Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll tip my hat to Jazz 16, who defended Edwin when others were calling for his head.

Edwin van der Sar has kept another clean sheet and now holds the records for amount of time without conceding in both the premiership AND in all of English top flight football.

MANCHESTER, England (AP) -Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar has set a new English record for not conceding a goal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/wires/01/31/2080.ap.soc.man.united.van.der.sar.0110/index.html

The former Netherlands international wasn't beaten in the first 73 minutes of United's match against Everton on Saturday, ensuring he surpassed the previous record of 1,103 minutes set by Reading's Steve Death in the 1978-79 season.

S

·
0 Posts
Van der Sar made it 12 consecutive shut-outs today he now has the opportunity to topple the British record for all competitive games, established by Chris Woods of Rangers, who went unbeaten for 1,196 minutes in 1986-87. Van der Sar, who has not conceded a league goal since a 2-1 win for Arsenal on 8 November, would need to keep out West Ham United for 75 minutes at Upton Park on Sunday week.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I'll tip my hat to Jazz 16, who defended Edwin when others were calling for his head.

Edwin van der Sar has kept another clean sheet and now holds the records for amount of time without conceding in both the premiership AND in all of English top flight football.

MANCHESTER, England (AP) -Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar has set a new English record for not conceding a goal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/wires/01/31/2080.ap.soc.man.united.van.der.sar.0110/index.html

The former Netherlands international wasn't beaten in the first 73 minutes of United's match against Everton on Saturday, ensuring he surpassed the previous record of 1,103 minutes set by Reading's Steve Death in the 1978-79 season.

I'd say there was a minimal number doing so IMO...so far as I can remember..

EVERY keeper will have a bad patch...great to see him in the record books with
Manchester United in brackets beside his name :D

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
After a bit of searching i managed to find the goal-keeping record for the longest period without conceeding a goal.

Currently the "World" record is held by Geraldo Pereira de Matos Filho of Vasco Da Gama (Brazilian Team) of 1,816 mins. :eek:

World Goalkeeping Records

So as it stands, at 1,121 mins, he stands 17th on the all time list.
However i reckon Edwin's record is more impressive because of the league he is playing in. Just look at the leagues all those records were set in. No offense to those goalkeepers, but the standard wasn't that high at all.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SALFORD RED said:
Van der Sar made it 12 consecutive shut-outs today he now has the opportunity to topple the British record for all competitive games, established by Chris Woods of Rangers, who went unbeaten for 1,196 minutes in 1986-87. Van der Sar, who has not conceded a league goal since a 2-1 win for Arsenal on 8 November, would need to keep out West Ham United for 75 minutes at Upton Park on Sunday week.

Hmm... the hammers are tricky customers and I consider them to be one of our recent bogey teams, but having seen them play agasint the arse yesterday, I'd say that keeping a clean sheet against them for 75 minutes is a distinct possibility.

Anyway, if we get a win, I don't care if we concede. Records are fun, but the three points are so much more important.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NateR said:
After a bit of searching i managed to find the goal-keeping record for the longest period without conceeding a goal.

Currently the "World" record is held by Geraldo Pereira de Matos Filho of Vasco Da Gama (Brazilian Team) of 1,816 mins. :eek:

World Goalkeeping Records

So as it stands, at 1,121 mins, he stands 17th on the all time list.
However i reckon Edwin's record is more impressive because of the league he is playing in. Just look at the leagues all those records were set in. No offense to those goalkeepers, but the standard wasn't that high at all.

Thanks for that Nate!

If Edwin keeps another clean sheet, he'll be up to 11th place and another 10inutes after that would seem break the top 10, which given the standard of the premier league would definitely be the most impressive IMO.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
I slagged him and rightfully so .

He picks up all the plaudits but a check on opta stats show he has next to nothing to do -----

Scott Carson believe it or not has most saves - Edwin not on the radar . For me I wont say he doesnt deserve credit but more for marshalling his defenders than great saves made through that run .

Anyone saying he wasnt shaky and indecisive in first two months of the season is looking through rose tinted specs .

He has raised his game and we look steadier with him in goal rather than pig or foster though

still need a keeper for me as age is catching up on him

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haggler said:

He picks up all the plaudits but a check on opta stats show he has next to nothing to do -----

Scott Carson believe it or not has most saves - Edwin not on the radar . For me I wont say he doesnt deserve credit but more for marshalling his defenders than great saves made through that run .

Anyone saying he wasnt shaky and indecisive in first two months of the season is looking through rose tinted specs .

He has raised his game and we look steadier with him in goal rather than pig or foster though

still need a keeper for me as age is catching up on him
Fully agree with what you've said.

Clean sheets are mainly down to a great defence, but Edwin has looked steadier than both Foster and PIG.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Fully agree with what you've said.

Clean sheets are mainly down to a great defence, but Edwin has looked steadier than both Foster and PIG.
So much of goalkeeping is down to your defence having confidence in you .

Rio came out this week and said Edwin was best he had played with .

I think Evans, rafael ,O Shea etc have slotted in smoothly down to his marshalling when Evra Brown or Ferdinand have been out .

Maybe he will stay at club as a goalkeeping/defensive coach in future years ?

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haggler said:
So much of goalkeeping is down to your defence having confidence in you .

Rio came out this week and said Edwin was best he had played with .

I think Evans, rafael ,O Shea etc have slotted in smoothly down to his marshalling when Evra Brown or Ferdinand have been out .

Maybe he will stay at club as a goalkeeping/defensive coach in future years ?
It was good to read that from Rio, because I can remember a few games last season where the two of them had a bit of a go at each other and their understanding seemed to wane. Mutual respect is amust in any team, but especially in defence it is of utmost importance.

Once your confidence in yourself or your team mates diminish, silly errors creep into a game and thankfully there have been very little of those since November.

I hear foster and kuszczak say good things about Edwin and that he always shares knowledge with them and any new ideas he has, so you might be onto something with him staying on as a coach.

I also wonde rif we'll see Raimond van der Gouw sometime. THink he's coaching at Sunderland at the moment.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
RedForceRising said:
It was good to read that from Rio, because I can remember a few games last season where the two of them had a bit of a go at each other and their understanding seemed to wane. Mutual respect is amust in any team, but especially in defence it is of utmost importance.

Once your confidence in yourself or your team mates diminish, silly errors creep into a game and thankfully there have been very little of those since November.

I hear foster and kuszczak say good things about Edwin and that he always shares knowledge with them and any new ideas he has, so you might be onto something with him staying on as a coach.

I also wonde rif we'll see Raimond van der Gouw sometime. THink he's coaching at Sunderland at the moment.
He was a great number 2 keeper . It cant be easy for second keeps as usually the only chance you get comes with an injury and the understanding is not there with defence as it is with main man . Plus its not like outfield where you could get a game in different position

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
it's gonna be hard at the hammers but it would be great if he succeeds. Following the results we had during the last years at West Ham..i would be satisfied with a draw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
SALFORD RED said:

Just as a matter of interest to all Man U Fans. A boy called Thomas McKenna smashed Chris Woods record for shut outs with a time of 1417 minutes without conceeding a goal. He was presented with the english, british and world record by Chris Woods in 1997 and this feat is contained in the Guinness Book of World Records 1997. If you have the 1997 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records, you'll find the boy right beside Ryan Giggs! Edwin still has a good bit to go. How do I know all this?....

I am Thomas McKenna. you can contact me on (Edit by -zuco-Not a great idea to leave your phone number on a public forum) for clarification

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
VDS a legend.If he doesnt have much to do then that makes his job harder as the concetration level has to be maintained throughout the game.You can't blame him because we have a rock solid defense.He's still coming out for crosses ect and is there when we need him.....

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
avongrove1 said:
Just as a matter of interest to all Man U Fans. A boy called Thomas McKenna smashed Chris Woods record for shut outs with a time of 1417 minutes without conceeding a goal. He was presented with the english, british and world record by Chris Woods in 1997 and this feat is contained in the Guinness Book of World Records 1997. If you have the 1997 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records, you'll find the boy right beside Ryan Giggs! Edwin still has a good bit to go. How do I know all this?....

I am Thomas McKenna. you can contact me on (Edit by -zuco-Not a great idea to leave your phone number on a public forum) for clarification
Well, if that's true and you are who you say you - congrats on a job well done.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
avongrove1 said:

Probably down to a good defense :p haha

seriously well done mate nice one!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Cheers mate ;)

SALFORD RED said:

wow seems as though every game he has a new record on the way :D
Delighted for Edwin, top player, top bloke. Legend!

haggler said:

and rightfully so? :confused:
He made maybe the odd mistake a game and his kicking wasnt the May West
for a little while, but people were calling for his head :rolleyes:
Every keeper makes mistakes and it was just a phase for Edwin.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts