Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roy Hodgson has announced his England squad for the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers against Moldova and Ukraine.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is the omission of Ashley Young. 3 Man United players do feature (highlighted in bold).

He has gone with...

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole
(Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Sunderland), Frank Lampard
(Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

Forwards: Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

·
Banned
1,848 Posts
If i was an England fan i would be worried about that group of strikers not much goals between them.

Not surprised to see Young left out, would expect Bertrand to act as cover for the left side of midfield seeing as Cole and Baines would be the left backs.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I don't really see the point in picking Bertrand when there are four full-backs and four wingers in the squad already. I would've gone with Bent instead.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
LOL, he's literally played 8 games in his career.

Can only think this is so he commits to England rather than Jamaica.

Lallana is a pretty good pick though.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The squad for the games against San Marino and Poland has been announced...

England squad: Forster, Hart, Ruddy; Baines, Cahill, A Cole, Gibbs, Jagielka, G Johnson, Lescott, Walker, Shawcross; Carrick, Cleverley, Gerrard, A Johnson, Lennon, Lampard, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott; Defoe, Rooney, Welbeck, Carroll

I'm not really sure why we have 3 left-backs (A Cole, Baines & Gibbs).

I'm glad to see Shawcross given a chance but am surprised about Fraser Forster's call up.

Hopefully, Rooney will bang in a hat-trick against San Marino!

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts
Milner has played just one game (League Cup) since the last international break, not a single PL or CL minute in that time. That's before you take into account how poor he's been for England when he's played recently, what's he done to deserve to be in this squad.

Cleverley is getting in on club and reputation alone. The rest of the squad is decent, enough has been said on Rio not to have to go through it all again.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shelvey and Bertrand have been called up to the England squad.

I assume that means Gibbs is not fit. I'm not sure who Shelvey is replacing.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hodgson has more or less confirmed his team for the game against San Marino...

Hart
Walker Jagielka Cahill Baines
Walcott Cleverley Carrick Oxlade-Chamberlain
Welbeck Rooney

That means Ashley Cole is being "rested" and will not reach 100 caps during this international break, Carrick starts(!) and Hodgson said it is unlikely Lescott, Milner or Defoe will feature at any point as they are just 1 yellow card away from a ban.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12016/8160643/Leighton-Baines-to-replace-Ashley-Cole-for-England-against-San-Marino

·
"You're Pretty Good"
15,946 Posts
England could be looking at their 1st choice team having up to 7 United players soon.

Jones, Smalling, Carrick, Cleverley, Young, Rooney, Welbeck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hodgson has more or less confirmed his team for the game against San Marino...

Hart
Walker Jagielka Cahill Baines
Walcott Cleverley Carrick Oxlade-Chamberlain
Welbeck Rooney

That means Ashley Cole is being "rested" and will not reach 100 caps during this international break, Carrick starts(!) and Hodgson said it is unlikely Lescott, Milner or Defoe will feature at any point as they are just 1 yellow card away from a ban.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12016/8160643/Leighton-Baines-to-replace-Ashley-Cole-for-England-against-San-Marino
pretty much the exact team id play, defoe should definately start aead of welbeck though based on current form!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
pretty much the exact team id play, defoe should definately start aead of welbeck though based on current form!
I agree. Protecting him from getting booked against San Marino seems a bit daft to me. Defoe isn't the type of player to be flying in with tackles and San Marino won't see much of the ball. Surely Hodgson could have just had a word before the game telling him to be sensible and not pick up a booking. No England player should be getting booked against such inferior opposition - we should be in complete control of the game.

1 - 20 of 293 Posts