Manchester United Talk banner

501 - 520 of 551 Posts

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
The guy in white is pictured with about 4/5 young guys, they are all on trial from Deportivo Brasil. I think the confusion arose when he was pictured wearing white instead of suits and club ties.

Still, why would the journalist assume it was Costa and then why would two ManUtd.com workers confirm it?
My theory is that Douglas Costa was there - but he wasn't pictured there (might have been in a private box or something) hence the stories from the manutd.com workers. I'll bet a photographer acting on the tip probably spotted the kid who looked vaguely like Douggie - and put 2-2 together and ended up with 27.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
Looking at the first few posts in this thread from a year and a half ago (I must say, there was some very good and insightful activity on the matter) it seems that we were close (or deemed close by the papers) to buying him for about £20mil., I haven't been watching him but I'd ask those who have been watching him whether they think we missed out. It's also worth noting that he signed for Shakhtar for €6mil.

·
23,699 Posts
Looking at the first few posts in this thread from a year and a half ago (I must say, there was some very good and insightful activity on the matter) it seems that we were close (or deemed close by the papers) to buying him for about £20mil., I haven't been watching him but I'd ask those who have been watching him whether they think we missed out. It's also worth noting that he signed for Shakhtar for €6mil.
"I've never seen such nimbleness, he is on a par with Messi" 23 March 2011 - 12:02 | Sport.co.uk

Douglas Costa’s Shakhtar Donetsk teammate Darijo Srna admits he is not surprised by the alleged interest shown in the precocious young Brazilian by Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool.

The Croatian international claims the Samba starlet, who was rumoured to have been at Old Trafford for their recent Premier League game against Bolton Wanderers, is as fleet footed as Lionel Messi and unlikely to be a colleague for much longer given the player’s growing reputation.

Manchester United have maintained a long-term interest in the former Gremio prodigy, having looked into signing him prior to the 20-year-old’s move to the Ukraine in January last year, while Srna suggested scouts from both Liverpool and Manchester City have been paying close attention to the mercurial starlet.

Speaking about Costa, the aforementioned 28-year-old Croatian star said: “I’ve never seen such nimbleness – he is on a par with Messi. His speed with the ball and technique are out of this world.

“I know many scouts have watched him. Lots of clubs are taking an interest – the likes of United, Manchester City and Liverpool.

“He really does stand out, he makes a difference on the pitch. Douglas can beat three players with ease.

“This boy is hugely talented and is certainly a player destined for a big club.”

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
he was the subject of the great praise that came from his captain darijo srna..srna said : I've never seen such an agility in a player...he's comparable to messi in that...he's so quick with the ball in his feet, an excellent dribbler and has a great tehnique as well...long story short, he's the player that makes the difference

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Based on the below article from Sportsmail - the guy in the white jacket is "Gladstony".

The buys from Brazil: The new recruits from Manchester United's South American talent factory
While eyes were fixed on the Old Trafford directors’ box last Saturday to see if Fabio Capello would finally get up close and personal with Rio Ferdinand over the England captaincy issue, many would have missed the five Brazilian boys sitting six rows behind the Italian.

Long after Capello’s discarded skipper ends his career at United, the club hope their tie-up with Sao Paulo academy Desportivo Brasil will provide them with a steady stream of talent.

The process is part of a painstaking two-and-a-half-year project by the Barclays Premier League leaders to develop their own talent in South America rather than splash out huge fees on the next generation of stars.

Confidentiality agreements prevent Desportivo Brasil from revealing which of their 100-plus teenagers have a pre-contract agreement with United, but Sportsmail has learned that the five players pictured at Old Trafford are called Gladstony, Aguilar, Lucas Evangelista, Agnaldo and Rafael Leao.

Youths of today: Gladstony (1), Aguilar (2), Lucas Evangelista (3), Agnaldo, (4), and Rafael Leao (5) watch from the directors' box, as does Fabio Capello (circled bottom right)

The five are now visiting Dutch champions Twente, who United plan to use as a holding club for the boys to gain European Union passports.

Midfielders Gladstony and Rafael Leao will be 18 later this year — the age at which they can legally sign for a club outside Brazil — but tight immigration laws in England mean they are unlikely to be granted work permits as, unlike United defenders Rafael or Fabio da Silva, they have not even represented their country at youth level.

This is where Twente come in. Holland will happily let the boys play there, where they can stay until they qualify for an EU passport or get enough international experience for a UK work permit.

Desportivo Brasil is owned by sprawling South American football company Traffic, whose president of international business Jochen Losch told Sportsmail: ‘Twente are a partner, helping United to resolve the problem of their EU passports. For two reasons it’s good that a player goes first to Holland. First, after two or three years he’s considered to be European. And of course it’s easier to play in the Dutch league than the Premier League.’

The players all live inside a multimillion-pound training centre in Porto Feliz, a 90-minute drive from bustling Sao Paulo where they enjoy better training facilities than at most major Brazilian clubs.

But Desportivo Brasil do not dream of winning the league title or the Copa Libertadores; their raison d’etre is to have the best youth teams in South America and sell on their talent.

The designated United players are given extra English lessons, sessions with a psychologist about being away from home and visits to the Carrington training complex they may one day call home.

If United go through with a signing, they pay a set fee, based on a player’s position rather than ability.

The Brazilian academy, set up by Traffic, then retain a hefty 50 per cent sell-on clause.

Losch said: ‘Manchester United look for young players in Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay. If they find a good one they come to us. We’ll get the player, register him with Desportivo Brasil, and we have a contract with United that they have an option to buy this player at 18 for a fixed amount.

‘If the guy turns out to be an Alexandre Pato (the striker who left Internacional for AC Milan for nearly £20million on his 18th birthday) United can still have him for a huge discount because of course we’ll honour the contract. If they don’t like the player, we keep him.’

The partnership was struck after United’s pursuit of the Da Silva twins. They were first spotted as 15-year-olds but could not be formally taken out of Brazil until their 18th birthday, meaning they risked being neglected in the Fluminense youth team and they never made a senior appearance in Brazil.

One of the brightest hopes on Desportivo Brasil’s books is striker Aguilar, who was 16 a fortnight ago but was called up by Brazil’s Under 17 squad for training in January.

Aguilar was signed by Belo Horizonte side Cruzeiro in 2009. However, because contracts are not valid before a player’s 16th birthday, Desportivo Brasil were able to take him to Porto Feliz a year ago, prompting an angry reaction from Cruzeiro president Zeze Perrella.

Talent spot: United scouts noticed Fabio da Silva (left) at 15, while Pato (right) left Internacional in 2007 for almost £20million

Aguilar’s former coach Joao Paulo Tardim said: ‘There is no doubt about his quality. Saying he will become a great player is an exercise in predicting the future, but the chances of it happening are very high.’

English scouts will no doubt be at the Emirates on Sunday to see Brazil, with exciting Santos striker Neymar and Sao Paulo playmaker Lucas, take on Scotland.

But the pair have recently signed contracts setting their value at £39m and £66m respectively.

If United’s project comes off, it will have been a long game worth playing.

·
Succumbing to Ennui under Moyes
8,440 Posts
There was a lot of speculation on this guy recently..you'd think it would heat up in the transfer window..any news on him?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Nothin about him comin to United. But that don't mean anything. 99.9% of the time they never even see the signings coming.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
There was a lot of speculation on this guy recently..you'd think it would heat up in the transfer window..any news on him?
I don't think we would sign him if we got sneijder, and hopefully fergie is busy making a deal for sneijder now

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't think we would sign him if we got sneijder, and hopefully fergie is busy making a deal for sneijder now
I honestly don't think we can afford Sneijder. I'd absolutely love it if we got him, but he's said he's staying and we haven't forked out for a transfer since Berba. As much as Gill says its gonna be a busy summer, I just don't believe we've got the financial clout to draw in a player of Sneijder's quality. If he's willing to take a pay cut then he's my first choice too.

·
8,440 Posts
I'll be really surprised (pleasantly) if we got Sneijder at the prices being quoted..especially with others after his signature as well. The last player we beat Chelsea to was Mikel...oh wait!

·
8,440 Posts
Arsenal eyeing Shakhtar Donetsk pair Willian AND Douglas Costa | Transfer News & Rumors | tribalfootball.com

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger hopes to use want-away midfielder Denilson as a bargaining chip.

The Sunday Mirror says Denilson could be used as a makeweight to secure either Willian da Silva or Douglas Costa from Ukrainian club Shakhtar Donetsk.

Both impressed when Shakhtar beat the Gunners 2-1 in Donetsk in a Champions League group match.

Denilson has declared he wants out of Arsenal after falling off the first team map last season.

It's tribal football lol

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
the goods!!! Blend of Best and Messi, great ability to shed tackles and fantastic vision with runs and slotting the pass. In addition he has a boot and some flair.
Haven't seen a large passing range from him, but surely a young target that ticks all the boxes for United.

He ain't coming :(

·
8,440 Posts
the goods!!! Blend of Best and Messi, great ability to shed tackles and fantastic vision with runs and slotting the pass. In addition he has a boot and some flair.
Haven't seen a large passing range from him, but surely a young target that ticks all the boxes for United.

He ain't coming :(
Frustrating ain't it? We're going to be disappointed at the end of this window because once again I don't expect Fergie to make any of the signings we so wish for. He knows best....

501 - 520 of 551 Posts