Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The team Alex McLeish inherited from Walter Smith in January were 1-0 winners over France back in October in a stunning Euro 2008 qualifying Group B result.

France, along with their conquerors in last year's World Cup final, Italy, were expected to qualify with relative ease for next year's tournament in Austria and Switzerland.

But Scotland's surprise win put them firmly in the frame for a top-two spot and it was an outcome which seemed to leave Domenech rattled.

He made particular reference to the speed at which the home ball-boys returned the ball to the field of play.

The Scottish Football Association were ultimately warned by UEFA over the incident.

Domenech is no stranger to controversy - he served a one-match touchline ban in Saturday's 0-0 draw with Italy after making disparaging comments about Italian football - but he was keen to emphasise he had not criticised McLeish's team.

He said: "I never said Scotland do not play well. They are a clever team.

"The Scots are dangerous, they played well - very well - but I was just surprised by the way they played last year against France.

"Scottish players are playing in very good English teams.

"I would like to say congratulations for the last match. They did what they had to do to beat us last year.

"I do not understand who said I thought Scotland a bad team."

With France still facing a trip to Kiev to play Ukraine, Domenech is not underestimating the importance of the Scotland game.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts