Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Cole, Barry etc likely to retire after Brazil 2014 (I hope) we'll be looking at future players to take us to another era.

Now, personally, i'm so excited at the new crop of players coming through for England. It's a total change to what we've had before. Other than Scholes for example, we really are developing the more "Spanish type" of players. Players in crucial areas in midfield (The engine room). Players who are alot more comfortable, relaxed, composed and skillful. I find it refreshing.

Cleverley last night was very good, full of energy and creativity. But he's the tip of the iceberg........

We have Wilshere, Brilliant. We have McEachran who's going to be brilliant. We have Rodwell who's ball retention could be first rate after a few years at City. We have creativity and pace in Oxo-chamberlain and hopefully young Raheem Sterling. And we also have our own Welbeck who's technically good enough to link them all together and get goals.

If anyone who watched our games on tour during the summer would of seen Jesse Lingard. Now, ive never watched him play much, or to be honest took much notice because we had Morrison, Pogba and Tunnicliffe coming through. But you can see why United refused to pay high wages for them when you see talents like Jesse Lingard coming through. What a talent he's going to be!!.... Quick, awesome movement, stunning first time passes. I was shocked. I guess we dont know how good someone is until they play with better players.

So.... what do you think to our future? Please take this seriously. No passive one liners.

Hart​
Walker Smalling Cahill Baines/Bertrand​
Rodwell​
Wilshere Cleverley​
McEachran..............................................................Lingard​

Welbeck​

Mceachran and Lingard are left and right footed and would come inside on their favourite feet to gel the play with Walker and Bertrand overlapping the space created by them.

If we need pace and direct play, we'll have Oxo, Sterling, Walcott, A.Johnson etc for that.

If we need a hard tackling ball winner then we'll have Phil Jones for that.

I think our future can be fantastic. I think my lineup above ^^^^ could end up the best we've ever seen in a England shirt.

Your thoughts?...

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
That team looks ok but Chamberlain and Jones should be ahead of Lingard and Cahill in my opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing Wilshere and Cleverley playing together; it gives us great technical play which is something we've lacked for a while.

-----------------------------------Hart-------------------------------------
------Walker--------Smalling---------Jones----------Bertrand--------
---------------------------------Rodwell-----------------------------------
-----------------Cleverley-----------------Wilshere----------------------
------Johnson------------------Rooney---------------------Ox----------

That's the team I'd like to see.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That team looks ok but Chamberlain and Jones should be ahead of Lingard and Cahill in my opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing Wilshere and Cleverley playing together; it gives us great technical play which is something we've lacked for a while.

-----------------------------------Hart-------------------------------------
------Walker--------Smalling---------Jones----------Bertrand--------
---------------------------------Rodwell-----------------------------------
-----------------Cleverley-----------------Wilshere----------------------
------Johnson------------------Rooney---------------------Ox----------

That's the team I'd like to see.
That's a good team, direct in wider areas. But i think as we play better teams we'll need more control of the ball. And in 2/3/4 years time Welbeck will be the best all rounded striker we have. Personally, i think he's technically better than Rooney now, but Rooney's more aggressive in his play.

·
Registered
26,222 Posts
No one can predict who will live up to the hype or who will fulfill their potential. You also have to factor in any other new prospects who emerge in the next year or two and beyond.

Some players develop faster than others, which means that there are lots of late bloomers and players who develop at a rapid pace once they mature and become adults (around 19-21).

I can't really predict who will be in England's starting eleven in four years time. But I'll mention a few players who have the potential to become top class footballers.

You'll need a more modern and innovative manager than Hodgson to get the best out of these players. There has to be consistency from grassroots to the Academies to all English age groups.

Nick Powell
Larnell Cole
Jesse Lingard
Will Keane
Michael Keane
Ryan Tunnicliffe
John Cofie
Sam Johnstone
Tyler Blackett
Joe Rothwell
James Wilson

I think all of these players have the potential to be senior England internationals. And they're just Manchester United youth players and graduates.

Other promising youngsters around England are:

Nathaniel Chalobah - Chelsea
Jon Flanagan - Liverpool
James Ward-Prowse - Southampton
Mason Bennett - Derby County
Wilfried Zaha - Crystal Palace
Thomas Ince - Blackpool
Andre Wisdom - Liverpool
Saido Berahino - West Brom
Devante Cole - Manchester City
Todd Kane - Chelsea
Nico Yennaris - Arsenal
Benik Afobe - Arsenal

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless some of them have hidden talents i dont know about i doubt they'll have better natural ability to the one's i have named. Rodwell, Wilshere, McEachran etc. These lads have been raved about for 2/3 years now and are the next wave. Fergie said Lingard's going to get the recognision he deserves at 22/23. Players like Barkley and Morrison fit into that mould aswel but i couldnt fit them all into my team ;)

I agree with the manager though. I rate Roy but we need someone like Brendan Rodgers in to really get the best out of these players.

To summarise what im saying.... it will take a quality youngster, a special one, to break into the english team intime for the Euro 2016. And with today's media of youth... we would know of them aleady. I would add Shelvey onto that list. But even he isnt as good as Wilshere or Cleverley.

·
Registered
26,222 Posts
McEachran has a lot of work to do. Some of the players that I have mentioned are ahead of him in terms of development. His career has stagnated.

Lingard, although talented, also has a lot of work to do before being in contention for a starting place in England's starting eleven.

Zaha and Chalobah have serious potential. Particularly Chalobah. He's already plays like a man. He's probably Chelsea's best ever youth prospect.

And Ince is finally getting the game time that he needed in order to progress. He's already looking too good for The Championship.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
McEachran has a lot of work to do. Some of the players that I have mentioned are ahead of him in terms of development. His career has stagnated.

Lingard, although talented, also has a lot of work to do before being in contention for a starting place in England's starring eleven.

Zaha and Chalobah have serious potential. Particularly Chalobah. He's already plays like a man. He's probably Chelsea's best ever youth prospect.

And Ince is finally getting the game time that he needed in order to progress. He's already looking too good for The Championship.
Regarding McEachran, like who? He hasn't stagnated. His lack of game time has stopped him shining. He hardly got a kick for Swansea because they had Allen (went on to sign for LFC for 15m) and Siggy (who signed for Spurs). He's gone to Middlesbrough as a safe choice.

Chalobah, it's uncertain what his best position is yet. Either way he's going to find it so tough to start for England within 3/4years. Zaha.... well, my logical thinking would say he would of got snapped up by now if he had 'Serious' potential.

Personally, i dont want wingers. I want 5 midfielders like Spain and fully control games.

·
Registered
26,222 Posts
Regarding McEachran, like who? He hasn't stagnated. His lack of game time has stopped him shining. He hardly got a kick for Swansea because they had Allen (went on to sign for LFC for 15m) and Siggy (who signed for Spurs). He's gone to Middlesbrough as a safe choice.

Chalobah, it's uncertain what his best position is yet. Either way he's going to find it so tough to start for England within 3/4years. Zaha.... well, my logical thinking would say he would of got snapped up by now if he had 'Serious' potential.

Personally, i dont want wingers. I want 5 midfielders like Spain and fully control games.
Of course his career has stagnated. He's played very little football over the past year or so, having made over a dozen appearance for Chelsea during the 2010/2011 season. He's not developed further since he was 16/17. He's not a better player now than he was then. That's a worry. He needs regular games and to play in a team that suits his style of play.

Ince and Zaha have developed further than he is. They've excelled in The Championship. They will move on to better things in the next year or so.

England are not Spain and will never plays exactly like them. Spain have a lot of traits that every team should look to implement into their own style of play, but England shouldn't copy them exactly. You only need three to four players to control the middle of the park and completely dominate a game. A three man midfield and a dynamic striker or winger are more than enough. Spain play much more attacking and penetrate more when they play with two natural wide men. A winger can be direct and also have intelligence and have the ability to keep the ball. Sterling and Cole are two prime examples of that.

McEachran and Lingard both out wide will unbalance the team. By not using wide men, you're cutting out talented players such as Zaha, Sturridge, Ince, Sterling, etc.

There will be games where you'll need more bodies in midfield, but it's important not to neglect wide men all together.

Anyway, Germany and Spain will continue to dominate for at least another 10 years. ;)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course his career has stagnated. He's played very little football over the past year or so, having made over a dozen appearance for Chelsea during the 2010/2011 season. He's not developed further since he was 16/17. He's not a better player now than he was then. That's a worry. He needs regular games and to play in a team that suits his style of play.

Ince and Zaha have developed further than he is. They've excelled in The Championship. They will move on to better things in the next year or so.

England are not Spain and will never plays exactly like them. Spain have a lot of traits that every team should look to implement into their own style of play, but England shouldn't copy them exactly. You only need three to four players to control the middle of the park and completely dominate a game. A three man midfield and a dynamic striker or winger are more than enough. Spain play much more attacking and penetrate more when they play with two natural wide men. A winger can be direct and also have intelligence and have the ability to keep the ball. Sterling and Cole are two prime examples of that.

McEachran and Lingard both out wide will unbalance the team. By not using wide men, you're cutting talented players such as Zaha, Sturridge, Ince, Sterling, etc.

There will be games where you'll need more bodies in midfield, but it's important not to neglect wide men all together.

Anyway, Germany and Spain will continue to dominate for at least another 10 years. ;)
I was going to say. You edited the Premier league part.

Ince and Zaha? Please tell me you're not basing that because they started for u21's the other day and Mceachran didnt???.... Mceachran has injured. I sware he's one of the most naturally gifted players to come through in a long time. He's versatile aswel. So are Cleverley, Wilshere, Lingard, Barkley.

We can play 5 midfielders who move (well 4 with a sitter like Rodwel) and use our full backs to get the width. We dont need to be crossing the ball and hoping for the best anymore with these talents. The key to this is movement. And all of them move sooo well. Into space, into channels. Wilshere, Cleverley, McEachran, Lingard... they all do it.

Watch this....The movement is lovely.

We have the wingers as a back-up anyway. Or use one of them and ball player on the other side.

·
Registered
26,222 Posts
McEachran has a lot of potential. No doubt. But so far he hasn't lived up to it. He has a lot of work to do, which I've already said. Just because he's talented doesn't mean that he's going to fulfill his potential. Lots of players don't.

And unless Rodwell seriously improves at City and plays regularly, the likes of Chalobah and Tunnicliffe could push ahead of him in reckoning for a starting place by 2016. He's another player who's progress has stalled.

I know more about movement and the Spanish philosophy than anyone. You're living in a fantasy world if you think England will be playing exactly like Spain by the 2016 qualifying games. The future is uncertain. A lot will change between then and now.

But anyway, aren't you the guy who creamed over Taarabt about a year ago and then talked Neymar down? :D

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
McEachran has a lot of potential. No doubt. But so far he hasn't lived up to it. He has a lot of work to do, which I've already said. Just because he's talented doesn't mean that he's going to fulfill his potential. Lots of players don't.

And unless Rodwell seriously improves at City and plays regularly, the likes of Chalobah and Tunnicliffe could push ahead of him in reckoning for a starting place by 2016. He's another player who's progress has stalled.

I know more about movement and the Spanish philosophy than anyone. You're living in a fantasy world if you think England will be playing exactly like Spain by the 2016 qualifying games. The future is uncertain. A lot will change between then and now.

But anyway, aren't you the guy who creamed over Taarabt about a year ago and then talked Neymar down? :D
Im not saying the standard be as high as them, but the philosophy, why not?? The only thing whats stopping is the lack of managers who will allow them to play that way and brave enough to pick them. And again, regarding McEachran, his platform as been alot tougher than anyone elses upto now. Think about it.... Clev at the same age was in league 1 with Leicester, Wilshere came through under a manager who loves kids, Rodwel who came through at Everton. You need to understand the reality of it, some players dont have the same path.

Im that guy. That was mainly an attempt to educate fans who rave about the brazilians without watching them. And Taarabts work ethic is letting me down. hes only 23 himself. Im adament under the circumstances he'll excel to a top standard. On this occasion i probably am going to be wrong but it happens time and time again with people raving about names without watching them.

·
"You're Pretty Good"
15,946 Posts
Rooney will still be there starting, guaranteed.

McEachran has done absolutely nothing to suggest he's going to be a big player, had a decent run of form a few years ago with their academy, has done nothing at senior level. Not saying he's not a talent, he's still ridiculously young but comparing him to Wilshere and the likes is ridiculous. He's very small, I mean he really needs to fill out. Putting him and Lingard ahead of AOC and Sterling right now is laughable. Ince looks absolutely class too, really seems streets ahead of Championship level right now.

Likely team for that tournament IMO.

Hart​
Walker Smalling Jones Baines​
Wilshere Rodwell​
AOC Cleverley Sterling​
Rooney​
I actually think AOC's best position may come through the middle. Baines/Gibbs/Bertrand could all start.​

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
McEachran is 5 10! haha. Hows that small. Lightweight maybe.

The thing about me is... i dont have to wait til they play for their first team, score loads of goals before i make a opinion on things. This time next year McEachran and Lingard could be starting for Chelsea and United respectively, and i wont remember this conversation or your name.

People only see whats infront of them.

·
"You're Pretty Good"
15,946 Posts
McEachran is 5 10! haha. Hows that small. Lightweight maybe.

The thing about me is... i dont have to wait til they play for their first team, score loads of goals before i make a opinion on things. This time next year McEachran and Lingard could be starting for Chelsea and United respectively, and i wont remember this conversation or your name.

People only see whats infront of them.
Obviously I meant that.

Neither McEachran or Lingard will be starting for their clubs next season, they'll at best be rotation players and I doubt that will happen either. McEachran will be sold in the next 2 years, quote me on that.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Chamberlain could easily play the role you envisage for Lingard...

Also, I don't see Cleverley's role in the team lasting very long when he isn't as talented as a few players in his position, despite being a couple of years older than them. Only thing that could work in his favour is playing for United - that's if he's still here and playing regularly.

·
Registered
26,222 Posts
Im not saying the standard be as high as them, but the philosophy, why not?? The only thing whats stopping is the lack of managers who will allow them to play that way and brave enough to pick them. And again, regarding McEachran, his platform as been alot tougher than anyone elses upto now. Think about it.... Clev at the same age was in league 1 with Leicester, Wilshere came through under a manager who loves kids, Rodwel who came through at Everton. You need to understand the reality of it, some players dont have the same path.

Im that guy. That was mainly an attempt to educate fans who rave about the brazilians without watching them. And Taarabts work ethic is letting me down. hes only 23 himself. Im adament under the circumstances he'll excel to a top standard. On this occasion i probably am going to be wrong but it happens time and time again with people raving about names without watching them.
Because you are your own country and have your own identity. Like I said already, you should implement aspects of the Spanish philosophy but not change your style completely. England have some very talented players who suit a more direct style than the one you're suggesting. There has to be a balance. Wilshere, Cleverley, Oxlade-Chamberlain, etc can provide the class and elegance that you're looking for, but you still need an end product and players who can score goals. That's why it's important not to cut out wide men completely. Welbeck can't be relied upon to carry the senior team with just his goals. He's still not a prolific goalscorer just yet, though the rest of his game is very good.

Again, like I said before, different players develop at different rates. McEachran has the potential but it's important that he plays well in the next year or so like Wilshere and Cleverley did in their late teens and early 20's.

Taarabt is going to achieve nothing. Neymar will be one of the world's best players in a year or two.

·
Registered
26,222 Posts
Ross Barkley is another one who will feature. Completely forgot about him.
He has been outclassed by several of our youth players and youngsters whenever we have played Everton Reserves over the past two seasons.

I think he'll probably end up being a player who never lived up to the hype. I hope I'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts