Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edwin's injury not seriousEdwin van der Sar should be fit to face Bolton Wanderers on Saturday, despite needing to be substituted at Stamford Bridge in the first half.

The Dutchman, who was injured in a collision with Chelsea forward Florent Malouda in Sunday's 1-1 draw, played on briefly before signalling to the bench that he could no longer continue.

“He got some studs in the kneecap and there was a bit of swelling there,†Sir Alex told MUTV after the final whistle. “Hopefully he'll be okay for next week.â€

Van der Sar isn't the only Reds goalkeeper who'll be visiting the treatment room at Carrington this week.

Ben Foster fell awkwardly on his ankle playing for United's Reserves last Thursday and is expected to be out of action for up to two months.

“Ben's not had any luck,†Sir Alex told media last Friday. “He's been blighted by injuries so far in his career.

“He's a top goalkeeper and I just hope he gets a little break now.â€

Tomasz Kuszczak, who replaced van der Sar at Chelsea, will almost certainly don United's goalkeeper jersey on Tuesday night when Middlesbrough arrive at Old Trafford in the Carling Cup.

21/09/2008 16:51, Report by Nick Coppack

not sure who i would favour out of van der sar and kuszczak??

who would u??:confused:

Z

·
0 Posts
I'd rather see Kuszczak in goal for the next game. Van der Sar makes me cringe every time he comes to try and claim a ball. He seems to have really lost his confidence.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
anyone see the replay where rio was tapping his head as if to say "think"

he then clearly says to VDS "it's embarrasing". Wonder if he was referring to the one incident or the recent form of Edwin.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
On current form, I'd have Kuszczak start before Edwin.

Ok, there was one instance where the ball flashed infront of goal and Anelka almost scored - he could have come out faster and more ssuredly for that, but otherwise did well and his catching was much better than Edwin's for sure.

Maybe he could have come out to claim the free-kick that led to the goal too.

I guess Eric Steele will have some aspects of Pig's game to work on....

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I said several times that I thought VDS should be dropped and my opinion hasn't changed.

He had another very shaky half, and I honestly think it would be in our best interests if we decided to play Tomasz.

He had a good game today, apart from the free-kick and maybe the Anelka chance.

Tomasz isn't a perfect keeper either, but he deserves a chance.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Whatever about Edwin's current form, its great news that his injury isnt too serious.
With Foster out for 2 months it would have been a disaster to have Edwin out as well,
especially with Heaton out on loan.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
When he got the injury i had the feeling he was faking it a tiny bit. I think he was feeling low on confidence and just wanted to get off the pitch, the injury allowed him to do that. Of course i could be totally wrong.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
big dutch puff !!!! keepers of old played 42 league games a season year in year out without the protection they get today . he has more than a touch of saha about him . alex stepney would be spinning in his grave if he was dead ! . gay ol fella name edwin .

·
Registered
848 Posts
RichardsReds said:
When he got the injury i had the feeling he was faking it a tiny bit. I think he was feeling low on confidence and just wanted to get off the pitch, the injury allowed him to do that. Of course i could be totally wrong.
Would actually agree with this, the challenge didnt look that bad but VDS hasn't looked comfortable for a few weeks.

I'm not sure about kuszczak either. Foster seems to be the logical long term choice. If he can keep fit

·
Registered
100 Posts
Edwin van der Sar should still be 1st choice if he could recover from injury. Kuszczak is good, but it doesn't have too much confidence towards his performance. Perhaps he was just the no. 2 keeper in West Brom.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
the worst thing that can happen is that the defenders start losing faith in him. as long as the defenders still can believe in him, and can work well with him, he should continue between the posts. his performance so far cant be getting any worse, and i expect a great keeper like him to bounce back after such shaky start to the season.

·
Registered
734 Posts
its a pity hes not done for the season he is rubbish, how many more balls does he need to fumble before he gets left on the bench. bring on the Thomas.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
^ OK That's a bit harsh. I don't wish injury onto any player let alone an United player, but he has been very poor.

As I said on the matchday thread, I suspect he feigned injury to cover up for his inability to catch. When he went down to collect the ball, he looked fine.....then he lost the ball, stood up and pretended to be injured. Loser.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
maybe if VDS was there we might win.. cause or DEF was not that strong to cover them all..
berb was there and LAZY to jump or to block kalou.. 30 m pounds its like 1m pound per match!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
RedForceRising said:
^ OK That's a bit harsh. I don't wish injury onto any player let alone an United player, but he has been very poor.

As I said on the matchday thread, I suspect he feigned injury to cover up for his inability to catch. When he went down to collect the ball, he looked fine.....then he lost the ball, stood up and pretended to be injured. Loser.
I think thats a bit harsh.
Calling Edwin a loser? :confused: He took a clatter so you cant go criticising him.
Impact injuries are strange ones. Look at Clichy going off to hospital. He thought
his leg was broken :rolleyes: but it was just an impact injury i.e. bruising.
To question Edwin's mentality is bizarre as he is a proven winner over his long
illustrious career. Fair enough you can be critical of his performances and you have been.
but calling him a loser is not on. He deserves more respect than that.
Anyone remember a little save he made against Anelka just last May?

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Van Der Sar Number 1

glad this injury isn't serious

am sure Edwin would look more comfortable if he have some fans behind his back to support him instead of slating him :rolleyes:

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
VDS may have had a shaky start to the season but TK was one of the players at fault for Chelsea's goal. I'd still prefer VDS to start tbh. He had a shaky spell a couple of seasons ago when he was palming balls out instead of catching them but got over it quite quickly. Hopefully he'll do the same this season.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
yangch0000 said:
the worst thing that can happen is that the defenders start losing faith in him. as long as the defenders still can believe in him, and can work well with him, he should continue between the posts. his performance so far cant be getting any worse, and i expect a great keeper like him to bounce back after such shaky start to the season.

your spot on there but sadly i believe they have lost faith and we will continue to give idiotic goals away when vds is involved ,edwins confidence has been very shaky for about 18 months and every mistake makes him worse.he can't make major improvements because he is way past his best and is getting slower and less agile all the time ,you only have to look at rio shouting at him to see that the defence has lost confidence in him.foster is the future but injurys are costing him big time poor lad.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I think thats a bit harsh.
Calling Edwin a loser? :confused: He took a clatter so you cant go criticising him.
Impact injuries are strange ones. Look at Clichy going off to hospital. He thought
his leg was broken :rolleyes: but it was just an impact injury i.e. bruising.
To question Edwin's mentality is bizarre as he is a proven winner over his long
illustrious career. Fair enough you can be critical of his performances and you have been.
but calling him a loser is not on. He deserves more respect than that.
Anyone remember a little save he made against Anelka just last May?

Just saw this.

I also remember a little save against Man City last season and three penalty saves in a row in the curtain raiser of 07/08.

That still doesn't hide the fact that he has not been reliable lately.

I know it sounded harsh, but I wouldn;t give that tag to an United player unless I was absolutely convinced. Although I don't have contacts within OT to confirm it, I really felt he was making the injury worst than it was and it was only after he spilled the ball that he decided to act as if he were mortally wounded.

And now we hear that the injury is not as bad as first thought.

Hand-on-heart, I'd rather Kuszczak start the next few games ahead of Edwin.

The defenders are losing faith in Edwin and Rio has been having little skirmishes with him since the latter part of last season.

I would like to think I'm very fair when it comes to individual performances as shown in the Berba v Chelsea thread, but Edwin has been driving me nuts and making me very nervous. And worse than that I don't think he has been instilling a lot of confidence in his team mates.

Add to that, his gaffes actually inspire the opposition and signals weakness.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts