Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight we have witnessed Rooney as a STRIKER,not a full back,centre mid,left winger...an out and out STRIKER.He was absolutley fantastic tonight,he helped create chances in the middle of the park but didnt drive too far back.He linked up well with Gay-rrard and Schpeckham and finished 2 fantastic goals.He had a looping shot early doors and I thought ,here we go,this boy is on it.He looked so so comfortable in that very high end central role and was getting some great service.So a question on my mind is did Rooney perform better tonight because:

a) The service was alot better than he's receiving with us

or

b)He stuck to the central role he is very much about

Im not doubting anything he does with us,all im trying to suss is what helps Wazza 'click',is it the service,position or a mixture of the 2?

Thankyou & Goodnight

:first::second::third:

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You think? :confused:

He was on the left wing quite a lot tonight, especially in the first half. He did play well though and fully deserved his goals and the man of the match award.
I think he was up top ALOT more than with us.HE was on the left,yes,which has been a long term thing with us,but im trying to hit the fact that when the delivery was there,he was bang in postion up top,where as quite alot of times with us,when the balls whipped in,ts either HIM doing the work which leads to no-one being there or the delivery is very poor and thats what brings out his fustration

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I just did a double take when I saw Rooney HEAD the ball in. That happens once in a blue moon.

Ferguson will be happy. He's mentioned on occasion that Rooney should use his head more.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but some of it might have to do with the opposition as well. He wasn't even challenged on either goal. Not taking anything away from him as he still had to perform, but the opposition didn't really put up much of a fight it seemed...

·
Banned
161 Posts
I didn`t watch the game... *********, you guys get to watch these great games live, while all we get is US vs Mexico every other ***** week.

Any videos of wooney performance/goals?

·
Banned
9,511 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Rooney has a great understanding with Stevie G and they interchanged a fair bit on the left and centrally.
I think Fabio has finally realised how to accommodate Lampard and Gerrard in the same team.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
So impressed with how Capello has got this team playing. They've gone from a team full of big names who just couldn't operate in the slightest on the pitch to a team thats working and moving magnificently as a unit. I have a feeling even that the interplay with Rooney and Gerrard was probably planned by Capello on the training ground. He will have said "one of you pick up the ball on the left ad move inside with it, while the other moves into the space left on the left hand side and switch it back out to them" they did that so many times.

Capello I already knew was a fantastic manager now he's gone up even further in my estimations. The team are evolving every match and its a joy to watch.

I think Rooney's recent England form just proves he plays better working off an out-and-out striker too, and I bet he scores more goals with that kind of strike partner too.

I'm confident England, with a bit of luck, can reach the semi finals of the next world cup. I won't predict any further because there are a lot of great teams out there and to get into the top 4 would be a fantastic achievement that I would not be at all disapointed with.

Z

·
0 Posts
I think you might be getting a bit ahead of yourself there Richie. They played well yesterday but let's be honest, it wasn't first class opposition we were facing. Slovakia have lost 12 out of their last 13 friendlies I think. Even Wales put 5 goals past them

The positives are there for the future, but I won't be singing their praises just yet until we're beating teams that are on a similar level to us.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I think you might be getting a bit ahead of yourself there Richie. They played well yesterday but let's be honest, it wasn't first class opposition we were facing. Slovakia have lost 12 out of their last 13 friendlies I think. Even Wales put 5 goals past them

The positives are there for the future, but I won't be singing their praises just yet until we're beating teams that are on a similar level to us.
What I said may have been misinterpreted easily. i wasn't suggesting that on current form we could get to the semi-finals. Its the way he's gradually improving us game by game, that I think he will have it planned out so we improve to our optimum by the time the world cup comes around.

And in fairness we did beat the Euro 2008 finalists Germany quite resoundingly when he had developed as a team far less than we have now. Spain taught us a lesson however, although we did have massively important players out, I was embarrassed by our long balls to Heskey and Agbonlohor and Spain's brilliance. But step by step, we are getting there.

Z

·
0 Posts
We're definitely heading in the right direction, but there's a long way to go before we've a chance of winning a tournament in my opinion. Capello has more of a chance of improving this team than any of the last few managers though. Sven had tactical knowledge but no passion, Mclaren had neither, Capello seems to have them both. We needed a manager who wasn't scared to stand on the touchline and give the players a bollocking and it looks like Capello is willing to do that.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
We're definitely heading in the right direction, but there's a long way to go before we've a chance of winning a tournament in my opinion. Capello has more of a chance of improving this team than any of the last few managers though. Sven had tactical knowledge but no passion, Mclaren had neither, Capello seems to have them both. We needed a manager who wasn't scared to stand on the touchline and give the players a bollocking and it looks like Capello is willing to do that.
I think England have as good a chance as anyone if Im being honest. We have seen with teams like Denmark and Greece that anyone can win a major trophy on their day. International football isnt as strong as a lot of people think. Brazil and Argentina (2 of the so called best teams) have struggled a bit in recent times, especially Brazil. Top teams like Italy, France, Germany and Portugal werent what they used to be. Italy being World Champions are a prime example. They struggled in the Euro's and dont have the same calibre of player they once had.

I think Spain are the team to beat now. They have one of the best keepers, the best midfielders and some world class strikers. They are rightfully no.1 in the World.
Holland are pretty good as well but have always under performed in the big tournaments, mainly down to unrest/fighting in the camp.

Also, if you look at the teams that are currently leading their qualification groups in Europe there is no one to really fear apart from Spain and Holland as I mentioned above and Germany perhaps. You can never count out the Germans.
Italy, Serbia, N.Ireland, Germany, Greece, Denmark. Some of them may not qualify but it goes to show that a lot of teams have a chance.

England could very possibly win the WC. They need their bit of luck on the day, no injuries and some major penalty shoot out practice.;) Good a chance as anyone imo.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I think England have as good a chance as anyone if Im being honest. We have seen with teams like Denmark and Greece that anyone can win a major trophy on their day. International football isnt as strong as a lot of people think. Brazil and Argentina (2 of the so called best teams) have struggled a bit in recent times, especially Brazil. Top teams like Italy, France, Germany and Portugal werent what they used to be. Italy being World Champions are a prime example. They struggled in the Euro's and dont have the same calibre of player they once had.

I think Spain are the team to beat now. They have one of the best keepers, the best midfielders and some world class strikers. They are rightfully no.1 in the World.
Holland are pretty good as well but have always under performed in the big tournaments, mainly down to unrest/fighting in the camp.

Also, if you look at the teams that are currently leading their qualification groups in Europe there is no one to really fear apart from Spain and Holland as I mentioned above and Germany perhaps. You can never count out the Germans.
Italy, Serbia, N.Ireland, Germany, Greece, Denmark. Some of them may not qualify but it goes to show that a lot of teams have a chance.

England could very possibly win the WC. They need their bit of luck on the day, no injuries and some major penalty shoot out practice.;) Good a chance as anyone imo.
Good post Jazz. I think you're right about the standard of some of the teams being less than it was. I think some times in the big international games it can come down to passion and I'm sure England will have plenty of it under Capello. He takes no shit off anybody and its bringing the best out of the players. The egos have vanished and have been replaced by team spirit.

I have to say though, Spain are streets ahead of everybody else. There are a really wonderful team and a true example of how football should be played. Argentina are probably the closest behind them, they will play their hearts of for Maradonna, and are all technically excellent and they have Messi!

I don't think for a second that England will win the world cup but a semi final place is very possible.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts