Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing concrete so I wouldn't worry but there's a rumor on Goal.com that SAF is interested in bringing young Gremio midfielder Douglas Costa to Old Trafford.

Gremio are asking somewhere around £20 million for Costa. A high price indeed considering he's untested in Europe.

More worryingly Tevez's deal is set to expire at the end of this season, from memory. Tevez's asking price is somewhere in excess of £30, right?

So the upshot of all this is that if SAF is truly set on bringing Costa to Old Trafford we will probably lack the funds to secure Tevez on a permanent deal.

Does anybody else oppose this idea? I haven't seen much of Costa but I found a brief video & it hardly suggests he's a superstar in the making.

Video below & Here's the link: http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=908122

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
just because the tevez deal isn't done yet think a lot of people are creating rumours to create headlines......tevez is fantastic and a major asset , can see with rooney and berba that he may be seen as surplus in some quarters-but not by united fans. we need forward especially ones who are so adaptable and work hard and if we didn't seal the loan deal we would still have to buy another forward.

he will be signed permanantly and as usual cash will be made available for other signings.......despite the glazer regime getting a lot of justified stick, to be fair they have never hampered SAF transfers and cash has always been there...even with the credit crunch the deals will be sealed and new blood will also arrive.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
It was stated, a few weeks ago, by Man Utd themselves, that the Tevez deal would not be discussed until around November time. The problems West Ham face have nothing to do with United, or the deal. What United are going to sort out is that they want to buy Tevez out of any contractual arrangements he may be in, and he become, solely, a United player. The problems between Sheffield and West Ham do not come into any agreement. As for rumours, believe nothing. And, this is not the section for transfer speculation.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Tbh the biggest looser in the Berbatov deal has been Carlos Tevez. He is now relegated to a substitute as S.A.F prefers Rooney to partner Berbatov. Even if S.A.F has the funds to bring in Tevez, would you want us to pay 32 million for a substitute? Will Tevez be happy being a substitute? He's too good to take on the Ole role.

I love Tevez and would like him to stay. But not for 32 million. For about 15 million we can get a decent striker who won't mind being a third choice striker. Then for the remaining 15 million, we can solve our current midfield crisis or get a backup winger.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Tevez is a devoted player...a great professional player and he's a great part of Man Utd...he has done great things last year...and I'm realy dissapointed that we don't have a tactic to includ him as well in the first 11..it's a real waste unfortunately...i hope he doesn't leave...i would realy be much more upset if he would leave rather than Ronaldo...so..i hope the Man Utd board will think before do anything stupid

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
its from goal.com duh they say the opposite thing

it would be the biggest mistake ever if we don't perm Tevez as he deserves every penny of the 30m we are paying for him
i think Tevez is a positive sub as he have been playing his heart out every match he plays even when comes from the bench he gives 100% so he works as a sub and i think he don't mind it (being a sub) as this will give him a reason to work harder and try to prove that hes the best and compete with Rooney and Berba for the first team sheat as this will make our players more competitive and put more efforts in training

for me know i would pick Rooney ahead of Tevez cuz Wazza is the better man but i think Fergie should think about dropping out of form and fitness Berbatov :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I once used to think that Tevez was too similar to Rooney - but having two Rooneys is not a bad thing is it? :)

Tevez is such a hard-working team player that he has dropped very deep, just like Rooney, because of fergie's instructions. This has led to a decrease in goals, which in one interview Tevez felt was a reason his move had not been made permanent yet.

during the summer and then again the day after the Berbatov deal was done, David Gill said the next order of business was to finalize the Tevez deal. Now, unfortunately for Tevez, several countries are facing up to tough economic times, because of the credit crunch and a lot of people will lose jobs. This will eventually effect football too.

If we're lucky it will drive Tevez' price tag down, if we're not, he'll move on, because we won't be able to afford it.

However, I would love for him to stay. I don't care if he costs us 30+ million in fees and wages. He's a warrior and Rooney tends to get niggling injuries and when you play 50+ matches a season like Man Utd do, you need three world-class strikers.

We MUST keep Tevez and all 3 strikers will get plenty of games to earn their dosh.

Especially if Fergie keeps playing the same system as against Blackburn, Tevez can always play as an attacking mid behind Berba.

Berbatov

Ronaldo - - Tevez - - Rooney

Anderson - Carrick

Evra - Vidic - Ferdinand - Brown

VDS/Foster​

LOOK AT THAT!

I mean, really look at that. It's so beautiful, I could almost cry.
I'm an idiot when it comes to art. I got to museums and everything looks like dog **** on canvases to me, but i see a tactics schema and I a reduced to tears.

It's beautiful and we must keep Tevez.

