Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 552 Posts

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
What's he like in terms of pace and movement? And general work rate and determination? I have to admit I've been limited to a few clips of him but they've always impressed by what I've seen. He looks like he has either foot finishing, good in the air and a good touch. If anyone could give me a more full image of him that'd be great.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Edin Dzeko, 23 years old, 1.9m tall, Bosnia forward, currently playing for Wolfburg.
Scored 22 goals in 30 games with 6 assists in Bundesliga 2008/2009.

Should Man U sign him?
:eek:

While he has a lot of potential, he has Misomivic and Grafite to make him look good presently.
Don’t get me wrong, he has the potential to be a great player.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Its amazing how our forwards can score 40 a season but some fans still persist on thinking we should buy mediocre strikers from all around Europe.
What a simplistic and narrow-minded view.

How about in several games this season, we've still missed a fox-in-box centre forward who is a handful for the opposing defenders and can turn half-chances into goals?

Gosh...we've just won three in a row. Why not sign nobody and just rest on our laurels?

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Dzeko to consider options
Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Manchester United | Dzeko to consider options

Magath's departure set to influence striker's future

Edin Dzeko admits he will have to consider his future at Wolfsburg at the end of the season when coach Felix Magath leaves for Schalke.

Bosnian striker Dzeko has enjoyed a stunning second half to the campaign and has rattled in 25 goals for the Bundesliga title chasers.

He is one behind team-mate Grafite in the race to be top scorer and has previously suggested he is keen to stay at Wolfsburg.

However, Magath's decision to quit Wolfsburg in the summer to take over at Schalke has prompted Dzeko to question his own future.

Arsenal, Manchester United, Sunderland and AC Milan have all been linked with bids for the in-form hit-man, with Wolfsburg rumoured to want £17million.

Very disappointed

Dzeko has two years left on his contract and he concedes he will have to weigh up his options over the summer.

"It would be fine to be top scorer in the end, but to win the title is more important," Dzeko told Bild.

"However, the whole situation at the club has changed due to the departure of Felix Magath to Schalke.

"I am very disappointed that he is leaving and I will have to consider my options at the end of the campaign."

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah Dzeko is playing well but in what league?? the Bundesliga says it all lol Pub league its like saying Kris Boyd at Rangers is good. Put him in the premier league against big strong quick defenders and he will be another Forlan!!!!!!!

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Edin Dzeko admits he will have to consider his future at Wolfsburg at the end of the season when coach Felix Magath leaves for Schalke.

Bosnian striker Dzeko has enjoyed a stunning second half to the campaign and has rattled in 25 goals for the Bundesliga title chasers.

He is one behind team-mate Grafite in the race to be top scorer and has previously suggested he is keen to stay at Wolfsburg.

However, Magath's decision to quit Wolfsburg in the summer to take over at Schalke has prompted Dzeko to question his own future.

Arsenal, Manchester United, Sunderland and AC Milan have all been linked with bids for the in-form hit-man, with Wolfsburg rumoured to want £17million.
Very disappointed

Dzeko has two years left on his contract and he concedes he will have to weigh up his options over the summer.

"It would be fine to be top scorer in the end, but to win the title is more important," Dzeko told Bild.

"However, the whole situation at the club has changed due to the departure of Felix Magath to Schalke.

"I am very disappointed that he is leaving and I will have to consider my options at the end of the campaign."

Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Manchester United | Dzeko to consider options

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
Yeah Dzeko is playing well but in what league?? the Bundesliga says it all lol Pub league its like saying Kris Boyd at Rangers is good. Put him in the premier league against big strong quick defenders and he will be another Forlan!!!!!!!
thats just bollocks, Ill agree the bundesliga is no prem, but, comparing it to the scottish league? thats just ludicrous, Personally I dont think he will have a problem with "stronger" defenders since hes a pretty strong guy himself, my only concern might be with the pace of the game here in england, but no doubt this guy can score and hes the type of player weve been missing.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
What a simplistic and narrow-minded view.

How about in several games this season, we've still missed a fox-in-box centre forward who is a handful for the opposing defenders and can turn half-chances into goals?

Gosh...we've just won three in a row. Why not sign nobody and just rest on our laurels?
lol whut. Since when does someone missing a few chances mean that we need to splash out money on a striker who
A. Probably isnt good enough
B. Wouldnt fit in with how we play.

What is the point? This isnt Football Manager mate, we cant go signing any Tom, Dick or Harry. Fergie spent 3 bloody seasons checking out Berbatov so what makes you think he's going to jump for some repuation-less striker who's been unproven apart from the Bundesliga? Not alot mate. Also, not resting on our laurels, resting on our £100million+ strike force and the surge of youth talent coming through at the moment.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
lol whut. Since when does someone missing a few chances mean that we need to splash out money on a striker who
A. Probably isnt good enough
B. Wouldnt fit in with how we play.

What is the point? This isnt Football Manager mate, we cant go signing any Tom, Dick or Harry. Fergie spent 3 bloody seasons checking out Berbatov so what makes you think he's going to jump for some repuation-less striker who's been unproven apart from the Bundesliga? Not alot mate. Also, not resting on our laurels, resting on our £100million+ strike force and the surge of youth talent coming through at the moment.
?!?!

Ah yes, the "this isn't Football Manager" argument. the one the ends all arguments :rolleyes: and *facepalm*.

Have you actually seen him play? Not just highlights or youtube, actually watched him?

Roque Santa Cruz was an even more unproven striker. He struggled to get consistent games at bayern and when he did play his form was patchy. Still, everytime he played you could tell that had good qualities.

Stats are only half the story, sometimes it's just not the right circumstances, that's why you have to actually watch players.

So and then Santa Cruz came over to England and did well.

And Edin Dzenko is doing a lot better than flipping Santa Cruz and have qualities we could use. Nobody's saying his white hot / world class blah, blah but he's got good attributes, some of which we don't have and wouldn't cost 30milllion, he probably would cost a third of that amount.

How about Vidic? How about Stam? How about van Nistelrroy? they were unproven outside 'lesser' leagues and I know from a Martin Ferguson interview that they didn't spend 3 seasons scouting Stam.

Maybe we shouldn't sign anybody who hasn't played in the prem eh?

Oops...we wouldn't have Ronaldo, Evra, Vidic, Anderson :rolleyes:

Go watch Wolfsburg's next game, if you can and then let me know what you think...

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
?!?!

Ah yes, the "this isn't Football Manager" argument. the one the ends all arguments :rolleyes: and *facepalm*.

Have you actually seen him play? Not just highlights or youtube, actually watched him?

Roque Santa Cruz was an even more unproven striker. He struggled to get consistent games at bayern and when he did play his form was patchy. Still, everytime he played you could tell that had good qualities.

Stats are only half the story, sometimes it's just not the right circumstances, that's why you have to actually watch players.

So and then Santa Cruz came over to England and did well.

And Edin Dzenko is doing a lot better than flipping Santa Cruz and have qualities we could use. Nobody's saying his white hot / world class blah, blah but he's got good attributes, some of which we don't have and wouldn't cost 30milllion, he probably would cost a third of that amount.

How about Vidic? How about Stam? How about van Nistelrroy? they were unproven outside 'lesser' leagues and I know from a Martin Ferguson interview that they didn't spend 3 seasons scouting Stam.

Maybe we shouldn't sign anybody who hasn't played in the prem eh?

Oops...we wouldn't have Ronaldo, Evra, Vidic, Anderson :rolleyes:

Go watch Wolfsburg's next game, if you can and then let me know what you think...
Most of your arguement revolves around the fact that you think I rate Roque Santa Cruz. Which I dont. At all. He only has one good attribute of being in the right place at the right time, which fair enough is a pretty good attribute to have but he has very few others. Dont know why you think he has anything other than a calm and collected shot, a decent header and a pretty good idea of how to play upfront. I dont suppose that this Dzeko fella has much more than that either and I dont see why we should sign him.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Most of your arguement revolves around the fact that you think I rate Roque Santa Cruz. Which I dont. At all. He only has one good attribute of being in the right place at the right time, which fair enough is a pretty good attribute to have but he has very few others. Dont know why you think he has anything other than a calm and collected shot, a decent header and a pretty good idea of how to play upfront. I dont suppose that this Dzeko fella has much more than that either and I dont see why we should sign him.
erm no.... i mentioned several points which were not related to Roque Santa Cruz, many of which were in response to your points.

Anyway, the whole point of discussing a striker is that Tevez looks like he will be leaving, in which case we would only have Macheda and Welbeck as cover for Berba and Rooney. At 17 and 18, I think that's giving them a bit too much responsibility. A slightly more expereienced third choice striker would make sense.

And if we're looking for a third-choice striker Edin Dzenko might be worth looking at - he's 1.9m tall, can finish well, can get on the end of crosses, hold up the ball, is strong etc.

He might not be Fernando Torres, but he's a good player whom with only two years left on his contract wouldn't cost the world,

You might question the Bundesliga, but Steven Pienaar, Michael Ballack, Moritz Volz, Roberth Huth have come over from the Bundesliga and done fairly well, which would seem to indicate that Bundesliga players have a decent chance of adapting to the prem.....

so yeah.... if you;re looking for a third striker and don't want to pay crazy money, then you;d be looking outside the prem and if you're doing that, Dzenko might be worth a punt.

Cos if we don't it would be a 17 or 18 year old partnering Berba or Rooney, if one of them is injured. You could play Ronaldo as a striker too, but then would have Park on the right, so it's back to the stance that signing a third choice striker might not be a bad idea.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
erm no.... i mentioned several points which were not related to Roque Santa Cruz, many of which were in response to your points.

Anyway, the whole point of discussing a striker is that Tevez looks like he will be leaving, in which case we would only have Macheda and Welbeck as cover for Berba and Rooney. At 17 and 18, I think that's giving them a bit too much responsibility. A slightly more expereienced third choice striker would make sense.

And if we're looking for a third-choice striker Edin Dzenko might be worth looking at - he's 1.9m tall, can finish well, can get on the end of crosses, hold up the ball, is strong etc.

He might not be Fernando Torres, but he's a good player whom with only two years left on his contract wouldn't cost the world,

You might question the Bundesliga, but Steven Pienaar, Michael Ballack, Moritz Volz, Roberth Huth have come over from the Bundesliga and done fairly well, which would seem to indicate that Bundesliga players have a decent chance of adapting to the prem.....

so yeah.... if you;re looking for a third striker and don't want to pay crazy money, then you;d be looking outside the prem and if you're doing that, Dzenko might be worth a punt.

Cos if we don't it would be a 17 or 18 year old partnering Berba or Rooney, if one of them is injured. You could play Ronaldo as a striker too, but then would have Park on the right, so it's back to the stance that signing a third choice striker might not be a bad idea.
Stop being wrong please. Tevez will probably leave but we have one of the best forwards in the world in Ronaldo and tbh I think he plays his best when played upfront. Does Ballon D'or count as experienced?

Wouldnt cost the world? Name me one team in the entire world who wont charge somethinge exorbitant for a players services when they learn Man United is after them.

Also, Moritz Volz and Robert Huth? Hardly shining examples and they came through the late stages of Arsenal and Chelseas youth academies respectively and Pienaar needing a season long loan to make sure he was good enough and Ballack proving himself internationally aswell as in the Bundesliga.

Sorry for being a bit harsh but it doesnt look like this player will be joining us! Its just another name on a long list of people who's agents have said we are interested to spark appeal in their player.

1 - 20 of 552 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.