Manchester United Talk banner

Does He Deserve It ... ?

824 views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  scott 4 evra 
#1 ·
Tomorrow's England fixture looks almost certain to be David Beckham's 100th
appearance for England - and his last one.

Fabio Capello looks like he won't deny the ex-United player any longer but does
Becks deserve to hit that magic number?

Cynics might suggest if he hadn't been sent off against Argentina in 1998 he
would already have reached the figure but that's pretty harsh.

On the other hand, he did almost single-handedly drag England into the 2002
World Cup with his performance against Greece.

A supreme dead-ball expert (except in penalty shoot outs) - and visionary passer,
Becks will probably be remembered as the leader of an England squad that
promised much and failed to deliver when it mattered.

An England legend ? No.

A great showman - certainly.

Now that he's plying his trade at a US circus - don't expect to see him in an
England shirt again after this.

Does Becks deserve his 100th cap and what will he be best remembered for?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hes NOT an England legend- Thats where your right.

Undoubtably he is a VERY GOOD Player- well used to be :)

He will probably be reknown for his quality crosses, and corners. And not to forget the Free-kicks :D\

I dont think Capello will involve beckham in the England squad after this match.

#7 ·
I think it would be damned cruel and extremely cynical to cap him just at 99 after what he has done for England all these years.:eek: And afterall, it is only a friendly game, a no-consequence match to hand out a big olive branch.

But with his constant injuries and below-par performances in rare appearances in the MLS, I don't think we would see much of him thereafter. Not with no-nonsense Capello anyway.

Finally, I always thought things would have been dramatically different for him and United if he has chosen otherwise... [Think you know what I mean.] ;) :(

#8 ·
carlyluvsunited said:
A great showman - certainly.

Does Becks deserve his 100th cap and what will he be best remembered for?
I'm not an England supporter as such but I think the question should be does England Deserve Him? England has plenty of talented players but let's be brutally honest most truly don't look like they truly want to be there. International football is a funny thing. You have to want it more then life itself and for all the raw desire and emotion the English players are capable of summoning up for their clubs I've always felt Beck's was the only one who felt like that for England. When you look at the players Gerrard and Lampard look like pale shadows of themselves as if they've had their mojo sucked out of them and hidden in their lockers pre match. They try all right but they seem almost washed out if you know what they're like for their clubs. Right now most English players probably feel than can win more with their club than their country conversely Beck's needs England far more than he needs LA Galaxy and for me that alone is reason enough for him to keep playing. Rooney is another one who plays his heart out a lot like Beck's. Must be a Manchester United thing. :)

#9 ·
Beckham is a fighter and a dedicated player. Of course he deserves his 100 caps and I'm sure he will play tomorrow.

But the question is, will he continue on and be a part of Capello's long term plans. Capello actually said in a recent interview that if Beckham stays fully fit and continues to work hard, he could be still with England for 2010.

Who knows. But definitely, as Tony Livesly said on Inside Sport last night, Bentley needs to have to fight for his place and to earn it. Who better to learn and earn his place from that Becks.

#10 ·
What makes you think this will be Beckham's last game for England?

Capello doesn't seem to be the sentimental type to me and I think that if Beckham plays well against France and maintains his fitness he could be involved in our World Cup qualifiers.

Beckham has plenty of knockers for the media circus, his showbiz lifestyle and his failure to lead England to glory when he was captain...but I'm not one of them.

Perhaps this is my Man United bias coming through but I don't think some people realise just how good Beckham is. I wouldn't describe him as an England 'legend' and he's certainly well past his peak now but I still think he's one of the best players this country has ever produced.

People always comment that he's got no left foot, can't dribble, always goes for 'Hollywood' balls, can't tackle etc. They seem to think all he's good for is his delivery from dead balls but I think that is total rubbish. I've seen Beckham create goals with his left foot, I've seen him dribble past defenders, I've seen him track back and tackle, I've seen him score from open play and I've seen him play short, simple passes.

Sometimes I think people just believe whatever the media tells them to believe.

#11 ·
ok i'm irish but this is what i tink of the situation. I tink Becks is a legend he was a fantastic player for us. i mean that treble season it was him that made cole and yorke so good. he more than anyone on the english side for many years has shown more passion and commitment than any1.

However, I tink there are 2 reasons why this shud be his lst game.

1. The quality of football that he has played in America isn't good enough. The standard is poor and he may not be up to international standards at this stage of his career.

2. The attention on him his far too much when there is an England match. The top story is always about whether Beckham will be captain, starting, 100 caps etc. I tink it wud be gud for the international team to leave the Beckham media circus and concentrate on the future.

I say give him his 100 caps and move on. I feel there are good enough replacements at this moment in time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.