Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
11,456 Posts
FA will examine Drogba comments
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7680701.stm

The Football Association is to study claims in Didier Drogba's autobiography that he wishes he had punched Nemanja Vidic in the Champions League final.

The Chelsea striker was sent off in the final in Moscow in May for slapping the Manchester United defender.

The FA will investigate the remark and the book as a whole to see if Drogba has brought the game into disrepute.

A spokesman said: "We are aware of the comments and will be examining them in their proper context."

Drogba's red card prevented him from participating in the penalty shoot-out in Moscow, which Chelsea lost.

In the book, he wrote: "I have seen the match on video and I believe I should not have been sent off with three minutes to go.

"If I had punched him, I would have understood. Now I wish I had."

It is understood the FA is not viewing the incident in the same light as Roy Keane's 2002 book, in which the former Manchester United captain said he had deliberately injured Alf Inge Haaland.

Keane was banned for five games and fined £150,000 by the FA, but Drogba may simply be warned that his comments are unwelcome.

The 30-year-old Ivory Coast striker - who has been shortlisted for the 2008 European Footballer of the Year award - is currently out of action with a knee injury that he sustained playing against CFR Cluj on 1 October.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.