Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I don't understand why people say he was big. He was only 5 foot 11. Maybe compared to people 50 odd years ago that was big? Either way, amazing video. Class just pouring out of that man. One of the great tragedies of all-time :(

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
piazza said:
I don't understand why people say he was big. He was only 5 foot 11. Maybe compared to people 50 odd years ago that was big? Either way, amazing video. Class just pouring out of that man. One of the great tragedies of all-time :(
He was like an earlier version of Norman Whiteside but better.
Basically they were man-boys. He was built like a man when he was a kid.
He was very well built, powerful and stocky.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Yeah I noticed that, but even if he was built like a man, he was still built like a small man.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
piazza said:
Yeah I noticed that, but even if he was built like a man, he was still built like a small man.
:rolleyes: He was the best EVER. nuf said. Just cos your a lanky streak of pee,;)
doesnt mean someone who is 5'11 is 'small'. He had more strength in his
little finger than you have in your entire body.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
:rolleyes: He was the best EVER. nuf said. Just cos your a lanky streak of pee,;)
doesnt mean someone who is 5'11 is 'small'. He had more strength in his
Lanky? I'm built like your classic rugby union Number 8. But yeah, Dunc did look like a tank, but still an elegant tank at that. What could've been...:(

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
:rolleyes: He was the best EVER. nuf said. Just cos your a lanky streak of pee,;) doesnt mean someone who is 5'11 is 'small'. He had more strength in his
Lol :D .

You don't have to be tall to be strong. Look at Rooney, Tevez and Anderson.

If I could choose 1 player to seemore of it definately would have been Edwards.

I mean how good must he have been if Sir Bobby said he was the ONLY player who ever made him feel inferior:eek:

Remember Sir Bobby played with and against players like Eusabio, Best, Pele etc.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
TheManc said:
Lol :D .

You don't have to be tall to be strong. Look at Rooney, Tevez and Anderson.

If I could choose 1 player to seemore of it definately would have been Edwards.

I mean how good must he have been if Sir Bobby said he was the ONLY player who ever made him feel inferior:eek:

Remember Sir Bobby played with and against players like Eusabio, Best, Pele etc.
I never said he wasn't strong, just that he wasn't that big. I couldn't agree with you more on your other points.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Looking at videos like that makes you think so much about that team would of done. The likes of Coleman, Whealen and Big Dunc all looking so classy and experienced at such a young age. Tragic.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
RedMurph7 said:
Looking at videos like that makes you think so much about that team would of done. The likes of Coleman, Whealen and Big Dunc all looking so classy and experienced at such a young age. Tragic.
One things for sure we would have past Liverpool's '18-5' a LONG time ago.

Z

·
0 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

There isn't much footage about of the babes so new finds are always welcome :)

S

·
0 Posts
When people refer to Duncan Edwards as "Big Dunc" they are not refering to his size in height or his weight or his build.

Copy/paste from a post i made months ago, written by Tom Clare.

On Saturday, April 2nd 1953, at the age of 16 years and 181 days, he appeared out of the tunnel wearing the number 6 shirt in Manchester United's first team playing against Cardiff City in a Football League Division One match.

In 1953/54, his reputation started to gain momentum, and even though he was just 17, he appeared for the England Under-23 team against Italy, in Bologna. This was the first under-23 game that England ever took part in. He had already started to earn rave notices with his outstanding displays in the first team. In those days, there was some really outstanding players around who had huge reputations. They meant nothing at all to Duncan - even at such a young age, he just eclipsed them with the power and polish of his own performance.

Top youtube vid as well. Always good to see one of the Babes in action.
Thanks for posting it for everyone here to see.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
SALFORD RED said:
When people refer to Duncan Edwards as "Big Dunc" they are not refering to his size in height or his weight or his build.

Copy/paste from a post i made months ago, written by Tom Clare.

On Saturday, April 2nd 1953, at the age of 16 years and 181 days, he appeared out of the tunnel wearing the number 6 shirt in Manchester United's first team playing against Cardiff City in a Football League Division One match.

In 1953/54, his reputation started to gain momentum, and even though he was just 17, he appeared for the England Under-23 team against Italy, in Bologna. This was the first under-23 game that England ever took part in. He had already started to earn rave notices with his outstanding displays in the first team. In those days, there was some really outstanding players around who had huge reputations. They meant nothing at all to Duncan - even at such a young age, he just eclipsed them with the power and polish of his own performance.

Top youtube vid as well. Always good to see one of the Babes in action.
Thanks for posting it for everyone here to see.
Well thank you very much for elaborating on that. I figured it was just because he was really big for being such a young guy.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Road to be named after Busby Babe

A Black Country commuter route could be renamed in memory of one of the area's football heroes.

Duncan Edwards died in 1958, after 15 days battling injuries he suffered in the
Munich air crash which killed seven of his Manchester United team-mates.

His home town of Dudley has a statue of Edwards, who was 21 when he died,
but the council is considering renaming the southern bypass Duncan Edwards Way.

Dudley mayor Ray Burston said Edwards had a lasting impact on the town.

Charlton's hero
Edwards, who won 18 England caps, grew up in The Priory, Dudley, and is buried in the town's cemetery.

The Manchester United players, known as the Busby Babes, were returning from
a European Cup match in Belgrade when the accident happened on 6 February 1958.

Fellow United player Bobby Charlton, who survived the crash and went on to play
in the England team which won the World Cup in 1966, described Edwards as his hero.

A memorial ceremony was held by the statue in Dudley in February, to mark the 50th anniversary of the crash.

Councillors are set to give the road name plans the go-ahead at a meeting this week.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/7665120.stm

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
They should just rename the whole town "Duncan". Sounds better than Dudley anyway.

When I hear Duncan, I think of a football hero and Scottish warriors.
When I hear Dudley, I think of short, drunk, unconvincing actors. :D

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
RedForceRising said:
When I hear Dudley, I think of short, drunk, unconvincing actors. :D
When I hear Dudley, it makes me think of the one from the Harry Potter books.
Duncan sounds like someone who'd hurl something through you.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Whiteside would never have laced Edwards' boots.

Edwards was simply, Edwards. The best thing I can say about Duncan is about an opponent, Bobby Moore. Bobby Moore, England and West Ham Captain, and World Cup winner, would never have got into the England team, if Duncan had survived.

Church of St Francis, Dudley, where Duncan is immortalised in stained glass.

One of the windows

I took these way back in early 90s when I arrived in Midlands. First place I looked for was Duncans grave and the Church.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts