Manchester United Talk banner

DONI ( AS ROMA goalkeeper) - what the hell was that all about ?!

3K views 72 replies 15 participants last post by  Nachito Coronel 
Tbf, Arsenal were missing alot of players. They done really well to even get the tie to penalities. But Arsenal being able to do this should just how far backwards Italian football has gone. It's turned into a retirement home for players. The average ages of the squads are frightening. There is no money available. it's hard to see how Serie A will ever be a major player in the European scene again. Roma are a shocking side.

Do you watch much Italian football? Roma are the only team I like in Serie A. They play quality attacking football and have some excellent players like De Rossi(25), Vucinic(25), Baptista(27), Mexez(26) etc etc. A lot of Italian clubs do have older players, but Roma has a lot of great players in the prime of their careers and can hardly be put in the same 'retirement' bracket as Milan or Juventus. I'd say we've probably got more 'old' players than them to be honest.
Look at there starting line-up last night.

Tonetto-34
Juan-30
Rodrigo Taddei-29
David Pizarro-29
Totti-32.

Then on the bench-
Loria-32
Montella-34.

With Panucci and Cassetti we certainly don't have as many old players as them. No fecking chance. there is no way Sir Alex, if he was in charge would have let the clubs have so many players of that age. It's because the tempo of the elague is alot slower than the Premiership. Those old player can't cope. Roma never go anywhere in Europe and I think it's fair after the build up they get to label them an old squad.

Inter are another older squad. That's my point about it being a retirement league. they can get away with it in teh Serie A but when it reaches Europe they just don't have the legs anymore.

It's still pretty old and strange to be putting it out against a youthful Arsenal team, no?

Have you ever watched them play Pete? They're a quality team who play stylish football. They're not even close to being 'shocking'.
In Europe they are. Do you realise how far backwards the Serie A is gone? It's no longer teh league is was The tempo is shocking. Hence why Roma always getting a hiding in the knockout stages. Remember 7-1? Alot of that squad is still there.

i agree with zuco there for sure not a shocking team although i only saw the extra time of that game last night but both teams were 'shocking' im not to sure if it was just the nerves or tiredness or a mixture of both but it really was some tiresome football to watch
Arsenal have a reason. Their midfield was Denilson and diaby ffs. Eboue was playing too. What's Roma's?

im not to sure really there talisman in totti had a massive strap on his knee and for some reason roma decided to turn into a long ball team, which might i add there not, i think tiredness and nerves set in and roma just played out for peno's
But he was still on the pitch? Where as Arsenal's talisman in Fabregas(who in my eyes is better than Totti) wasn't. Totti was very good last night from what I saw. He's highly overrated though, not near as good as people make him out to be.

thats true about totti but in rome hes loved and i think it might of nocked the team back slightly, and yes fabregas is better than totti but id say totti is more of a striker were fabregas is a centre mid/ attacking mid and yeah i know totti can play both but not as effective as fabregas.

i think all in all it was a really weak extra time and poor football by two teams who are touted as playing beautiful football, well it wasnt evident there to be honest
Ok then Adebayor was also missing for Arsenal, he's a striker. He's key for them. Same as Rosicky. Arsenal missed alot of their players. Those who help them to play the beautiful way they like. Arshavin was also cup tied.

Arsenal are a better side than Roma in my eyes. I'm happy to see them get through. Makes for a strong competition. Roma were going out next round anyway.

yeah i agree with the statements about adebayor and rosicky, and arsenal are the better team for sure but i just couldnt agree with roma being 'shocking'
They are in comparsion to their counterparts in Europe. It's as simple as. Shows my opinion of Italy being a retirement league when they do so well in Italy.

No Italian team in the quater finals either btw.:police:

Totti actually has a better goal to game ratio.

You're 'punishing' Totti for staying at the club he loves. The players around them should be taken into account when comparing the two.
Why?

It's fairly obvious Totti is a better passer but Del Piero is a more complete player. He can pass, dribble, beat men. Totti cannot do that.

Anyone that thinks Totti is better than del piero clearly hasn't a clue.

Del Piero was also Totti's towel boy during the World Cup, you know, the BIGGEST STAGE.:rolleyes:
Towel boy? Where the hell are you from that you get that 'lingo'.

Totti wasn't younger or fitted into the side more for his passing by any chance. Did Totti get talking off after an hour btw in the final for wait for it the mighty Iaquinta. He once again done it on the big stage.:rolleyes: del Piero has never won anything either. ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.