Manchester United Talk banner

England U21's

29K views 511 replies 58 participants last post by  JakeRider 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Great news that Wilshere has been included, good to see England aren't taking this lightly very strong squad(Cue, another Wenger rant).

Should be a great tournament, always some very good players produced. Remember the last one, the quality was amazing. Looking forward to see who Spain bring, they have a very strong squad to choose from.

#4 ·
Freddy Sears, lol. He's scored one goal in his entire career. He's shite.

With the possible exception of Muamba I don't see the point of taking 23-year-olds since realistically their chances of progressing to the senior team are slim. We are better off taking players like Chamberlain.

We should win the competition in any case.

Also whatever happened with Junior Stanislas? Had potential.

#5 ·
Carroll and Wilshere wouldn't be in the provisional squad if they wasn't going.

My Prediction for the starting 11....

Keeper

Walker Richards Smalling Gibbs

Henderson Muamba Wilshere

Sturridge Carroll Welbeck

The team i want.....

Keeper

Richards P.Jones Smalling Gibbs

McEachran Rodwell Wilshere

Cleverley Carroll Welbeck

#6 ·
It looks like a stong squad of players to choose from.

Hopefully the likes of Richards, Smalling, Gibbs, McEachran, Rodwell, Wilshere, Cleverley, Carroll, Sturridge and Welbeck can all stay fit for the tournament. If they do I honestly think England have a realistic chance of winning it.

Something to watch during the summer anyway.

#7 ·
It looks like a stong squad of players to choose from.

Hopefully the likes of Richards, Smalling, Gibbs, McEachran, Rodwell, Wilshere, Cleverley, Carroll, Sturridge and Welbeck can all stay fit for the tournament. If they do I honestly think England have a realistic chance of winning it.

Something to watch during the summer anyway.
The good thing is all them you've named are likely to play for England in the near future.

#8 ·
Jack Wilshere in England Under 21s squad, according to Arsene Wenger | Mail Online

Arsene Wenger has hit out at England for including Jack Wilshere in their 23-man squad for this summer's European Under 21 championships.

The Arsenal manager believes Stuart Pearce is putting Wilshere's long-term health at risk by selecting the 19-year-old, who has already played over 50 games for club and country this season.

'Jack Wilshere is in the red for a while now and this can be a risk for his health', Wenger said.

'He will respect the decision. He knows that he is nearly at the end of his energy level but he is keen to do well.

'He has played 50 games this year. To go to a tournament for me is a massive risk.

'I am happy if the Under 21s do well because I want England to do very well. I think it is not the right decision but will respect (it) and let him go.'

Despite Wenger's opposition, Wilshere's selection is no surprise, with Pearce having included him in his provisional 40-man squad earlier this month.

Fellow senior international Andy Carroll was also included but there was doubt over whether the Liverpool striker would take his place in the final 23.

That was due to be announced on Thursday but the confirmed final squad will now be held back until Monday after the final round of Barclays Premier League matches, and the same day as the senior squad is revealed for the European Championship qualifier against Switzerland on June 4.

Carroll has told Pearce he is not sure his body will be able to cope with the demands of the European Under 21 Championship after playing for Fabio Capello's senior squad against Switzerland next month.

Carroll, who has made just nine appearances since December because of thigh and knee problems, believes his body would benefit more from proper rest this summer rather than the demands of a tournament.

Reports suggest the 22-year-old had expressed concern over his fitness after enduring an injury-hit second half of the season, and questioned whether tournament football could do him more harm than good ahead of the new campaign.

Also, like Wenger, Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has suggested he is not in favour of players being drafted back into the Under 21 fold after graduating to the senior set-up.

Pearce has been adamant that including the best players at his disposal is crucial not only to England's chances this summer but also to boosting the country's hopes of success at future World Cups and European Championships.

One player who has confirmed he did not make the final 23 is Watford goalkeeper Scott Loach.

His omission may spark speculation Fabio Capello is preparing to make him a permanent part of the senior set-up following Ben Foster's decision to make himself unavailable for selection.

Loach, who was twice promoted last year following a series of withdrawals, wrote on Twitter yesterday: 'Didn't make final 23..so no more 21s for me.

'Just an honour to have gained 14 caps for my country. Time to relax n have a few weeks off now.'

Both Wilshere and Carroll are expected to be named in the senior squad for the June 4 Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland at Wembley meaning they would miss the under-21s' pre-tournament training camp.

England's Under 21 Championship campaign begins on June 12 and they will play three games in eight days, and five in 15 days if they reach the final.

#12 ·
Do you know something i don't? I'll be amazed if he's not in it.
He's been included in the U-19's Elite qualifier games, coming up in June.

Pearce is on record as saying he won't won't take him away from that level, where he's a key player, unless he can be sure he'll play him. With Pearce prefering Wilshere, Henderson, Rodwell, Muamba and Rose ahead of Josh, it's hard to see him picking him.

Anyway, McEachran isn't a regular at U-21 level. Sure he's played about 4 games but most of them have been with the B/C team. He was initially overlooked for the squad against Denmark and Iceland until a few players pulled out injured.

Like I say, I doubt he'll go but happy to be proven wrong.

#13 ·
He's been included in the U-19's Elite qualifier games, coming up in June.

Pearce is on record as saying he won't won't take him away from that level, where he's a key player, unless he can be sure he'll play him. With Pearce prefering Wilshere, Henderson, Rodwell, Muamba and Rose ahead of Josh, it's hard to see him picking him.

Anyway, McEachran isn't a regular at U-21 level. Sure he's played about 4 games but most of them have been with the B/C team. He was initially overlooked for the squad against Denmark and Iceland until a few players pulled out injured.

Like I say, I doubt he'll go but happy to be proven wrong.
Im a bit disapointed actaully but when you look at those players you've named and how much experience they've got you cant really blame Pearce from dropping him down a level.

Just seen the u19 squad and on paper that's very strong aswel. Chamberlain, Wickham, Gary Gardner (who's highly rated) and liverpool's Shelvey and Flanaghan.

God knows why Morrison and Tunnicliffe not involved in that though.

#14 ·
Im a bit disapointed actaully but when you look at those players you've named and how much experience they've got you cant really blame Pearce from dropping him down a level.

Just seen the u19 squad and on paper that's very strong aswel. Chamberlain, Wickham, Gary Gardner (who's highly rated) and liverpool's Shelvey and Flanaghan.

God knows why Morrison and Tunnicliffe not involved in that though.
I can only assume Morrison's off field issues are at play. The England youth selectors work closely with United when it comes to dealing with his call ups and it could be both parties agreed to leave him out. I know they came to a similar arrangement with Will Keane, though in his case it's about injury recovery.

Tunnicliffe has pulled out of a couple of friendly squads recently and others have taken his place and cemented it for these games. He'll be back in the next set of friendlies I assume.

I think McEachran should go with the U-21s personally. The U-19s are going to Switzerland for qualifiers and not a tournament. The actual tournament they're qualifying for clashes with pre-season, meaning he won't go to it.

The U-21 Euros is his best chance of tournament football this summer, which he needs. Muamba, who's 22/23, and has already been to a tournament, should be dropped IMO.

#15 ·
I can only assume Morrison's off field issues are at play. The England youth selectors work closely with United when it comes to dealing with his call ups and it could be both parties agreed to leave him out. I know they came to a similar arrangement with Will Keane, though in his case it's about injury recovery.

Tunnicliffe has pulled out of a couple of friendly squads recently and others have taken his place and cemented it for these games. He'll be back in the next set of friendlies I assume.

I think McEachran should go with the U-21s personally. The U-19s are going to Switzerland for qualifiers and not a tournament. The actual tournament they're qualifying for clashes with pre-season, meaning he won't go to it.

The U-21 Euros is his best chance of tournament football this summer, which he needs. Muamba, who's 22/23, and has already been to a tournament, should be dropped IMO.
It's just odd that United are willing to let the likes of Johnstone and Thorpe to take part but not the 'better' ones. But nevermind, the quality in the u19's is very strong.

Not a tournament? qualifiers all in one location? that's odd aswel.

I personally love McEeachran. In terms of talent he isn't far from the seniors nevermind the u21's. End of day, Pearce wants to win it, wants experienced players to makes sure we do. I just wanted McEachran and Wilshere in the same team gelling as quick as possible because they are our future.

#16 ·
It's just odd that United are willing to let the likes of Johnstone and Thorpe to take part but not the 'better' ones. But nevermind, the quality in the u19's is very strong.

Not a tournament? qualifiers all in one location? that's odd aswel.

I personally love McEeachran. In terms of talent he isn't far from the seniors nevermind the u21's. End of day, Pearce wants to win it, wants experienced players to makes sure we do. I just wanted McEachran and Wilshere in the same team gelling as quick as possible because they are our future.
The 19s aren't going to a tournament. They're going to Switzerland to complete the 2nd part of the qualification process, called the 'Elite round'. It's a 4 team group stage, where only the group winner qualifies to the actual tournament. They randomly pick one of the teams to host the games in their country so all games are played in the same country.

McEachran's a very special talent. It's said that United tried hard to get him off Chelsea when he was 15.

The Chelsea academy hasn't been exactly productive but they might have unearthed a couple of gems in him and Nathaniel Chalobah.

#18 ·
It's a very strong team.

Centerback pairing of Smalling & Jones.

Fowards pairing of Wellers and Sturridge.

Guessing Muamba and Henderson in the middle, with Cleverley and Albrighton on the wings. Richards and Gibbs RWB and LWB.

Not sure about the GKs.

GK

Richards Smalling Jones Gibbs

Albrighton Henderson Muamba Cleverley

Sturridge Welbeck​

Looking forward to this and spying some gems.

#21 ·
Spain have Busquets, Thiago, De Gea, Bojan and Mata in their squad. Pearce really should've grown a pair and picked Wilshere to be able to compete with that lot.

Sturridge and Welbeck should be in the senior squad given the dreadful form of Defoe and Crouch.
Aren't some of them overage, and don't you have to have played a part in the qualifiers if you are overage?

#23 ·
Even though we've had some big talents pulling out i still think we'll do well in this.

A midfield consisting of Muamba, Rodwell and Henderson isn't the most elegent and full of flair but it's a very strong one non the less. Welbeck, Sturridge and Cleverley can win it for us im sure.

#24 ·
Carroll, Wilshire, Richards, Walcott, all not going... Big players... Mixed bag.

In some ways its good because then you get to give more youngsters a place and they can prove themselves and hopefully make the senior squad.
BUT i think i'm right in saying that what the Spanish and Germans do is bring through a whole batch from the U-21's at the same time, so they are used to playing with each other, which would mean having those 4 at the tournament would be better.

Its probably been discussed but what are people's views on this?

Generally i think the former, but i have to say that i'm a bit of a traditionalist and that i'd rather we copied some of the more progressive countries in youth development.

#26 ·
It's a very strong team.

Centerback pairing of Smalling & Jones.

Fowards pairing of Wellers and Sturridge.

Guessing Muamba and Henderson in the middle, with Cleverley and Albrighton on the wings. Richards and Gibbs RWB and LWB.

Not sure about the GKs.

GK

Richards Smalling Jones Gibbs

Albrighton Henderson Muamba Cleverley

Sturridge Welbeck​

Looking forward to this and spying some gems.
A good feeling looking back at this post not knowing at the time that Jones would be ours :happy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.