Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soruce: The Mirror

Manchester United will this week claim to be the best-supported club in the world with a staggering third of a billion fans.

The Reds say they have enough followers in all four corners of the globe to fill Old Trafford 4,380 times over - yet boss Alex Ferguson last week complained the crowd failed to get behind the team at home.

Their army of 333,000,000 is greater than the population of most countries, including the USA. With an estimated global population of 6.6billion, one in 20 of the planet's inhabitants follow United.

The statistics come from a poll conducted by TNS Sport and will be released later this week along with the club's financial results, which are expected to show a record turnover of £245million, restoring United to their position as Britain's wealthiest club.

Arsenal's turnover was £201m and Chelsea's is expected to be about the same.

Tns base their fan figure on interviews conducted with 1,000 people in 21 countries. It shows a huge jump in support for the club in just a few years. A 2003 MORI survey put the total at 75million.

Trading figures for the 12 months to June 30 are expected to show turnover up 21 per cent and profits from their title-winning campaign of about £75m.

The world's richest club are Real Madrid, who in September reported a turnover of £263m.

Amazing official statistics indeed... Wonder what will the Glazers think next?!

·
Banned
836 Posts
In my opinion, people who are called 'gloryhunters' or people who think they are, should be known as 'adopted fans', I think gloryhunter, is a little harsh for some people.
Manchester United is a global brand and the amount of fanbase we have in Asia is overwhelming.

The Sun also claims that United want David Beckham to become their global ambassador when he retires from playing. The Reds reportedly want him to take over the role now held by 70-year-old Sir Bobby Charlton. And the move will be given its blessing by Sir Alex Ferguson, who long ago patched up his differences with the player.

It's funny you know, because according to this, we have 75 million fans worldwide.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Amazing statistics indeed but when a sample survey of 1000 people has lead to an estimate of 333million then you have to question the margin for error!

They've basically asked 1000 people in 21 different countries whether they support United and 50 (1 in 20) of them have said 'yes'. From this they have estimated we have 333million fans?!?!?!

Not the most accurate way of working it out is it?

Even if I've misread that and they've actually surveyed 21000 people i.e. 1000 people in each country then that's still just 1050 people they have found that support United.

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be it "glory hunters" or "adopted fans", at least they still make their 'choice' wisely, instead of the Other Three. And will probably still advertise further for us through their purchases of merchandised goods.;)

Statistics will always remain statistics. Just an extrapolation of manageable and affordable sample data. No matter.

In Asia, extrapolating from my country, Singapore, I can confidently point out that the two biggest fan groups are us and Liverpool's. This is more due to traditions than glory hunting, I suspect. They were the 2 most well known bitter rivals then.[My first FA Cup Final in 1977 was between them and of course, we won with a solitary goal by Lou Macari, if I don't remember wrongly.] A distance behind would be the Other Two, followed by the others.

I am more curious what would the Glazers be thinking with this official or 'official' report. What could be up their sleeves? Hang on and refinance their loans cheaper or cash out to other consortiums?! Or most probably squeeze the fatter cow harder?! What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
true...........but i dont know many people i india who are glory hunters..u hav to be a genuine fan in india because here people r mostly cricket fanatics.......but now people r becomin fond of football!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
836 Posts
I wonder if some majority of United fans who are born and bred in Manchester dislike the fact that their are people supporting their club that don't even live in Manchester, for example, me?
It just makes me wonder at times, or do they like the fact that they have fans all over the country and world?

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
GeordieMancunian said:
I wonder if some majority of United fans who are born and bred in Manchester dislike the fact that their are people supporting their club that don't even live in Manchester, for example, me?
It just makes me wonder at times, or do they like the fact that they have fans all over the country and world?
Me too! (Blackburn Rovers are the closest Premier League team to me)

I know there are some season ticket holders that live outside Manchester, even as far as London and Ireland. Whilst some of these may simply have moved from Manchester I think that shows that people from outside Manchester can be just as (if not more) dedicated to the club.

