Manchester United Talk banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Hi
7,245 Posts
This is exactly what i mean!!... No control.

Im fed up of our midfielders so far apart, not wanting the ball, controling it, passing it and wanting it again.

The faster we get Gerrard and Lampard out, and Wilshere and Cleverley (facing the bloody goal instead with his back from it) in the team the better. We need players in who WANT to control the game!!

Cleverley sometimes drifts in and out of games, so I don't feel he is ready yet to control games, but to replace Lampard, yes, for sure, if Lamps plays the way he did today. Once Cleverley scores one goal, I reckon they'll start flooding in. He gets intro great positions, but either missed them aka today, or dawdles too long before passing the ball. He'll mature and learn so I think he should aim to get 10 goals / season to start with.

I think Gerrard played very well in the first half, pinging great balls everywhere, but in the second half he sort of drifted of the boil.

I have no idea why Lampard was given MOTM. He scored a great penalty under pressure. Did absolutely nothing else. Welbeck was MOTM. When he came on, he could control the ball and link up the attacking players with the midfield. He caused the defence problems consistently, defended when required and won the penalty.

Not sure what happened with Oxlade Chamberlain. Never got going, never saw a real bursting run going forward, and highlighted by the analysis, just let the attacker go whilst on defensive duties. Young and great experience for him to learn from.

Lescott has quietly done a great job in defence.

Roy's substitutions worked well, but I'm not so sure whether all the credit should go to the manager, since he didn't really have many other options to bring on.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Cleverley sometimes drifts in and out of games, so I don't feel he is ready yet to control games, but to replace Lampard, yes, for sure, if Lamps plays the way he did today. Once Cleverley scores one goal, I reckon they'll start flooding in. He gets intro great positions, but either missed them aka today, or dawdles too long before passing the ball. He'll mature and learn so I think he should aim to get 10 goals / season to start with.

I think Gerrard played very well in the first half, pinging great balls everywhere, but in the second half he sort of drifted of the boil.

I have no idea why Lampard was given MOTM. He scored a great penalty under pressure. Did absolutely nothing else. Welbeck was MOTM. When he came on, he could control the ball and link up the attacking players with the midfield. He caused the defence problems consistently, defended when required and won the penalty.

Not sure what happened with Oxlade Chamberlain. Never got going, never saw a real bursting run going forward, and highlighted by the analysis, just let the attacker go whilst on defensive duties. Young and great experience for him to learn from.

Lescott has quietly done a great job in defence.

Roy's substitutions worked well, but I'm not so sure whether all the credit should go to the manager, since he didn't really have many other options to bring on.

You made some good points and I agree but I think the problem is the midfield. How they use the ball and how they move off it. Gerrard for all his ability, power and experience is, like you said, is pinging long balls. He's going from A to D and missing out of B and C. These long balls are bypassing lampard and Cleverley. He has no composure or skill to really control the game. Lampard.... He passes it then automatically runs forward into the box. Yeah that's good and positive but it's not what we need anymore. We need control.

Cleverley, yea he's not got the experience but he plays the shorter game. Quick one twos. Pass and move getting the rythem going. We need that now. Him and Wilshere would literally play together, be closer together, wanting the ball from the centre halfs etc.

To summarise, we need to play the enthusiastic short game in midfield now.

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
As soon as Wilshere is back in the first team fold for Arsenal then Lampard will be out the England side so quickly.

Wilshere is head and shoulders above any English midfielder and will be one of, if not our most important player in years to come. He's playing his second game tonight in the Arsenal under-21's so he should be back in the first team by the end of the month.

As for Friday...

Joe Hart

Kyle Walker
Jagielka
Cahill
Cole (if banned then Baines)

Gerrard
Cleverley
Carrick

Walcott
Rooney
Chamberlain

Although Milner and Johnson are Roy's love child's so they'll no doubt start the game.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts