Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this will cause quite a stir amongst his staunch supporters,
but I have to ask, because I'm starting to have doubts about him.

From the onset, I was not a fan of Carlos Tevez, but his warrior-like
performances and late vital goals won me over.

He struck a very good partnership with Wayne Rooney which resulted
in some beautiful goals, as well as the league and CL double.

But is keeping Carlos Tevez going to be worth his price tag?

With Frazier Campbell and Danny Welbeck showing great promise, the
once sparse attacking department is starting to bulge.

Rooney - Berbatov
Tevez - Manucho
Welbeck - Campbell

Granted, we have hardly seen Manucho except for 20 minutes against
Boro, as well as in the reserves and Campbell and Welbeck are still
young, but in my mind I see each player bringing something distinctive
to the squad, but Tevez is very much similar to Wayne Rooney.

Not just in stature, but in style and he is unfortunately not as clinical
as one would like.

So what does Carlos add?

He adds grit, determination, running, tenacity and he pulls defences
apart with his movement off the ball. A very tricky player indeed.

But does this merit his supposed 36million pound price tag?

Bearing in mind that good English players are scarce and that both
Welbeck and Campbell might turn out to be very capable players /
squad players at the least, I'm in favour of persuing a clinical striker
and not making Carlos Tevez deal permanent.

What do you think and if you agree, who would the possible candidates be?

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tevez: I fear for my future
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1924812.ece

CARLOS TEVEZ admits he fears for his future.

The Manchester United striker poured his heart out to Diego Maradona last week, revealing his frustration at having fallen down the Old Trafford pecking order.

Argentina boss Maradona said: “Tevez is worried about not being in United's first-choice team.

“He's got a challenge ahead of him to win himself a place among lots of extremely good players, including Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov.

“But I saw he was in good shape and told him that the best way of showing his ability is to win the arm-wrestle against all the other players.

“Then he'll give himself a good chance with the Argentine team.â€

Tevez has started only four of United's Premier League games so far this term.

He played against QPR in Tuesday's 1-0 Carling Cup fourth-round win but his reward for scoring the Red Devils' late penalty winner will be a return to the bench for this weekend's home clash with Stoke.

Yet new Argy boss Maradona added: “I believe in his ability and I know he features in Sir Alex Ferguson's plans.â€

Even Park Ji Sung is now getting more game time for United and the South Korean insists Tuesday's win was the perfect way to bounce back after Saturday's 2-1 defeat at Arsenal.

He said: “We lost against Arsenal, which was obviously not good.

“But we're still in the season andthere are many matches ahead, so I'm not worried.â€

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
oh my god , again that he's too similar to rooney claims.

let me tell you one thing - who ever can look at the things unbiased, subjectively , there is no single doubt in my mind that he will see that carlos tevez , was one of the most important players in our last year's success....

ask any football expert about that !just because he was thrown in a very poor state of mind by benching him while he was undoutabely our best player , doesn't mean he lost his class !

like i said - his big strenght is urging defenders to make mistakes and that way they give us the ball which results with our opponents reducing their numbers of attacks..

remember - every big away match last season that we started with him and wayne in 4-4-2 formation we didn't lose last year !

yes- he'll be worth every penny we pay for him !

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
I think with making berba our untouchable striker we've certainly lost something - sure hes' got better touches than tevez and rooney but that's about it when it comes to his advantages over them...

if you want passion,interplay betwen the strikers, pace, speed, agility, defending, counter-attacks, impact on every match - they posses all that atributes ahead of berbatov in my own , personal, humble opinion....

last year our greatest strenght was firm approach to derbies with exquisite counterattacking displays...just when our opponenets thought they're about to score one - BOOM - we countered them and scored a goal - whether it was by telepathic understanding (roo-tev - against liverpool ), or some great moves ( saha-evra-ronaldo against arsenal ) , it was irrelevant, we didn't lose...

another problem you'll find if you scratch under the surface ( and that's what i noticed on saturday )is that last season we had tevez- rooney chasing down defenders causing them to give us the ball more often thus reducing the numbers of opposition attacks ... like i said - why repairing when it ain't broken

and that was one of the main reasons why our midfiled was so great..because when having both of 'em invloved you had 2 pit-bulls adding up to our midfield , and not only that our opponents midfileders didn't have the time to think, they even had to ensure there's always at least 1-2 dmf's staying around center circle, not adding to their attack because they were affraid if they lose the ball - the counter would be hitting them like a lightening from the clear sky ...but that was only when we played both roo and tevez up front - and that was in the first part of the season ...making rooney a left winger had something to do with it too because he was sacrifised for the results in big matches - and it worked

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
This is nonsense. Tevez is and will be one of our best players. few players have the heart and passion for the game he has. We all hailed Ronaldo for what he did last season, but we forgot what Carlitos Tevez did last season.Without him Unitd would have given chelsea the premiership away.
Carlitos is far better than Berbatov, and that's the only reason i didn't want Berba to come to us:(. I don't say he's not good enough, not at all. All i'm saying is Ferguson should try and find a team formula that should include all 4 superstars UNITED have.Tevez is a great talent, and we shouldn't let him waste his talent on the touchline

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Of course he's worth keeping. Last season he scored many vital goals for us and I am sure he will do so again this season.

What happens when Rooney and/or Berbatov get injured?
Bring in Manucho/Welbeck/Campbell? If that's your answer then kiss the title goodbye because none of them are ready to make the step up yet.

The treble winning season is the best example of why having 4 top quality forwards (I'm also including Ronaldo) is so important. Competition for places is vital. Do you really want Rooney and Berbatov resting on their laurels because they know they are guaranteed 1st team football?

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Yes he's important!!! The games he saved us in so many times...

Rovers away
S. Lisbon away
Liverpool away
Spurs away

He's vital, and he's so unfortunate not to be playing, the berba fun time will end
soon adn if he doesn't turn in the performances and goals, he'll fnd himself on the
bench...

Dwarfy said:
What happens when Rooney and/or Berbatov get injured?
Bring in Manucho/Welbeck/Campbell?
Not a bad option TBH....really could make it here

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I agree with RFR to an extent...... Tevez was in form when we dropped him at the start of the season but he still only managed 1 goal...... that isn't good enough!

I don't know if i would like to see him leave OT so i would love if Fergie could play all four... there must be some way of doing this!

Tevez is a top player, but 30mil..... how much is Benzema again

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
lets say so when Rooney is injured and we are going to face Liver/Villa/Arse you want to go with Manucho/Wellbeck and Berbatov :conufsed:

stupid question OFcourse we need carlitos all good teams have more than 2 great strikers

look at realmadrid Raul Higuan Ruud
Barca Henry Etoo Bojan
Inter Cerspo Zlatan Cruz Adriano plus the young italian striker Botanlilie or whatever
Milan Shevchenko Pato Inzaghi Borrielo
Juventus Piero Trazuegiet Amauri Iaquenta
Chelsea Drogba Anelka Kalou (they play one striker only so 3 for one position)
Livrpool : Torres Keane Kuyt
even Porthsmouth with Crouch Defeo Kanu Sahar Utaka and Nuget

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
tevez is very important...given a run in the team like last year the guy would be hitting the net, his general play and commitment can't be faulted anyway. the only problem i see with him though is if he keeps playing second fiddle to berba and gets frustrated and decides his future lies away from OT.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
I remember saying something like this a while ago and getting stick from some of the posters here. Especially you RFR, :p

My concern was that Tevez might not be too happy playing second fiddle to Rooney and Berbatov. Also, the final transfer fee we're going to have to pay was too much imo. But the posters here was quick to point out the huge volume of games that we have to play and said that Tevez will have enough appearances to keep him satisfied.

That did convince me. If we are going to fight for trophies in all four competitions, we're gonna need more than two world class strikers. So do we really need Tevez? imo that depends on what we do after letting him go. If we're gonna just let him go and do nothing, then that would be a bad idea imo.

Frazier Campbell and Danny Welbeck are still prospects. While Welbeck is still in his nappies, Manucho looks far from ready to start matches for us. Not to mention the world of trouble we'll be in if either of our front two gets injured.

I love Tevez for his work rate, enthusiasm, his ability to score clutch goals and his team mentality. There's no denying that Tevez played a major role in our double winning side last season.

There's also something i'd like to point out and it some what echo's what CROoney said. We lost something when we made Berba untouchable. I do not think it was our counter attacking ability that we lost. Tevez for all his skills is not super quick. I think we lost some bite in midfield due to the non inclusion of Carlos Tevez.

Having a forward partnership of Tevez and Rooney gave us one thing, workrate. And lots of it. This helped our midfield as Tevez and Rooney did a lot of chasing around did a lot of donkey work. While they are criticized for roaming about in midfield, it did help our midfield imo.

This season imo, we look too light weight and fragile in the middle of the park. Imo this because our starting lineup consists of Rooney, Berbatov, Ronaldo and Nani. Apart from Rooney, none of them are too keen to track back. This meant our midfield had their hands full. Also, the constant nagging injury of one Owen Hargreaves didn't help much. Now i see a lot of people voicing their opinion that we need a new midfielder. A defensive hardman that would do all the donkey work for the team.

While Tevez is a great player, imo Wayne Rooney is every bit as good as Tevez if not better and can do everything Carlos does. Imho Carlos Tevez is a luxury for us. If we look at our three strikers, all three of them are similar in a way. All three of our strikers like to drop deep to the midfield linking with the mid and creating chances. None of them fancy playing off the shoulders of them last defender trying to get the odd scrappy goal ala RVN.

If you remember the Celtic match, there was a lot of occasions where Ronaldo crossed the ball to the six yard box only to be cleared by the defenders even after the introduction of Berbatov. Berbatov for all his height and aerial ability seems incapable of finding the right spot to head these balls. He's too busy dropping to midfield looking for the killer pass.

So if we are not going to make Tevez permanent, then i hope we have a backup plan. I hope we sign an out an out no nonsense striker who will ease the goal scoring burden from Ronaldo's shoulders. I know life isn't like football manager and we cannot buy and sell anyone we like. I'm just offering my view on the issue.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Z

·
0 Posts
Keano! said:
Yes he's important!!! The games he saved us in so many times...

Rovers away
S. Lisbon away
Liverpool away
Spurs away
Do you mean Lyon away?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
there is no doubt tevez is a quality player but im not convinced he is the answer for utd on his showings to date , for me he is a little small and lacks that eye catching prescence that a taller faster player would create .the more physical defenders now they can push him around and this is bound to have some bearing on fergies decision to keep him on the bench. i would take kenwyn jones instead of tevez every time and tevez will cost much more than jones and is nowhere near as effective.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I don't know why so many people seem to think it's a case of one or the other. Competition within the squad is a good thing. Look at Chelsea's midfield, they don't need all of them, but it sure is useful. I would be worried if I were Tevez though, Fergie's showing no sign of breaking up his Rooney/Berba combination.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
sweet fa said:
there is no doubt tevez is a quality player but im not convinced he is the answer for utd on his showings to date , for me he is a little small and lacks that eye catching prescence that a taller faster player would create .the more physical defenders now they can push him around and this is bound to have some bearing on fergies decision to keep him on the bench. i would take kenwyn jones instead of tevez every time and tevez will cost much more than jones and is nowhere near as effective.
Some good points in this post...... Very good!!!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
sweet fa said:
i would take kenwyn jones instead of tevez every time and tevez will cost much more than jones and is nowhere near as effective.
Really? :confused:

Tevez has played for Argentina in a World Cup, has scored Premier League goals against Liverpool and Chelsea, was our 2nd highest goal scorer last season and was involved in some brilliant link up play with both Rooney and Ronaldo. He can also take free-kicks and penalties so is another option for dead-ball situations when Ronaldo is not on the pitch.

Why do we need a 'big man' in the box? We did pretty well last season and the season before without one.

I am not entirely sure what Kenwyn Jones has done to make you feel he is such an effective player. Perhaps you can elaborate?

·
Banned
82 Posts
Tevez will be gone if a big enough club comes in for him !

Who could blame him with the way he has been treated !

The whole scenario is a major **** up IMO.

Tevez is a first choice Argentinian International, he cannot play a bit part on the bench.

To have 4 first team strikers in the squad you need 2 stars and 2 up and comings not 3 stars and a winger (ronaldo) who gets called a striker when it suits.

We needed two fast strikers/poachers to make up the 4 with Tevez and Rooney.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Its a squad game and he is a class act. We will need him big time this season
even if he doesnt play every game. He was so important in what we did last
season and we can never forget that. Sign him up permanant I say.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.