Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chris Eagles has signed for Burnley. More to follow. It has just been revealed on MUTV that Chris Eagles has signed for the sum of £1.25m. Thats a bargain for such a player, on the fringes of the first team squad.

I mentioned in the Berbatov thread that we give players away as opposed to the fantastic prices other teams charge us!! This is a perfect example. We could have easily got £4-5m for a player of this calibre.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
So looks like he is off. Cant say Im disappointed tbh. Not a player I was too
keen on and I didnt think he could cut it at OT.

I wrote this in the Chris Eagles now or never thread just recently:

I dont think he can cut it. He is 22/23? now and its getting too late for him.
Ive watched him in the reserves where he has excelled and scored some
wonderful goals, but on the highest stage I dont think he could do it.

He also strikes me as the type of player who thinks he's God's gift to everything.
He has scored a couple of goals in pre-season again, but how many times does
he lose the ball? Its ridiculous if you ask me....he is always giving the ball away
and by the looks of it missing sitters.

I think he should go elsewhere to get first team team football. When he got his
chance last season in the first team he didnt take it, which was why he was left
out. If you get a chance you NEED to take it and he didnt.....

I dont think he is a patch on the other wingers we have......maybe Ill be wrong
but only time will tell.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
£4million?
Shows how overpriced players are nowadays. If Eagles could of brought in £4m, then bloody Dave Kitson could of went for £10m.

Eagles is dogcrap, and I'm glad he's gone. You see him in his top car, thinking he's all the rage. Saying that he has a good intentions which shown when he scored against Everton.

I wish him all the best. I knew SA was only a shop window for him. Hope he does well.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jazz 16 said:
So looks like he is off.
No, he has GONE.

Championship outfit Burnley have signed Reds midfielder Chris Eagles.

Eagles arrives at Turf Moor on a three-year deal for an undisclosed fee. The 22-year-old midfielder saw his chances limited at Old Trafford. Since making his United debut in the Carling Cup against Leeds in October 2003 he made 17 appearances for the club.
From manutd.com

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
:eek:

Bit surprised Fergie included him so much in Pre-Season if he just lets him go
especially for such a small sum.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yes I'm happy about this because i think he's a decent player to watch! He will easily get first team there and 1.25 mil isn't too bad business. Played a great pre season, good luck to him.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
marty davidson said:
surely we mite buy some now

Ye, your right....a whole 1.25M is going to be the difference between Berbatov
signing or not sgning...lol

Still can't believe he went for such a price and the fact that he moved when he
was playing at a big club.

Surely he'd want to stay in the prem at least??

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
he is good, he showed the fans and boss that he is good, but he really need first team play. so try think in his shoes, i think he did a right thing =\

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I'm surprised one of the new premiership teams didn't try and buy him. Seemed a likely baggy to me.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Eagles: Fergie advice prompted move
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1778_3883594,00.html

Chris Eagles revealed Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson persuaded him to quit the European champions and join Championship club Burnley.

The 22-year-old has signed a three-year deal for an undisclosed fee believed to be in excess of £1million after finally admitting defeat in his fight to become a first-team regular at Old Trafford.

Eagles joined the Red Devils at the age of 14 and despite being prominent in their pre-season campaign - scoring against Kaizer Chiefs and Portsmouth on their tour of Africa - he accepted his future lies elsewhere.

"I spoke to Sir Alex a lot about it because he's looked after me since I was 14," said Eagles, who spent time on loan at Watford, Sheffield Wednesday and Dutch outfit NEC Nijmegen in recent seasons.

"He told my mum and dad he was going to look after me and he did.

"He said it's going to be a big decision but he believes that with the talent I've got I need to go and play.

"It's no good me sitting in the stands.

"United need to win every game and they're not going to play someone who hasn't been playing regularly."

Eagles spent United's tour of Africa agonising over the move but he knew he was in a "comfort zone" as a fringe member of the club's first-team set-up.

"People don't realise that a decision like this bangs at your head and you need to just get it signed and sealed," said Eagles after becoming Burnley's sixth summer signing.

"But I don't need to move here - I can still live in Manchester - and I think altogether the whole package was very good.

"I was in a comfort zone because I had been there since the age of 14.

"It was a hard move to leave a club where I knew everyone from the cleaner to the manager.

"It's a big step but I believe it's a step in the right direction.

"I was very impressed with Owen Coyle (Burnley manager) and am just looking forward to playing regularly."

Eagles insisted his decision to leave United was in no way related to Cristiano Ronaldo's apparent failure to secure his dream move to Real Madrid.

Ronaldo's departure may have paved the way for Eagles to make his mark, but the winger said: "It may have done but you just don't really know.

"I need to concentrate on myself and I don't need to worry about whether someone is leaving.

"He's a great player and I wish him all the best whatever he does."

·
Registered
736 Posts
CHRIS EAGLES has left Manchester United for Championship side Burnley.

The winger, 22, has signed a three-year deal at Turf Moor and becomes Clarets' boss Owen Coyle's sixth summer signing.

Eagles joined United at the age of 14 but has failed to establish himself as a regular part of Alex Ferguson's first-team plans.

He has played a big part in the Red Devils' pre-season campaign, scoring against Kaizer Chiefs and Portsmouth on their tour of Africa.

But Eagles, who has had loan spells with Watford, Sheffield Wednesday and Dutch outfit NEC Nijmegen, has finally called time on his Old Trafford career. -TheSun

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Can't say Im surprised.

I did say in the Eagles thread I thought he had just got worse since he first broke in, and tbh £1.25m is a good price imo.

He was never going to play regularly. He was well behind Ronaldo, Nani, Giggs, Park and even Hargreaves on the wings.

I say good luck to him though, and I'm sure he'll return to the Premiership one day.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts