Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think having Cheerleaders would help match attendances at some games!

Take Middleboro' for example they claim they are not getting good attendances because some 60 pubs it is estimated show there games in the surrounding area of the Riverside stadium.

I know I am probably going to get some ranting that the real truth is ticket prices and fair enough. But would chair leaders before the match make the game far more interesting. Take a look at some American sports for example, they have cheerleaders.

So let me know your thoughts ........ :D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
a few grounds do have cheer leaders and there still empty i dont think it would make any difference what so ever, for example boro played newcastle the other week (local derby) and there stadium was still empty. also you have blackburn, wigan, bolton, who have half empty stadiums every week (unless we are in town)
do you think it's a coincedence that all these clubs are from the north of england? i dont people up north where unenployment is high just can't afford it

·
Registered
782 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Why is everyone always trying to Americanize everything?
It's just an idea how to get more people on the stadiums...but it could be also annoing for the old visitors and you need big amount of beautiful ladies, so it's just an american idea, nothing more.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Lawbreaker1944 said:
It's just an idea how to get more people on the stadiums...but it could be also annoing for the old visitors and you need big amount of beautiful ladies, so it's just an american idea, nothing more.
Nothing wrong with a load of beautiful ladies but maybe theres a time and a place?

·
Registered
782 Posts
In NFL, beautiful ladies is a local colour, which is just good. Something like NFL=beautiful ladies between quarters. It belongs there.

In european football there is no cheerleaders tradition, so it would be tough to make it.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
My brother supports Preston and I went to a game with him and they had cheerleaders at half-time. They all had their pom-poms and stood in the middle of the pitch. Then the music came on...and they didn't move. They just stood there for what seemed like ages and then one of them ran to the side of the pitch, spoke to someone and then ran to the centre again. The announcer came on, apologised for putting on the wrong music(!) and then put a Girls Aloud song on. All of a sudden the cheerleaders came to life, did quite an impressive routine and got a decent round of applause.

It's just a shame that most people missed it because they were busy getting a pie and a pint or going to the loo!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Lawbreaker1944 said:
In NFL, beautiful ladies is a local colour, which is just good. Something like NFL=beautiful ladies between quarters. It belongs there.

In european football there is no cheerleaders tradition, so it would be tough to make it.

I'm a big fan of American Football but cheerleaders (or some form of entertainment) are necessary because of the number of stoppages in the game.

A 1 hour (4 x 15 minute quarters) match usually takes 3 to 3.5 hours (unless it goes into overtime and can then take 4 hours!)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jazz 16 said:
Why is everyone always trying to Americanize everything?

Ok maybe it is very American, but I am not say we should all go American style, it was merely as suggestion because of recent reports from Middlesboro' and all the Ticket prices complaints.

·
Registered
782 Posts
reddwarf said:
I'm a big fan of American Football but cheerleaders (or some form of entertainment) are necessary because of the number of stoppages in the game.

A 1 hour (4 x 15 minute quarters) match usually takes 3 to 3.5 hours (unless it goes into overtime and can then take 4 hours!)
I like American football as well. When I see something like 100y run, I just scream:). My favourites teams are Oakland Raiders (when I was 9, I got their baseball cap and I just loved that face on it) and Miami Dolphins.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Lawbreaker1944 said:
I like American football as well. When I see something like 100y run, I just scream:). My favourites teams are Oakland Raiders (when I was 9, I got their baseball cap and I just loved that face on it) and Miami Dolphins.
i hate american sports
there all girly

basketball= netball
baseball=rounders
american football= rugby with pads

·
Registered
782 Posts
andycole9 said:
i hate american sports
there all girly

basketball= netball
baseball=rounders
american football= rugby with pads
It's simplified.
American football is very hard to learn, has very complicated rules and differs from rugby. I like them both - rugby is closer to me because of geographical position of the Czech Rep. But American football is something more than just a "brutal clone" of old european game called rugby.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts