Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Amazing statistics indeed but when a sample survey of 1000 people has lead to an estimate of 333million then you have to question the margin for error!

They've basically asked 1000 people in 21 different countries whether they support United and 50 (1 in 20) of them have said 'yes'. From this they have estimated we have 333million fans?!?!?!

Not the most accurate way of working it out is it?

Even if I've misread that and they've actually surveyed 21000 people i.e. 1000 people in each country then that's still just 1050 people they have found that support United.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
GeordieMancunian said:
I wonder if some majority of United fans who are born and bred in Manchester dislike the fact that their are people supporting their club that don't even live in Manchester, for example, me?
It just makes me wonder at times, or do they like the fact that they have fans all over the country and world?
Me too! (Blackburn Rovers are the closest Premier League team to me)

I know there are some season ticket holders that live outside Manchester, even as far as London and Ireland. Whilst some of these may simply have moved from Manchester I think that shows that people from outside Manchester can be just as (if not more) dedicated to the club.

I guess some 'true Mancs' won't like it but I think others are more interested in your dedication to the club rather than your geographic location. We hear a lot about tourists/day-trippers/corporates ruining the atmosphere and they are much more of a problem than someone like me who lives outside Manchester, only attends OT a few times each season but at least makes some noise when I go.

Even people who don't go to games, and there are obviously plenty of those all over the World, contribute by buying merchandise - which in turn pays players wages, maintains Old Trafford etc.

It's 'fans' rather than 'supporters' that get up my nose. The people who wear a United shirt as a status symbol rather than because they love the club or just check the paper for results so they can chat about 'their team' at work the following day are people who are not really supporters of the club, even though they claim to be fans.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
akash_reds said:
i dont care.......i am a united fan no matter where i live and who i am.........i just love to be a united fan forever!!!!!!!!!!!!
In my eyes, that makes you a United supporter ;)

I guess it's all about emotional attachment. I love United - feel joy when we win (go bloody mental when we score :D ), sadness when we lose and despair if it's an important loss.

I've loved United since I was a small child and will love United until the day I die.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
versa said:
Guys, er..... nobody wants to touch on the Glazers?!

Speculate on their next move, praise them, mud-sling them or to whatever that is allowed here. No comments or emotions at all?:eek:
The Glazers are in it for the money, not the football, and that has been obvious from the start.

This has its good and bad points.

The good thing is that this means they will want Man United to be successful because success = money so will spend money on players etc and they will want to pay off the loans and interest so that they have complete control over the club.

The bad thing is how they generate the cash to pay off the loans because it comes from the fans. Price increases and the cup ticket schemes have hit fans hard. Also, I'm not convinced that pre-season tours around the World don't have a negative impact on the team in terms of fitness.

When the Glazers took over it was a shock but i decided to wait and see what happened. In the short-term they have done everything I wanted them to - they have made money available to improve the squad and they have left Fergie and the coaching staff alone to run the team. However, the long-term future of the club is still a concern.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
David Gill revealed that of the 333m United followers around the World 139m are 'core supporters', whatever that means.

I'm guessing he's talking about people who put money into the club by buying merchandise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.