Manchester United Talk banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
one more things friends

WHEN THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY

fergie use this line not like cheski using money only and trying to get the title lol well me i know next year in may i will celebrate again lol

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
stretty said:
well its good that most people do agree with me that we wont win the league , having said that i thought we wouldnt win it last year and look what happened.
dont get me wrong i never panic after just one game , i have been following football for too long for that i know when we get all our players back we will be okay as long as we are not too far off the pace.
i just feel chelski will not lose too many games this season.
we do not have the divine right to win the league every year .
to right but neather do chelski nor the arse (we can right off the pool :p )its really up to the runs these clubs put together all 3 clubs wont loose many matches but its the runs they can put togehter and we all know united can hve some awsome runs, plus were still on for a unbeaten season cant complane there :p

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
my take is this . i think we will be within 5 points of chelsea at season end but i fear it will be behind . i think fa cup will be ours and a good showing in cl if we sign a striker . rooney is no good as a striker on his own and ronaldo will barely make 20 goals this year even allowing for pens

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't understand why we cannot win the league again, remember last summer we bought anderson, nani and hargreaves, they will all be fit and ready to play this week. The thing that people forget is that anderson and nani have that knowledge and experience in the prem now. We saw some of it which was impressive last season and i think this season it will be more better from anderson and nani, they will understand how to better themselves. We have hargreaves who is widely experienced in prem as his showed he really has the class event at 60% fitness and in ucl he has the experience, not to forget we have scholes, giggs, carrick, ronaldo. The defense is strong to, i think we are still shaky on set pieces but who isnt, we need to improve but our defensive performance in play is strong, (i dont think we should have sold silvestre, but i think because the da silva twins have merged, mabe thats why silvestre has gone). We have the da silva twins that can add some creativity and flair, can play midfield, or defense, good squad members, also future stars.

I think people are getting a bit anxious because we havnt signed anyone, yeah i feel we still need an attacker for more options upfront, but i still think we have as much chance as any other team in the prem.

I still havent mentioned rooney, tevez, saha(when he get back), campbell, but like fergy said we need that extra experience attacker. We have a good squad now that has played a season or more with each other dont forget.

With or without a signing we have enough.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
versa said:
And as our Mr Positive, RFR, so rightly pointed out, we should be excited that there are so many exciting youngsters waiting in the wings to break through and break out. Some remain with us and some are out on loan for further exposure. It would also be the very first time since the famous Fergie's Fledgings in the early 90s that we are having such a good core group of really promising stars that only bodes well for us in the future.

So do I sound like I have thrown in the towel? Nah, far from it.

I am expecting the same resilient and reliable defence, bigger performances in the midfield, especially from last year's signings of Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves, and a major striker to be eventually brought in to complement Tevez and Rooney, and hopefully Manucho too. And last but not least, our top scorer, Not Slave, will be returning in September if the commentator for the Newscastle game was truly right about that.

And if all else still fail, I do have a last resort. Just go to the Don't Panic thread and read it from start to end...

So don't.... don't.. panic.

LOL, my brother. That is my legacy on this forum. Mr. Positive. Well, in Christ all things are possible. ;)

I have another reason why we should look forward to this season. Even IF this season turns out to be a barren one, at the end of it, we willbe rid of the glory hunters and you will know whaich of your friends or posters are truly red or dead!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
haggler said:
my take is this . i think we will be within 5 points of chelsea at season end but i fear it will be behind . i think fa cup will be ours and a good showing in cl if we sign a striker . rooney is no good as a striker on his own and ronaldo will barely make 20 goals this year even allowing for pens
my sentiments entirely mr haggler

·
Registered
104 Posts
I cant even be bothered to read through all of this but what I want to know is -

WHY ALL THESE DEPRESSING THREADS! :confused:

We've played 1 game so far.

1 game

Get behind the team and cheer them on for the season ahead.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Keano016 said:
I cant even be bothered to read through all of this but what I want to know is -

1 game

I see your point and usually Id be right behind you.....(this happened last season
and in 92) but Stretty makes some valid points. Of course we are confident in
doing well and winning some trophies but we need to be realistic. Chelsea
are a massive force and we wont just roll them over each time.

Im in both camps on this one and on this forum we all have a say so carry on
moaning or giving out about the moaners :p Your choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stop giving them so much credit, their lineup always looks strong, Deco will not last the season at such high intensity playing two or three games a week. Drogba in my eyes has just past his best, lampard didnt impress me last year either.
At chelsea its all about $$$, at manutd at least there is heart.......thats what made the difference last year, we had the unity and team spirit. Yes they came close but stop giving them so much credit! Half their team wanted to leave, now when the cheque book comes out they all change their minds. Players this fickle will always shoot themselves in the foot as we have seen the last few years.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
We've got a slow start, and we might turn it around against Pompey, you never know.

There's a lot of injuries so it's going to be tough, but we usually have a good Christmas run-in which is when the true strength of our squad will be revealed.

You must remember that Chelsea will go on a bad run at some point, they're excellent at home, but Arsenal and United can certainly take points off of them. Then there's their bogie team as it seems to be in recent seasons- Middlesbrough.

As of now, with our injuries, I'd say Chelsea are favourites for the Premiership.

There's of course the Champion's League, which is open right now in my opinion. I can honestly see a repeat of last season's final. Since Madrid have been poor in Europe in recent seasons, and Chelsea never seem to be able to make the final hurdle.

As someone said earlier, it will be an exciting season regardless, with all the exciting youngsters blossoming with the experienced ones.

Anyway, just don't panic!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I see your point and usually Id be right behind you.....(this happened last season
and in 92) but Stretty makes some valid points. Of course we are confident in
doing well and winning some trophies but we need to be realistic. Chelsea
are a massive force and we wont just roll them over each time.

Im in both camps on this one and on this forum we all have a say so carry on
moaning or giving out about the moaners :p Your choice.
Chelsea are a massive force becase they have a strong team on paper. We have been the best defensie team for the past two years and the best attacking team for the past two years.

Nothing has changed in terms of the personel in the team if only we can expect the newer ones to get better. I can agree if you say the hunger would be the deciding factor but if the team on paper is better or they had a very good opening game then in plain simple words its crap.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Keano016 said:

1 game

we are right behind the team and fergie mate , the season tickets are renewed and its not panic stations after one game .
all that most people are saying is we cannot win the league every year, that is impossible , and this could be one of the seasons where we just fall short by a few points.
i suppose the present day supporter has only known success and winning ,and expects a trophy every year , whereas "slightly" older people like myself are used to trophyless years and accept it.
also its not depressing , following united could never be depressing its called reallity , i will still be at every home game singing my heart out

·
Registered
104 Posts
stretty said:
we are right behind the team and fergie mate , the season tickets are renewed and its not panic stations after one game .
all that most people are saying is we cannot win the league every year, that is impossible , and this could be one of the seasons where we just fall short by a few points.
i suppose the present day supporter has only known success and winning ,and expects a trophy every year , whereas "slightly" older people like myself are used to trophyless years and accept it.
also its not depressing , following united could never be depressing its called reallity , i will still be at every home game singing my heart out
Yeah, we cant win the league every year, football wouldnt be as good if we did.

Why question the team and our capabilites of winning the league after one game. Would you have said the same thing if we'd have beat Newcastle? Yes we've got some hard games coming up, Pompey away is a difficult one and then the games at Chelski and Livepewl. The next game after Pompey though is not until the 13/09 which is a 2 week break, we could have some, if not most of the players back from injury.

If we can keep Tevez and Rooney fit and Fergie plays them upfront together in a 4-4-2 formation we are untouchable.

I think we've got the best fixtures as in we play "the big 3" away first, The 2nd half of the season is always key for us.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Nah can't agree. We will win the premier league this year, is everyone forgetting we were missing tevez for the first game have got two brazilians who are awesome and nani suspended, ronaldo injured, park injured, carrick and hargreaves injured. Once there all back you'll see united back to there best. I predict an absolute rooting at fratton park :D

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
stretty said:
As many of you have probably realised i do not feel too optimistic about this season ,i have been told by all my fellow united fans not to worry and we will have another great season.
I wish i could share their belief , but i do not.
I think to win the league three in row is a rare achievement even though we have done it once in our history, and to win the champions league two years running is a bigger ask .
In my opinion fergie has left it too late to buy new players and bed them in to make a realistic challenge for the league.
The thing is you cannot win every thing every year and you have to have a couple of barren years in between and i feel this will be one .
I would like to hear the reasons from the other fans on the forums on why i should be happy and really optimistic for this season and what they think we will realalisically win , not just hope what we will win
I understand your fears and share some of them. The late hunt for a striker if that's what he felt we needed. I've been trying to find the reasons and I still wonder whether we got the money to buy if defending the titles is so important. Why not cough up the missing 5 and he got his man and would have got time to make him adjust to the team and give the team peace and time to focus on the upcoming season.

I guess I'm alone thinking Chelsea don't have a much better squad then us. As I see it its Deco and Essien and maybe a fit and hungry Drogba that separates us but they have no s7ave and no Rooney and a fit Tevez. Let's hope our line have more impact of the team then the Chelsea line. The only advantage I give Chelsea this season over us is the hunger to win since they came close in three titles. But you can turn that around, if anyone can motivate the players to not lose the hunger to win that man is Ferguson.

Yes Chelsea had a few injuries, African Nations Cup and a new manager coming. But the new manager coming; remember Moaninho didn't win the league the season before and he didn't reach the CL-final either. So how much did the ‘loss' of Jose really mean to the team? In start of the league maybe but rather soon they got back on the winning track again. Injuries are a part of the game. Who knows, maybe Chelsea will have more and longer injuries this season. Maybe we're having a season full of injuries. We had our share of injuries too last season even though Ronaldo amazingly always were ready to play.

I hear often how we should give the young guys a chance and offload some of the senior players. Now is the perfect time to see if the wings on the young players will carry us to another league win and maybe even European club glory. I think we got players with special talent in Nani and Anderson. Maybe they are not ready yet to carry the team but around them there are a lot of experienced players who'll help them. Its crunch time for those two to show they are worth the transfer fee. I think they got what it takes thinking of what they've achieved in their first season is maybe the best league in Europe.

The Champions League, I don't think Chelsea will be our worst contender. I think the biggest threat comes from Spain. Look at the squads of Barcelona. They got rid of Ronaldinho who were more of a problem then an asset last season. Real Madrid have too made a few interesting signings. Their Dutch colony looks interesting and to that they got a couple of great Spanish players along with some young promising South Americans.
So don't look at the Bridge to get scared, look in La Liga.

And my non-united friends think we are a bunch of cry babies when we say we need a striker else we can't defend out titles. And in a way I agree with them because we have a great squad and no teams in England have a better one. Let's hope we get 100% out of them this season too.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's funny how quickly people forget the details of the match.

How many key (and lucky header) saves did Given have to make to force us into the draw? He's a top keeper, that's for sure, but we were just unlucky to get the 3 points. As long as there are chances, I feel we can make this season. If we're averaging 3 shots a game, then we panic...

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Well said....

Wonder what reactions will be if Chel$ski loode/draw and we win on monday...? Eh?

Heads up for God's sake.....its not as if we played badly against Newcastle either
now is it?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts