Manchester United Talk banner

What Would You Do?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Presuming Tevez leaves, do you think we will need to buy a new striker or make do with what we have?

What we have: Rooney, Berbatov, Macheda, Welbeck, Campbell.....Ronaldo can play up there.

Who we might buy: Benzema, Villa.....you know, the usuals.

What would you do?

Personally, I'd make do with what we have and try and buy a winger so that Ronaldo can play up top more often.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
I said make do with what we have. We have two class
strikers and two with serious potential. Another striker
would impede their progress. There's a reason why Arsenal
players are so good at such young ages, it's called playing
time.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
No, we have Ronaldo, who is probably the best centre forward in the world. He is wasted on the wings. Amazing in the air, beating defenders, shooting from distance, an amazing centre forward. Pared with Berba it will be too much, his runs on the end of Berba's passes.

Would like another quality winger though, someone young. Dos Santos is playing well at Ipswich apparently...

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I voted yes to buying a new striker earlier, but I didn't mean to. :rolleyes:

I don't believe we do.
If Tevez does leave, maybe?

But like what was already said we will have Rooney, Berbatov and even Ronaldo.
Also we have good young players like Macheda and Wellbeck who will seek game time.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
If Tevez leaves then yes.

Attempting a whole season with Macheda and Welbeck is not very wise methinks. Both will probably develope into very good players, but they are several seasons away from being the finished article.

Benzema or Villa would be amazing dream signings.

If we were to be more thrifty, then I'd suggest one of the following

- Dzenko (Wolfsburg)
- Gignac (Tounouse)
- may I even dare to submit Benni McCarthy's name? He might not be a worldbeater, but he's useful and might be available for a reasonable price. Just to have an experienced striker to back up Rooney and Berba. He probably would also be less angry sitting on the bench.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
NO.

Like RFR, i agree it wouldnt be wise to attempt a whole season with macheda, welbeck, and campbell. however, the key to this is that ronaldo can play upfront, and do a good job than most strikers does.

add in the fact that we have tosic, park, nani, rotating can be done around.
i feel we should give nani a run of games to show us his true abilities.
one-off games arent really beneficial to him showing us what he really can do.
also, tosic looks to be one prospect, and im sure fergie would start playing him next season.

bringing a striker would mean berba/rooney would be relegated to the bench. plus it would hindered the development of macheda and welbeck.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Yes, we would.

Obviously Macheda and Welbeck have great potential, but I wouldn't be confident going into the season with them as our back-up's just now. Ronaldo can also play up there, but I would prefer him on the wing. I know he's good in the air, but I think with his pace, skill. Also, if he plays on the wing he can come inside, as well as going down the outside so we can have the best of both Worlds.

As for who we can get, I'm not sure. I think we could end up in the same position next season if we go for a Villa, Benzema etc so I think we should go for a good player who could do a job for us. Who that is, I don't know.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
I said yes buy a new striker as i don't believe we will sign Tevez because i think that if we were to buy him the deal would already be done by now and not waiting until the deal is over and letting other clubs get a sniff at him i also believe that if the prices are quoted we should sign a real "striker" in the sense someone who has great finishing an stays up top more then the current players we have here!

i really believe the opportunity is there to sign a world class striker in the summer because to me it looks like Benzeema Villa and even Eto'o could be on the way out of there clubs!
Lyon are underachieving this season and i don't see Kareem staying around if they do not quailfy for the champions league
Valencia are in deep financial turmoil and will be looking to cash in on Villa(and Silva)
and it seems to me that Eto'o is not really wanted by tyhe Barca board as they were trying to get him out during the summer but no one was really interested for some reason so we could see the same thing this season!

However if tevez does sign i think we should keep what we have and concentrate on signing a world class winger like Ribery Silva or Young as the two main problem areas for us IMO are the wing(either left or right because Ronaldo can play both) and up front where we lack a real striker

IMO i think in the Summer we will sign a world class striker i think it will be Benzeema and Valencia from Wigan!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i just hope utd can find a striker that stays up front because seeing our strikers playing in our own half for most of the game is starting to annoy me :mad: , i always thought a striker plays up front and when in possesion heads for goal and takes shots . all utds established strikers seem to drop deep and try to be playmakers instead of finishers , i know utd have done extremely well the last few years but with a natural finisher it would surely be a lot easier and sooner or later this team will have to get more ruthless or the scousers will catch us.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.