Douglas Costa can always be a summer signing. Or if Fergie just kicks Anderson's increasingly fat butt, so he fulfils his potential, we might not even need a Douglas Costa! :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
http://tribalfootball.com/?q=content/man-utd-scout-stam-saw-gremio-star-douglas-costa-action

Man Utd scout Stam saw Gremio star Douglas Costa in action
11.10.08 | tribalfootball.com

Manchester United scout Jaap Stam made a check on Gremio starlet Douglas Costa during the week.

Stam has denied he was at Gremio's clash with Santos with the purpose of seeing the 17 year-old attacking midfielder in action, but United have been linked with the youngster.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/66251-video-evidence-douglas-costa-manchester-united

Today’s Daily Mail linked 18-year-old Brazilian Douglas Costa, dubbed the “new Ronaldinho” or the “new Anderson” depending on different sources, with a £21m move to Manchester United. The 18-year-old made his debut for Gremio on Saturday and scored in the first half against Brazilian powerhouse Botafogo, to further fuel his burgeoning reputation.

Costa has already turned out for Brazil’s under-19 international side, as well as gaining added experience training with the senior national team.

Back home, many compare Costa to another former Gremio starlet, Manchester United’s Anderson. According to club sources, Costa’s development is progressing faster than Anderson’s did, and with the vultures circling the Brazilian side are determined to extract as much money as possible for their young talent. Thankfully, Gremio recently tied the player down to a new contract that increased Costa’s buy-out clause from £5m to £21m.

Watching the footage from the weekend though, helps raise eyebrows to the likelihood of any transfer happening imminently. After falling behind to a fine strike from Silva in the 31st minute, Gremio immediately went on the offensive, with Costa scoring 60 seconds later.

A pass was hoofed up to the striker who cushioned the ball down to Costa. The youngster controlled expertly with his knee, before releasing a left-footed strike that deflected off a defender before beating a poor effort from the keeper. After scoring, and the crowd exploding, Costa began pounding on the club badge on his shirt before running over to the bench to celebrate with his teammates.

Obviously the bright lights of Europe are attractive, but the youngster, who is clearly at home at Gremio, may think it wiser to develop his game at home before jumping on the gravy train to potentially fall by the wayside.

Highlights from Gremio’s 2-1 over Botafoga can be seen here.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
dlan4327 said:
More worryingly Tevez's deal is set to expire at the end of this season, from memory. Tevez's asking price is somewhere in excess of £30, right?

]
Its 20M cash plus the 10M we have already spent on his loan deal.

But I doubt we'll get him. Fergie rarely buys directly from South America. The only two I can think of are Forlan and Kleberson. It would be very risky buying a kid from Brazil for 20M. Especially as half of these 'next Ronaldinho' players fail to adapt in leagues like Serie A or La Liga, so you can imagine how hard it would be in the Premiership.

I could be wrong. I've seen or even heard of this guy until now but I just can't see us spending a large sum of money for a kid from Brazil. (Remember Rafael, Fabio and Possebon were bought cheaply)

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
@ RFR

Ah........ yes the all powerful 4-2-3-1. Although it didn't work for us the first time, it would be criminal if Fergie decided not to try that formation again so that all four of the fabulous four might be integrated in a single formation.

I would love to see that formation week in week out tearing defenses apart. But what if it doesn't work? Frankly Tevez is too good to be a substitute. Although he gives his 100% every time sub or no sub, he might have thoughts of leaving if he isn't starting regularly.

To make matters worse, it won't be the Villa's and Spurs of this world that would be knocking his door. It would be the Milan's and the Madrid's and Barcelona's that would be vying to get his signature. Will he still stay here? I hope so, but it is unlikely. So why spend 30+ on him if he isn't Red Tev for life?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
RedForceRising said:
LOOK AT THAT!

I mean, really look at that. It's so beautiful, I could almost cry.
, but i see a tactics schema and I a reduced to tears.

It's beautiful and we must keep Tevez.
lol good man RFR. I feel the same too :D

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
red devil jeff said:
@ RFR

Ah........ yes the all powerful 4-2-3-1. Although it didn't work for us the first time, it would be criminal if Fergie decided not to try that formation again so that all four of the fabulous four might be integrated in a single formation.

I would love to see that formation week in week out tearing defenses apart. But what if it doesn't work? Frankly Tevez is too good to be a substitute. Although he gives his 100% every time sub or no sub, he might have thoughts of leaving if he isn't starting regularly.

To make matters worse, it won't be the Villa's and Spurs of this world that would be knocking his door. It would be the Milan's and the Madrid's and Barcelona's that would be vying to get his signature. Will he still stay here? I hope so, but it is unlikely. So why spend 30+ on him if he isn't Red Tev for life?
1. Out of interest which games did we use this formation in this season? Against Liverpool t was pretty much 4-4-2 with Anderson on the left and Rooney on the right wing.

It worked well against Aalborg and Blackburn.

The thing is, he won't be the only one who is a substitute. Ferguson said that tevez and Rooney were knackered towards the end of last season, so I believe he will give all three a lot of playing time, but they will also have to sit on the bench from time to time.

If you have 58 games a season and 2 striker spots that 116 starting spots. Divide that by three and it's roughly 38 starts per striker. That's a lot of games that each of our star strikers will get, so it will work fine if Tevez stays.

The three of them will get lots of games and will get a chance to rest too, so when April rolls around they will be fitter than most.

Tevez is ambitious, but has stated several times that he is happy at Man Utd and is best mates with Evra and Park, so I think he'd love to stay till he's ready to go back to Argentina to play for Boca Juniors.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
this costa guy looks like a dribller from the tiny footage posted here but i think fergie is looking for a replacement for ronaldo because he will leave and quite frankly, a replacement for him should he ever leave is probably just as high on fergies agenda as keeping tevez.

Hopefully tevez does stay though because he is a great player.

As for the formation RFR posted, looks great on paper but will be exposed against big teams imo...could be used after 60 odd minutes but wouldnt work for me...tevez is not an attacking midfielder, he is a striker and rooney wont be happy playing on the right all the time...but who knows, it could work and all 4 four could cause all sorts of trouble but i dunno still! lol

pz

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
@ RFR

I thought we didn't play a standard 4-4-2 against Liverpool. It was a funny formation. For me it seemed closer to a 4-2-3-1 than to a 4-4-2. If Ronaldo played that game, he would've played where Rooney played and Tevez would've replaced Anderson with Rooney playing off Berba making a 4-2-3-1.

Against Aalborg, Tevez started from the bench and we were already 2-0 up. The 4-4-2 won us the game not the 4-2-3-1. The only notable contribution from Tevez was him beating 3 players and then making the wrong decision to pass the ball to Ronaldo.

I don't see myself fit to comment about the Blackburn game as i didn't watch it.

I haven't seen enough evidence that the 4-3-2-1 has worked well for us.

But you're right about the fact that Tevez will get enough games to make him happy. Rooney is a little injury prone and the sheer volume of games would guarantee a lot of starts for Tevez even if we continue to play a 4-4-2.

I don't want Tevez to go but 32 million seems overpriced to me.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I said in the summer that we should have sealed the Tevez deal before we signed another striker, whoever that was to be.

And now I'm worried. If the deal isn't done be mid-late December, I think there is a genuine chance that we'll lose him.

Hes been unfairly dropped, and he doesn't look happy to me. Buts hes an important player for us, and we could regret it if we lose him.

This story is probably a load of crap, but we shouldn't be thinking about signing ANYBODY until we get the Tevez deal wrapped up.

And I can't believe theres people who are even thinking of replacements or preferences to Tevez.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
red devil jeff said:
32m is not overpriced as Tevez is 24 year old and only cost 20 while theres 12 for Coranthes and MSI
he deserve every single penny of it hes a model for passion and commitment a true red who play his heart out, a loyal lad with an awesome style and touch in football

Berbatov is an example of over-pricing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
red devil jeff said:
@ RFR

I thought we didn't play a standard 4-4-2 against Liverpool. It was a funny formation. For me it seemed closer to a 4-2-3-1 than to a 4-4-2. If Ronaldo played that game, he would've played where Rooney played and Tevez would've replaced Anderson with Rooney playing off Berba making a 4-2-3-1.

Against Aalborg, Tevez started from the bench and we were already 2-0 up. The 4-4-2 won us the game not the 4-2-3-1. The only notable contribution from Tevez was him beating 3 players and then making the wrong decision to pass the ball to Ronaldo.

I don't see myself fit to comment about the Blackburn game as i didn't watch it.

I haven't seen enough evidence that the 4-3-2-1 has worked well for us.

But you're right about the fact that Tevez will get enough games to make him happy. Rooney is a little injury prone and the sheer volume of games would guarantee a lot of starts for Tevez even if we continue to play a 4-4-2.

Dude, I'm sorry, but there is no way you could have watched the liverpool match and thought that was anything else but 4-4-2. Rooney was on the right wing the entire match and Anderson was on the left.

32 million is not the figure, it is actually higher, but that figure includes wages, which nobody seems to ever take into account.

Maybe I hsould start a thread on it.

36 million pound for Tevez is a figure that includes his wages, which a few lousy tabloid websites decided to name as the transfer price in the headlines.

It was only in the text that they explained that the figure included his wages.

The other websites took their cue from the tabloids and that figure has stuck ever since.

Back to the topic.

Players like Tevez do not come by often. Without Rooney or Tevez on the pitch we would really lack direct energy. To have two of them in the same squad is an absolute dream and Fergie is the last guy who would want that dream to end.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts