Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't Use The Term ManU

11K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Richie 
#1 ·
OK, obviously nobody or almost nobody know history of that term ManU.

For all newcomers, please read!

I've just found it on www.manutd.com:

ManU is not a term United fans refer to themselves as. The term is only used by other supporters as a complete and utter insult to our club. The "u" is meant to be "you" by the rival fans.

An early example of its usage is this chant by West Brom fans: "Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, man you are manure- rotting in your grave". The origin of "ManU" is a song to insult the dead Duncan Edwards.

Liverpool and Leeds fans copied this with their own man you /u versions to insult all of the lads who died at munich.

"ManU ManU went on a plane ManU ManU never came back again"

and..

"ManU Never Intended Coming Home" (if you combine the capital letters you get the word "munich").

I hope this makes it clearer that saying ManU is an insult, particularly to the older supporters and to see United fans using it now is shameful. I hope a few might read this, understand and spread the word.

#7 ·
I haven't even been a member long and I've seen this thread countless time. Funny how almost every time the people who are bothered about this terminology are from outside of England. Most real United fans just don't care, it obviously isn't being used in that context now so what difference does it make.

#9 ·
Richie said:
I haven't even been a member long and I've seen this thread countless time. Funny how almost every time the people who are bothered about this terminology are from outside of England. Most real United fans just don't care, it obviously isn't being used in that context now so what difference does it make.
To be honest I don't care how they call us but it's a part of our history.

Is the term "Man United" also an insult just because Oasis sing "Who The F@ck Are Man Utd?" No, it isn't.

I think it should every true Red Devil know.

#11 ·
Richie said:
A lot of people on the forums of the official manchester united website from manchester give newbys hell if they use the term it just bothers some and not others, united fans who do you use it dont mean it in a bad way so i never question anyone about it if i did i'd be there all day

#12 ·
ayrton-senna3 said:
To be honest I don't care how they call us but it's a part of our history.

Is the term "Man United" also an insult just because Oasis sing "Who The F@ck Are Man Utd?" No, it isn't.

I think it should every true Red Devil know.

Whaaat?! You've just disproved your own point! If Man United isn't an insult just because someone used it in a bad light, neither is Man U!

#14 ·
Oh man... not another one of these.

There are at least two other threads on this. One started by CROoney, the other I can't remember.

It's only on the internet that your read this.

If Gary Pallister and long-time Manchester United supporters from Manchester can say Man U, we can all say Man U.

I don't say it, cos it sounds like manure or menu, but i have no problems with people using this.

This is over-exaggerated BS.

If rival fans starting sing a hate song about the Munich disaster and make fun of the word "United", are we supposed to stop referring to the club as United?

#15 ·
ayrton-senna3 said:
I think every supporter should know the history of that term. For me personally, it isn't a bad term, it's just for everybody's knowledge about Man Utd.
Oh okay sorry then I misunderstood the point of your thread. If you were just educating people on the history of the term i have no problems with it at all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.