Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prime Minister Gordon Brown has expressed his delight at Fifa opening the door for England to bid to stage the 2018 World Cup finals. Fifa's old policy of continent rotation had ruled England out of the running, however, a recent decision to change the guidelines means they are now free to put their case forward. Brown seems keen for England to host football's biggest event but what are your thoughts on a potential bid?
We do not want it!! Like the Olympics its an escalating VERY expensive opportunity to spend billions that can be better spent on something else. The only advantage of England hostiing the World Cup is that we qualify!!!

NO!! We simply cannot afford it. Maybe the Government of the time may think different, ask them, in arabic, www.muslimgovt.co.uk

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Red Devil said:
We do not want it!! Like the Olympics its an escalating VERY expensive opportunity to spend billions that can be better spent on something else. The only advantage of England hostiing the World Cup is that we qualify!!!

NO!!
Quite true !!

A very good way to waste money - as RD said the Olympics is going to cost
billions - then 6 more years later they want to throw more money away !!

Rather self indulgent I say.......

·
Registered
788 Posts
I would love to see the WC in England. Be great to have all the best players in the world playing in the WC in England, Old Trafford holding a WC Semi-Final, at least we would have to spend hundreds maybe thousands on travelling to the WC like if it was in Brazil or China. England defo have the instructare to host the finals! I say why not! Be good for the English game!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Keano4taoiseach said:
"The only advantage of England hostiing the World Cup is that we qualify!!!"

I would piss myself.......several times over......if you held it and didn't qualify....
Insightful eh? :rolleyes:
They qualify automatically if they are hosting the World Cup :p lol

ARBUCKS said:
I would love to see the WC in England. Be great to have all the best players in the world playing in the WC in England, Old Trafford holding a WC Semi-Final, at least we would have to spend hundreds maybe thousands on travelling to the WC like if it was in Brazil or China. England defo have the instructare to host the finals! I say why not! Be good for the English game!
Totally agree Bucks. Living next door would be super handy for us Irish. I see RD's point about it being a waste of money but as it doesnt affect me Im all for it I guess.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Same as Jazz, It will not do anything to us money! Handy as hell , The WC a 30min glight away not to bad at all my friend!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
For purely selfish reasons I would love to have the World Cup in England simply because I love attending live sporting events.

Apart from football, I've seen live golf, snooker, basketball, American football and in December will be going to my first rugby union game. I already have plans to go to my 3rd Open (golf) next year.

I was excited by Gordon Brown's description of 'possibly the greatest decade of sport in this countrys history'. Potentially we could have the Olympics, Commonwealth Games, Cricket World Cup, Rugby World Cup and Football World Cup in England all in the space of a few years.

Bring it on!!!

·
Registered
788 Posts
The Football Association has confirmed it will bid for the 2018 World Cup.
The FA made an attempt to stage the tournament in 2006 but lost out as Germany won the right to play host.

But it believes the time is right to bid again after Fifa, the sport's world governing body, ended its controversial rotation policy earlier this week.

England are likely to face opposition to host the 2018 event, with Belgium, Netherlands, China, Australia, Mexico and the United States also interested.

England have hosted the World Cup once before in 1966, winning the tournament that year by beating West Germany 4-2 in the final.

606: DEBATE
Should England bid to host the 2018 World Cup?

The FA looks to be in good financial shape to launch a bid.

FA chief executive Brian Barwick claims the organisation is in its "strongest ever financial position" after agreeing new international broadcast rights for the next four years.

The rights to FA Cup and England home games, which run from 2008-2012, are now worth a total of £145m compared to £39m for the previous four-year period.

British prime minister Gordon Brown has already thrown the government's weight behind a bid

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
even though im not in europe:( i would love to see England host it.Imagine seing OT hosting a World Cup Game. It would be massive for England but they have to gather the funds first

·
Registered
5 Posts
well, if they don't organize the world cup in Mexico, I'll be very happy if it's in england... I'll go without doubt!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I wouldnt mind it in England just cos i may be able to get to a few of the games and i wont have to be up at stupid times to watch the games on tv.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Things like the world cup and the olympic's generate enough income and help regenerate area's which discount's the theory that is costs to much money. Also the world cup would be alot cheaper to hold in england as we have alot more world cup standard stadiums than every country in the world.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Would be amazin IF ... Wales qualified :p!
Which would be unlikely well tbh it should be as long as the 2012 olympics go well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts