Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Yes he does, but only if he starts playing much better than he has recently and earns his place in the team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
acazzer said:
does ryan giggs deserve to be the all time appearance holder for united?
Manchester United (1990-present)

FA Premier League - Champion (9): 1992-93, 1993-94, 1995-96, 1996-97, 1998-99, 1999-00, 2000-01, 2002-03, 2006-07
FA Premier League - Runner Up: 1994-95, 1997-98, 2005-06
FA Youth Cup Winner: 1992
FA Cup Winner (4): 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004
FA Cup Runner Up: 1995, 2005, 2007
League Cup Winner (2): 1992, 2006
League Cup Runner Up: 1994, 2003
Community Shield Winner (6): 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007
Community Shield Runner Up: 1998, 2000, 2001, 2004
UEFA Champions League Winner: 1998-99
UEFA Super Cup Winner: 1991
UEFA Super Cup Runner Up: 1999
Intercontinental Cup: 1999


Now, does Ryan Giggs deserve to be the all time appearance holder for united ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
Keano's fan said:
Manchester United (1990-present)

FA Premier League - Champion (9): 1992-93, 1993-94, 1995-96, 1996-97, 1998-99, 1999-00, 2000-01, 2002-03, 2006-07
FA Premier League - Runner Up: 1994-95, 1997-98, 2005-06
FA Youth Cup Winner: 1992
FA Cup Winner (4): 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004
FA Cup Runner Up: 1995, 2005, 2007
League Cup Winner (2): 1992, 2006
League Cup Runner Up: 1994, 2003
Community Shield Winner (6): 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007
Community Shield Runner Up: 1998, 2000, 2001, 2004
UEFA Champions League Winner: 1998-99
UEFA Super Cup Winner: 1991
UEFA Super Cup Runner Up: 1999
Intercontinental Cup: 1999


Now, does Ryan Giggs deserve to be the all time appearance holder for united ?
Couldnt have put it better myself ;)
Anyone that actually says he doesn't deserve it isnt a true fan in my eyes.
Forget his form this season and look at the whole picture.
For people with short memories....he got in the team of the season for the whole Premiership just last season.
He has been terrorising defences for longer than some of you are alive.
Giggs deserves this record but most of all this legend deserves our respect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Ofcourse he deserves a chance again, because we all know what he can do. But on the other hand i think uniteds play gets faster when Nani/Andersson comes in..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,929 Posts
For a player to still be capable of competing at
this level, at his age is remarkable! He deserves
the record 100%, and I'm sure Mr. Charlton, wouldn't
disagree either!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
But still i wonder how you can say that he NEEDS a new chance because he won all those tournaments back in the days?, it's just to see the facts that out wonderkid is getting old and he cant perform like he did, he still have something left, i can assure you of that but a player like Nani need to be filled in the gap of Giggs a little bit sooner then yesterday against Lyon.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,929 Posts
You can even see in Fergies team selection's nowadays, that he is using Gigggsy,
sparingly and giving the yonuger players a chance. There's a good mix, old and
young, so hopefully the likes of Nani, and Anderson will take some huge leaves
out of Giggsy and Scholes books. If they become half the players Giggs and
Scholes were, it'll be good business and TBH, Anderson looks like he could be a
star in the making. Nani is still learining and needs to keep his feet on the
ground.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
To say he has won 10 billion trophies so he deserves it is nonsense !

A record like this is earned on merit ...

You break the record if you are good enough to play for that amount of time ...

It's not based on ANYTHING else !

Sure Giggs is, and will always be a legend ....

But nowhere near as big a legend as the current record holder is ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
To say he has won 10 billion trophies so he deserves it is nonsense !

A record like this is earned on merit ...

You break the record if you are good enough to play for that amount of time ...

It's not based on ANYTHING else !

Sure Giggs is, and will always be a legend ....

But nowhere near as big a legend as the current record holder is ...
based on what ? a drop in form in the past couple of months ? Is that enough to erase 17 years of great service by him ?

Its easy to say that a player who played in an era you never lived is better than a current one. You've seen Giggs on good days and on bad days whereas you only hear the good things about our past legends. You probably dont know that in his Sir Bobbys early career he was deemed too slow and that he stalled us in many ways. Some even claimed that he only made his name off munich. He played out wide many times and he was average there by his own admission, and Giggs get attacked for putting in an average perfomance playing up front. Many also feel that Sir bobby was a shadow of te player he was in the last couple of years of his career as well, the same could be said about George Best. Now why are they held on a higher level than Giggs ? Is it because we havent seen a full match of them let alone a poor one ?

You know whats nonsense Carly ? Its the short memories some people have. In his 17 years career, This is only Ryans second major dip in form after the high profile one of 2002. Are you telling me that Sir Bobby, Best, Law and Cantona never suffered dips in form ? Why is Bobby Charlton a bigger legend than Giggs ? Give me a logical explanation. I believe that if you searched our 130 years of history, you wouldnt find a player more worthy to carry such honor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
I really don't think he should start if he got a dip in his form, he can fight the form back on practice. If we face a mid team it woudlnt matter if we started with Giggsy, but when we're facing a hungry Lyon i would prefer Nani over Giggs that day. BUT i would choose Giggs in the 20 last minutes in a Champions League final.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I agree Giggs has been a Legend for us but you can see he has lost his pace and the amount of times he lost possesion last night was beyond belief, this should be his final season....He wasn't good either last season, us winning the league covered his performances up somewhat.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
kbucka said:
I agree Giggs has been a Legend for us but you can see he has lost his pace and the amount of times he lost possesion last night was beyond belief, this should be his final season....He wasn't good either last season, us winning the league covered his performances up somewhat.....
Check the title, you're in the wrong thread. If you wanna discuss his current performances there are other threads for that.

Oh and he wasnt good las season you reckon ? Is that why he was included in the team of the year and in the PFA shortlist of player of he year ? Must be ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Keano's fan said:
based on what ? a drop in form in the past couple of months ? Is that enough to erase 17 years of great service by him ?

Its easy to say that a player who played in an era you never lived is better than a current one. You've seen Giggs on good days and on bad days whereas you only hear the good things about our past legends. You probably dont know that in his Sir Bobbys early career he was deemed too slow and that he stalled us in many ways. Some even claimed that he only made his name off munich. He played out wide many times and he was average there by his own admission, and Giggs get attacked for putting in an average perfomance playing up front. Many also feel that Sir bobby was a shadow of te player he was in the last couple of years of his career as well, the same could be said about George Best. Now why are they held on a higher level than Giggs ? Is it because we havent seen a full match of them let alone a poor one ?

You know whats nonsense Carly ? Its the short memories some people have. In his 17 years career, This is only Ryans second major dip in form after the high profile one of 2002. Are you telling me that Sir Bobby, Best, Law and Cantona never suffered dips in form ? Why is Bobby Charlton a bigger legend than Giggs ? Give me a logical explanation. I believe that if you searched our 130 years of history, you wouldnt find a player more worthy to carry such honor.
I have to take my hat off to giggs and the great servant he has been for Manchester united. if he manages to break Charlton's record yes he fully deserves it particularly in this day and age of mercenary footballers whose only loyalty is to their wage packet. How he has kept the hunger and drive going for so long is somrthing to marvel at and shows what a humble and nice guy that he genuinely seems to be.

As for him being considered a great player for Man united I would stop short of putting him in that category alongside such luminaries as Keane,Robson,scholes,cantona,Law,best and Charlton.In relation to the latter he happens to be our record goalscorer with 298 goals from midfield compared with 142 for Giggs. He was European footballer of the year in 1966 and is also England's record goalscorer with 49 goals. By common consent he is considered one of the greatest players to have played the g.ame. Ok I wasnt around to see him play but the other great players I've mentioned in my era in the 80's and 90'shave one thing in common- they produced consistently great performances throughout their united careers. Giggs has conjured moments of magic eg cup semi goal vs arsenal in 1999 but not enough fantastic match winning displays to be considered a truly great player.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Superb comment ''keanos fan'' absoloutly phenomonal talent....put it this way...we wont see another players as gpod/loyal/consistent for another 100 years! If ever!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
Fergaiste said:
As for him being considered a great player for Man united I would stop short of putting him in that category alongside such luminaries as Keane,Robson,scholes,cantona,Law,best and Charlton.In relation to the latter he happens to be our record goalscorer with 298 goals from midfield compared with 142 for Giggs. He was European footballer of the year in 1966 and is also England's record goalscorer with 49 goals
Which like I said makes Charlton slightly more of a legend than Giggs ...

But it's just my opinion !

The statistics speak for themselves surely ... ;)
 

·
He wipes front to back
Joined
·
27,655 Posts
giggsy is a stone cold legend .
even if he doesnt deserve it in his last season sir alex will make sure he gets it for all his work over his career . odd sub spots etc will make up the last few i reckon and his testimonial game on going will be rammed .

if it were not for his dodgy hamstring he would have sewn it up already
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top