I guess some 'true Mancs' won't like it but I think others are more interested in your dedication to the club rather than your geographic location. We hear a lot about tourists/day-trippers/corporates ruining the atmosphere and they are much more of a problem than someone like me who lives outside Manchester, only attends OT a few times each season but at least makes some noise when I go.

Even people who don't go to games, and there are obviously plenty of those all over the World, contribute by buying merchandise - which in turn pays players wages, maintains Old Trafford etc.

It's 'fans' rather than 'supporters' that get up my nose. The people who wear a United shirt as a status symbol rather than because they love the club or just check the paper for results so they can chat about 'their team' at work the following day are people who are not really supporters of the club, even though they claim to be fans.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
i dont care.......i am a united fan no matter where i live and who i am.........i just love to be a united fan forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
akash_reds said:
i dont care.......i am a united fan no matter where i live and who i am.........i just love to be a united fan forever!!!!!!!!!!!!
In my eyes, that makes you a United supporter ;)

I guess it's all about emotional attachment. I love United - feel joy when we win (go bloody mental when we score :D ), sadness when we lose and despair if it's an important loss.

I've loved United since I was a small child and will love United until the day I die.

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys, er..... nobody wants to touch on the Glazers?!

Speculate on their next move, praise them, mud-sling them or to whatever that is allowed here. No comments or emotions at all?:eek:

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
versa said:
Guys, er..... nobody wants to touch on the Glazers?!

Speculate on their next move, praise them, mud-sling them or to whatever that is allowed here. No comments or emotions at all?:eek:
The Glazers are in it for the money, not the football, and that has been obvious from the start.

This has its good and bad points.

The good thing is that this means they will want Man United to be successful because success = money so will spend money on players etc and they will want to pay off the loans and interest so that they have complete control over the club.

The bad thing is how they generate the cash to pay off the loans because it comes from the fans. Price increases and the cup ticket schemes have hit fans hard. Also, I'm not convinced that pre-season tours around the World don't have a negative impact on the team in terms of fitness.

When the Glazers took over it was a shock but i decided to wait and see what happened. In the short-term they have done everything I wanted them to - they have made money available to improve the squad and they have left Fergie and the coaching staff alone to run the team. However, the long-term future of the club is still a concern.

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
reddwarf said:
The Glazers are in it for the money, not the football, and that has been obvious from the start.

This has its good and bad points.

The good thing is that this means they will want Man United to be successful because success = money so will spend money on players etc and they will want to pay off the loans and interest so that they have complete control over the club.

The bad thing is how they generate the cash to pay off the loans because it comes from the fans. Price increases and the cup ticket schemes have hit fans hard. Also, I'm not convinced that pre-season tours around the World don't have a negative impact on the team in terms of fitness.

When the Glazers took over it was a shock but i decided to wait and see what happened. In the short-term they have done everything I wanted them to - they have made money available to improve the squad and they have left Fergie and the coaching staff alone to run the team. However, the long-term future of the club is still a concern.
:eek: You seem to have covered all grounds!??..

Yes, what they intend to do in future is subject to speculation and a grave concern for fans alike. Hang on and milk harder or cash out to another consortium like a piece of meat, nobody knows.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
David Gill revealed that of the 333m United followers around the World 139m are 'core supporters', whatever that means.

I'm guessing he's talking about people who put money into the club by buying merchandise.

·
Banned
836 Posts
reddwarf said:
David Gill revealed that of the 333m United followers around the World 139m are 'core supporters', whatever that means.

I'm guessing he's talking about people who put money into the club by buying merchandise.
I feel more of a United supporter and fan than I ever have been, by being a One United member, MUTV subscriber and when I'm in Manchester, I always go into the megastore and buy something, because I'm proud to wear the United badge, whether it be a hat, scarf, United kit or whatever.

Some United fans say that you shouldn't do that because you're just pouring money into Glazer pockets, but if you love your club so much, that doesn't really matter.
Everything you buy at the store is worth the money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts