and Berbatov but spare a thought for the people who followed United through the Barren Years.

During the 70's and 80's we were having a shocking time of it and people were just accepting it and still loved the club and wouldnt say a bad word about it. But these days every little defeat or poor performance is an embarrassment and the players should be ashamed. Someone on this forum criticised Berba for not celebrating enough. The Fulham game wasnt just a bad performance. Apparently Fergie ****ed it up and we are bottling it. Some people would have you believe that Liverpool are in the driving seat for the league title.

We are the Champions of England!!
We are the Champions of Europe!!
We are the Champions of the World!!!!!

But apparently that isnt enough
where did you support them from your armchair in dublin:bye2:and the baren years were when we went 19 years without a league title

1 - 20 of 42 Posts