Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are all grasping at straws to try to figure out the enigma that has become our beloved United - at least to this point in the season.

There are various threads on coaches, tactics, players, hunger, performances, contracts, players we let get away, and potential signings (are you kidding?).

But, is the problem more fundamental? Do we now have TOO many superstars? Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Rio, Nani (self-proclaimed)....the list goes on. Their egos all require attention and soothing - it must make SAF sick.

Is it time for Fergie to take the lot down a peg, perhaps even get rid of a high profile player in January to make a point?

We all know he has done it in the past, to some acclaim.

Just a thought.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
At least he got rid of Kieran Richardson. :p :D

When you have a squad full of great players there are bound to be a lot of egos in the dressing room. I don't think it's a case of having too many egos it's just how you manage them.

Many people claimed that England had too many egos playing for them who had no pride in the shirt. Capello came in and has proved that it was more down to the fact that Steve McClaren was a terrible manager.

I think Fergie is strong enough to deal with them and if any of them do overstep the mark then we know they'll be out the door, as Beckham, Van Nistelrooy etc will testify.

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
reddwarf said:
At least he got rid of Kieran Richardson. :p :D

When you have a squad full of great players there are bound to be a lot of egos in the dressing room. I don't think it's a case of having too many egos it's just how you manage them.

Many people claimed that England had too many egos playing for them who had no pride in the shirt. Capello came in and has proved that it was more down to the fact that Steve McClaren was a terrible manager.

I think Fergie is strong enough to deal with them and if any of them do overstep the mark then we know they'll be out the door, as Beckham, Van Nistelrooy etc will testify.
Richardson was a lot better than Nani

·
Registered
854 Posts
moondog said:
We are all grasping at straws to try to figure out the enigma that has become our beloved United - at least to this point in the season.

There are various threads on coaches, tactics, players, hunger, performances, contracts, players we let get away, and potential signings (are you kidding?).

But, is the problem more fundamental? Do we now have TOO many superstars? Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Rio, Nani (self-proclaimed)....the list goes on. Their egos all require attention and soothing - it must make SAF sick.

Is it time for Fergie to take the lot down a peg, perhaps even get rid of a high profile player in January to make a point?

Just a thought.
Agree 100% with all of this.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
moondog said:

Just a thought.

its a very good thought moondog.your so right...i agree with every word...:cool:

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
moondog said:

Just a thought.
Its a good thought, and it could be the reason.

But Berbatov is the only new player, and I wouldn't say ego was a problem last season. And if anyone can control egos, its Sir Alex.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Its a good point but what about Chelsea? They have Terry, Lampard, Ballack, Deco, Drogba etc....
So RedDwarf rightly points out you can have alot of egos in the dressing room but they have to be controlled!

I dont think this is our problem, plain and simple i think we are just too wasteful infront of goal, we just have to stick the ball away.... and this will come, hopefully when it does come the goals will start flowing!
*talk about flowing.... i have to go pee lol*

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
i don't believe we have too many egos..we have one in particular which seems to have caused problems, one players stupidity can affect a whole team and i think this has happened. also undoubtedly look at where we are double champions...more pressure, more teams up for using negative tactics etc and a team that is in so many competitions it's almost untrue.

i hope with all my heart we can get something this season and i believe we will, but expecting the same again i think is impossible and i think as has happened in the past after great success we will miss out this season in some respects in some competitions. i hope we can turn the league form around, but in europe think we are the strongest team in the champions league- it's up to everyone involved to knuckle down and make sure we make history and retain it

agree moondog SAF needs to bring in a world class midfield general at some point, if not january then next summer

·
Registered
376 Posts
moondog said:
Personally I think Ronaldo should have been sold. He's on borrowed time as it is and he will go sooner rather than later. He's been the diamond in our crown without which we would not have won the league (o6-07 07-08) or CL last season. But his time had come.

My take on the bigger picture is that this team was really going somewhere and Ronaldo didn't want to go with them. This has had a knock on effect in the dressing room.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Its amazing in the summer everyone wants a new striker and a new star, we get possibly the best available at the time and a few months later we have too many stars, how bizzare is that.
This thread sums up peoples insecurity , i have said before i am an alarmist but i have got to say nothing like some people on this forum , fickle is the word

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
The whole football scenario, not just United, is driven on pure unadulterated ego power. Its brought on by money.

In Busby's team, Best had it and it showed. Now its commonplace and its driving people away from the game too. You can see the average age of the match going fan is falling dramatically, I would say its about 20-21 now.

I am confessing to losing my passion held for so long. I have been United since Boadicea beat the Romans 2-1 in extra time but never has my passion been as low as it is nowadays. If I miss a game, I don't even rush for MUTV anymore.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stretty said:
Its amazing in the summer everyone wants a new striker and a new star, we get possibly the best available at the time and a few months later we have too many stars, how bizzare is that.
This thread sums up peoples insecurity , i have said before i am an alarmist but i have got to say nothing like some people on this forum , fickle is the word

I will take issue with these comments.

Berbatov is not necessarily who I was referring to. I think the problem would have existed without him.

And fickle? I don't know what comments in this thread can be described as fickle.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
stretty said:
i have said before i am an alarmist but i have got to say nothing like some people on this forum , fickle is the word
lol stretty i think your talking through your bum bum:p

Did you even read the post... apart from the first post???:confused:

You cant go saying things like that, when its not true:eek:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't think that ego's are necessarily the problem. The way football is with the
money that is involved all teams now have ego's. Lots current players have said
Ferguson has mellowed but they have also added that he can still dish out a
rollicking if its needed so i dont think he lets them get too big. Ronnie may be the
exception there but i dont think there is anybody in the world who could controll
his ego!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
lol stretty i think your talking through your bum bum:p

Did you even read the post... apart from the first post???:confused:

You cant go saying things like that, when its not true:eek:
Hey you are right mate , either im ****ed out my brains when i write these comments or my computer is sending them to the wrong thread , i have had to delete a comment this morning because it wasnt relevant, this one looks like it belongs on the berbatov thread and doesnt make sense to me either

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Rant on Rooney, Tevez, Nani and Anderson.

Couldn't see another thread for it, so this will do.

Where do I start? I'm not going to call any of them a poor player, because their potential is evident, but I don't think their individual performances over the last month or so can be defended.

Rooney, you're up. Undoubted potential, I won't deny, but he has been shocking since he faced Everton. Who gives a crap if he's chasing his hundredth goal? He's been careless, wreckless, clumsy and desperate. I can't help but relate to the free kick he gave away against Chelsea, and yes that was more than a month ago but oh well. Absolutely needless and cost us two points. Lost his head and probably would've been sent off had it not been for Fergie subbing him against Everton. He had these same problems four bloody years ago, it's about time he learns from his mistakes and grows up.

Tevez. Seventeen appearances this season and two goals, and one was a penalty! Yes some have been as a sub, but I'll bet 8-10 have been starts. He puts in a whole lot of effort, but where's the reward? He gets his opportunity and proves exactly why Berbatov starts ahead of him.

Nani. Enough said.

Anderson. A year ago I thought he was the total package. Young, but mature, with all the potential to succeed, seemed like he had a good head on his shoulders. But, now, what's happened? He's shown no improvement, if anything he's gone backwards. No adventure, no creativity, nothing! Can't shoot to save his life! It's so damn frustrating, you can see the potential he has, but ffs, a lot of my friends who support different teams call him crap, I can't defend it at the moment!

Right now, Berbatov, Park and Fletcher all start ahead of them, and for good reason. Rooney still starts, for a reason I can't comprehend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts